Start by marking “Night Sky” as Want to Read:
Night Sky

Night Sky

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In the brutal chaos of WW2, three people find their lives inextricably interwoven in a web of courage, betrayal and love. They are a young Englishwoman, a vicious Parisian pimp-turned-Nazi collaborator and a German scientist.
Published February 1st 1984 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Night Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Sky

Sep 13, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite book of all time. The mix of romance, suspence, and mystery creates a story that I will forever go back to again and again.
Mike Outten
Mar 31, 2010 Mike Outten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant writer. Excellent story-teller. Lots of research led to a believable plot. This book was an absolute great stroy. I wish all novels were this well put together. Character development was fantastic. Prose was outstanding. a suspense-thriller to the end.
Kimberly Lynne
I listened to the audio book:

I was pleasantly surprised. This is a wonderful book. It's a little hard to get in to at first because it starts off introducing the character you end up hating and it's just a little vulgar to start. Once the book introduces it's other characters (including Julie) you will be hooked. The plot is set during WWII and follows the stories of several characters eventually bringing them all together in the end.

The writing is wonderful and the narrator was great to listen
Danika
Aug 01, 2014 Danika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Night Sky follows the lives of three people throughout WWII. Vasson, a despicable, clever, hateful character who wants to profit from the war and is working with the Germans. He takes up small jobs to earn easy money because of his desire to be affluent. Julie, a determined and strong-willed woman who fled England wanting to avoid ridicule due to becoming pregnant with an illegitimate boy, and went to live with her distant family in France. She becomes tied into a Resistance group working in the ...more
Lhizz Browne
Oct 22, 2009 Lhizz Browne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most excellent WW2 thriller - several different lives who intersect at this very interesting time in recent European history. I'm currently intrigued by stories of the French Resistance, especially where ordinary people have become involved and been extraordinarily brave and resourceful, and I loved reading the details of the escape systems for downed airmen. I also found the treatment of the Germans quite believeable, they weren't all evil and crazy as they're usually painted. I found this book ...more
Derek Mcknight
Not a bad book at all, though lacking in any real twists it still kept me entertained until the final ending. The baddy got his comeuppance and the goodies lived happily ever after, with the addition that some of it was true-ish. Not a re-reader for sure but enough to tempt me to read another one of CFs books in the near future. A fair 4 stars.
Sandra
Jul 14, 2015 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book almost as much this time as the first time I read it years ago. I recommend it to those who enjoy books with a romantic twist set during the German occupation in Europe.
Joan
Mar 16, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca
A 1980's perspective on WWII delivered via historical fiction. Interesting main female character. Interesting plot that could translate nicely to film.
Mitch McCrimmon
Mar 21, 2016 Mitch McCrimmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is about a young English woman who goes to France to live with relatives just before the start of WW2 and gets caught up in the resistance movement. Very suspenseful with an incredibly dramatic ending. Started a bit slowly but once the war is under way, the suspense builds. There are actually 3 parallel stories here. The main tale is the about the woman mentioned already. One of the other stories involves a Jewish scientist working on radar technology while the third story is about a French ...more
Mike Pouy
Mar 27, 2008 Mike Pouy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller by Clare Francis, this one during WW II. High suspense story with a strong female lead character.
Sue
I really enjoyed this book, I was able to get into the characters.
Liz
Mar 01, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She's one of the best thriller writers bar none..
Fi
Aug 19, 2014 Fi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a book comes along that makes you wish you hadn't been so generous with your five stars in the past, & this is one of them.
A really gripping war story, with shades of Neville Chute, Sebastian Faulks & others; a REALLY good read
Iain Hudson
Feb 13, 2014 Iain Hudson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been wanting to read this for some time...

A good WWII thriller. Francis does well to interweave the stories of three people across 10 tempestuous years in European history. Her characters are very real and I found myself drawn into their lives....
Delyse Richards
Feb 02, 2015 Delyse Richards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audio version of this book beautifully read by Robert Powell. A great story and I enjoyed it just as much as I did years ago when I first read the book.
Elly Haaft
Aug 15, 2015 Elly Haaft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Linton Lewis
Sep 15, 2014 Linton Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WELL WRITTEN ww2 novel boats and Brittainy over-exciting at points. Woman tracks traitor after war.
Joni Holland
Jan 18, 2016 Joni Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ingrid
Nov 27, 2014 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very detailed, well researched.
Rachel
Jan 12, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good WWII novel. Conveys the uneasy times Europeans lived in. Both my husband and I enjoyed it. Very good for a first novel.
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
c1983. "'A thoroughly professional wartime adventure' Sunday Times." Totally agree despite this being a debut novel. The characters are well drawn and the pace is excellent. FWFTB war, interwoven, Resistance, horror, faith.

Elesa Labanz
Mar 27, 2016 Elesa Labanz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.
Henry
Oct 24, 2012 Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was tempted to give this book five stars, because I am a sucker for well researched historical fiction, but somehow I never "lost myself" in the process of reading. Maybe I'll give a proper review later.
Wright Gres
Nov 30, 2011 Wright Gres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one's been around a long time -- published in 1983. A really good read! This was Clare Francis' first novel. I read this a long time, and enjoyed it even more this time.
Marilyn
Sep 17, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that will stay with you and a strong female character, Julie. So well written. One of the better fictional stories written in the times of Word War 11.
Thom Swennes
This book was both interesting and informitive. It gives the reader a glimpse of occupied France and the undergrond network that saved so many allied pilots.
Kate Speed
Oct 23, 2013 Kate Speed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent WWII thriller. Well written, well researched and taught me a lot about the French resistance. One of the best books I've read in a long time.
Sandi
World War Two thriller which I am pretty sure was recommended by Lee Child at Bouchercon last year. A BFB but very entertaining.
Ewald
Jun 20, 2010 Ewald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good war story, so gripping I went to sleep at 1 am- just could not put it down!
  • Arnie the Darling Starling
  • The Serpent's Coil
  • Seal Woman
  • The Camerons
  • The Wild Children
  • Tightrope (Marian Sutro, #2)
  • An Old Captivity
  • Crescent City
  • The Raft
  • Nuremberg: The Reckoning
  • Truth and Duty: The Press, the President, and the Privilege of Power
  • Last Dance (Saturday Night, #2)
  • Palm Beach
  • Company of adventurers
  • Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach into Arab Lands
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone