Start by marking “City of Secrets: The Truth Behind the Murders at the Vatican” as Want to Read:
City of Secrets: The Truth Behind the Murders at the Vatican

City of Secrets: The Truth Behind the Murders at the Vatican

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  12 reviews
On the heels of one of the greatest public scandals to rock the Catholic Church comes an explosive exposé of murder and corruption in the highest reaches of the Vatican, the oldest and most secretive autocracy in the world.

On the night of Monday, May 4, 1998, in Vatican territory, the bodies of the commander of the Swiss Guard, his wife, and a young lance corporal were fou
Published January 7th 2003 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about City of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Secrets

Gerald Sinstadt
A young man from a broken family background (doting mother, wastrel father, violent stepfather) joins the army, is bullied by a commanding officer who cruelly denies him a warranted medal. The young man then kills the officer and the officer's wife before turning his gun on himself.

In a compassionate society there would have been public outrage and demands for an enquiry. But not in the case of Lance Corporal Cédric Tornay. Because this army was the Swiss Guard, the Pope's private defence force
Eva
Definitely an interesting read. Obviously the Vatican is a very secretive place, but this book might blow your mind a little about the lengths that they will actually go to to protect their way of life. Not the most amazingly written book I've ever read but it definitely fit the bill for an interesting and quick read.
Ed
Scandalous triple murder-suicide rocks Vatican. What really happened?
I liked the way this book made me feel as if I were there, walking in the streets and hallways of the tiny Vatican nation.The information on the Swiss Guard was also interesting.
Marianne Meyers
Weak. This could have been a page turner but instead is very tepid and all over the place.
Chris
Not bad, but it just seems to be related rumors more than anything else.
S.H. Villa
Well, if the Vatican had any secrets, they still have them, because they ain’t in this book. Poor management, yes, bullying in the Guards, and homosexuality, possibly.

Some time ago I did some research on Opus Dei to use in one of my Spanish crime series. I was surprised to see Opus Dei mentioned in connection with a book published in 2003 which I hadn’t come across, so I bought it and read it.

I began to suspect about 2/3rds through that Follain wouldn’t find out anything which could be described
Jeff
An interesting, well-researched look at the 1998 Vatican homicide/suicide. You feel like you know the answer to your questions in the first third of the book, but the author manages to pique your interest in reading further. As usual, the Vatican cannot be trusted to police or even protect itself.
Jim
I read this book a number of years ago. It, among other works, led to my reconsidering my connection to Catholicism. Any human institution is subject to human failings. This is the story of one such failure.
James
What really happened on the night three people were shot dead at the Swiss Guards' barracks in the Vatican City? This is what journalist John Follain set out to discover. Finding the answer proved harder than he might have expected.

On the evening of May 4 1998, gunshots rang out in the apartment of Alois Estermann, the newly-appointed commander of the Swiss Guards. Inside, Estermann, his Venezuelan wife and a young guardsman named Cedric Tornay were found dead. Within hours, a statement from th
Guadalupe Chulin
Very interesting book.
Jaime Moehlman
Jaime Moehlman marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Angela Ortiz
Angela Ortiz marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Sumaira
Sumaira marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Sharron
Sharron marked it as to-read
Anyi
Anyi marked it as to-read
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Amit Kant
Amit Kant marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Kristen Carey
Kristen Carey marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Mohamoud
Mohamoud marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Pavani
Pavani marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Margaret Roberts
Margaret Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
  • A Thief in the Night: Life and Death in the Vatican
  • Render Unto Rome: The Secret Life of Money in the Catholic Church
  • Sua Santità
  • The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
  • Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans
  • Precarious Japan
  • Perished Nations
  • Warrior
  • Dante
  • Early Medieval Europe, 300-1000, Second Edition (History of Europe (St. Martins))
  • Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein
  • To Live or to Perish Forever: Two Tumultuous Years in Pakistan
  • Hydrofracked? One Man's Mystery Leads to a Backlash Against Natural Gas Drilling
  • The Western Heritage Since 1300
  • Waiting for the Taliban: A Journey Through North Afghanistan
  • Quest for Kim: In Search of Kipling's Great Game
  • Unbridled: A Memoir
  • The Battle of $9.99: How Apple, Amazon, and the Big Six Publishers Changed the E-Book Business Overnight
A Death in Italy: The Definitive Account of the Amanda Knox Case The Last Godfathers: Inside the Mafia's Most Infamous Family Jackal: Finally, the Complete Story of the Legendary Terrorist, Carlos the Jackal Zoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom Mussolini's Island