Start by marking “Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex & Death” as Want to Read:
Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex & Death

Scared Stiff: Tales of Sex & Death

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Ramsey Campbell has won four World Fantasy Awards, ten British Fantasy Awards, and the Horror Writers' Association's Lifetime Achievement Award. Publishers Weekly calls Campbell "a horror writer's horror writer," adding, "His control of mood and atmosphere is unsurpassed." The Cleveland Plain Dealer says his horror fiction is "of consistently high quality," and The Washing
Published April 1st 1987 by Scream/Press (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Scared Stiff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scared Stiff

Chris
Get freaked out and wake up your pants at the same time; or just freak out your pants.
Tarl
Sex and horror are two very intimate and individual things. Campbell has brought forth a number of stories in this anthology that manage to somehow both arouse and terrify. Looking back at it, even though I finished it just last night, I am having a hard time with where I sit with this book. It's not a matter if it was good or not, or if it succeeded in what it was supposed to do, for on both those things it succeeded extremely well.

'Scared Stiff' contains a wide enough variety of stories acros
David Larsson
As with all collections of short stories, there are some stories that are better than others. Unfortunately, in the case with "Scared Stiff", the majority of the stories are kinda dull and uninspiring, which drags the book down as a whole. Sure, there are some moments in this collection that is worth reading, the stories "Dolls", "The Other Woman" and "Merry May" are all fine horror stories with an apparent sexual tone.
And Campbell sure knows his sexual stuff. He's good at writing the sex scenes
This book was absolutely terrible and I couldn't finish it. Ramsey Campbell's Scared Stiff is a compilation of short stories he wrote that combine elements of horror and sex.

The book is prefaced by an introduction by Clive Barker, which will give the impression that great reading is ahead. The writer's grammar style is archaic and doesn't flow, making it hard to follow.

The first story entitled "Dolls" is about a coven of witches that engage in ritualistic orgies, and are inadvertently involved
Aaron Meyer
Not the best book of his out there. Most of these stories have been published elsewhere and have been brought together here for the sexual / horror theme. The introduction by Clive Barker left much to be desired it simply did nothing for me at all. The only stories in the book which i thought were worthwhile were "Dolls" and "Merry May". The last story being especially twisted in its ending. The afterword by Ramsey Campbell gives you a look into why he wrote what he did and the influences and at ...more
Paige Smith
I read this book because one of my friends at work recommended it, stating that he thought it was like American Horror Story.
I can kind of see that, but mostly I felt the stories were practically the same, with just a little bit changed here or there. I think the first one, Dolls, was my favorite.
Prattle On, Boyo
If you bought this book expecting a lot of sexual action, then you'll be sorely disappointed. Eroticism is *not* hot sex. Try your local adult bookstore, instead. That said, *real* Ramsey Campbell and/or *real* fans of the horror genre will appreciate this collection. To be fair, the first three titles aren't all that. They are, in fact, rather dull. However, the shudders and shivers pick up in "The Seductress" and increase from there. Hot sex seekers should look elsewhere for their carnal fixat ...more
Marvin
For a collection of erotic horror stories, these tales are surprisingly dull and non-erotic. These are not his best works and despite the catchy title, I would recommended the reader to go elsewhere for their dose of Campbell.
William
This book was terrible. The stories didn't flow, didn't make sense, weren't scary nor erotic. I read about 80% and couldn't take it anymore.
Jake
Sex got in the way of dread & horror.
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sookie Harris
Sookie Harris marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Eija
Eija marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
ceeeeg
ceeeeg marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Rob Vidaic
Rob Vidaic is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Patrick Sanders
Patrick Sanders marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Thomas Morris
Thomas Morris marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • Darkness: Two Decades of Modern Horror
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Door to Saturn (Collected Fantasies, #2)
  • The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World
  • The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack: 40 Modern and Classic Lovecraftian Stories
  • Bitten: Dark Erotic Stories
  • Love In Vein II
  • The Dark Country
  • Four Dark Nights
  • Dawn (Tales of Noreela, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • By Bizarre Hands
  • The Unsettled Dust
  • Tapping the Vein
  • The Shadow at the Bottom of the World
  • Remember Why You Fear Me: The Best Dark Fiction of Robert Shearman
  • Conversations with the Devil
  • Tales of Pain and Wonder
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Cold Print Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother