The Rock

The Rock

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Five people--including an Australian Air Force computer operator, a Mexican engineering professor, a New York housewife, a Colombian Special Forces officer, and an English mathematician--are invited to help save the world.
Published December 1st 1995 by Dell (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rock

Mark Schafer
A little slow at the beginning, but then it really got to going. It's a Bob Mayer book so of course it is good :)
A very fast read that really kept me wondering on how it was going to end.
Willy
Fun, a little dated, but interesting none the less. I kept thinking "Just use the internet..." then I remember the book is based in 1991. Weird.
Les
This is a standalone novel by Robert Doherty (pen-name for Bob Mayer), an author that you have seen me write about a few times before. This is the first standalone of his that I've read, all of the others have been series or linked novels like his excellent Area 51 series and the Jim Vaughn books (Section 8 & The Citadel).

The Rock employs this author's standard modus operandi of tight military action, historical intrigue and speculative science fiction. I don't know of another author who pul...more
Claudia
Outstanding, Original and Spellbinding

I read the Area 51 series years ago and thought I'd give 'The Rock' a try. The scenario is very cleverly developed. The beginning of the book makes total sense in the end. The storyline kept my interest with increasing intensity, as it moved along. The ending was a huge crescendo, leaving the reader highly satisfied. This is a good book. I won't forget this one!
DulleNL
3 sterren voor dit boek. Waar ik bij mijn vorige boek (The Swarm) nog zat te klagen dat het soms wat sneller kon, ga ik nu klagen dat het deze keer juist allemaal te vluchtig was waardoor het verhaal impact, mysterie en echte spanning mist. Pas op het laatste waar een paar pagina's werden uitgetrokken om het een ander uit te leggen ging de kwaliteit omhoog.
Toch 3 sterren omdat het mijn aandacht wist te houden door het concept. :p

Oh, en 1 ster aftrek door de vreselijke fouten die in het ebook zat...more
Alison
Not entirely sure why I picked this up - it's certainly no real literature, but that said, it entertained. Very silly plot with some very stock characters who still managed to become quite real and sympathetic, and some interesting political points, particularly about the Cold War. And the geography stuff was neat. Three stars in a noncommittal sort of way.
cathepsut
I did not think much of this book when I started it. Very one-dimensional characters. Very B-list. Low brainpower entertainment with little substance. The right thing if you want to read something unchallenging, that sort of just flows by.

Tom Clancy meets Carl Sagan, on only 400 pages. Good guys versus mysterious alien bad guys and the end of the world as we know it.

Saying all that, I really liked the ending, it had a nice twist to it.
Benton Mcpeak
Very enjoyable. Not Mayer's usual story exactly. Interesting twist at the end.
Robert Grohoľ
Občas celkem zajímavý akční thriller s naprosto nesmyslnými sci-fi prvky. Korunu všemu nasadí cestování časem, které už dokázalo zabít i lépe rozjeté příběhy.
Annie
Really good read! Love his books. Editing sucks - though not as bad as the Atlantis series.
Yurifreak
It was a good book till the last 50 or so pages where it took a sharp turn to "huh" land
Grace J
Didn't finish the book.
Chrisc
Chrisc marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Doug
Doug added it
Aug 14, 2014
Glynn James
Glynn James marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Winterking
Winterking marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Area 51 (Area 51, #1) The Reply (Area 51, #2) The Mission (Area 51, #3) The Sphinx (Area 51, #4) The Grail (Area 51, #5)