Start by marking “The Rock” as Want to Read:
The Rock

The Rock

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Five people--including an Australian Air Force computer operator, a Mexican engineering professor, a New York housewife, a Colombian Special Forces officer, and an English mathematician--are invited to help save the world.
Published December 1st 1995 by Dell (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rock

Martin Hill
When you talk about military science fiction, two of the names you frequently hear mentioned are Robert Doherty and Bob Mayer. That's quite a coincidence, because both are New York Times best- selling authors of the genre. Both are also West Point graduates and former U.S. Army Green Berets. And both...well, they're both the same man.

I mention this because when I first became aware of Doherty/Mayer I was confused. Which was which? Doherty's Amazon page says he lives in Seattle, Mayer's says Tenn
Not entirely sure why I picked this up - it's certainly no real literature, but that said, it entertained. Very silly plot with some very stock characters who still managed to become quite real and sympathetic, and some interesting political points, particularly about the Cold War. And the geography stuff was neat. Three stars in a noncommittal sort of way.
Fun, a little dated, but interesting none the less. I kept thinking "Just use the internet..." then I remember the book is based in 1991. Weird.
Great use of Aires Rock / Uluru, but the writer is a bit too obsessed with military hardware and operating procedures, and sadly the mid-1990's setting hasn't dated too well. Can a group of scientists and the US military solve the anomaly in the rock, make peace with the Russians, and recover a 2nd lost nuclear bomb before the end of the world?

It was fairly well written and held my attention with some vaguely interesting characters, but ...

spoilers ...

How the heck did they develop super bullet p
This is a standalone novel by Robert Doherty (pen-name for Bob Mayer), an author that you have seen me write about a few times before. This is the first standalone of his that I've read, all of the others have been series or linked novels like his excellent Area 51 series and the Jim Vaughn books (Section 8 & The Citadel).

The Rock employs this author's standard modus operandi of tight military action, historical intrigue and speculative science fiction. I don't know of another author who pul
Outstanding, Original and Spellbinding

I read the Area 51 series years ago and thought I'd give 'The Rock' a try. The scenario is very cleverly developed. The beginning of the book makes total sense in the end. The storyline kept my interest with increasing intensity, as it moved along. The ending was a huge crescendo, leaving the reader highly satisfied. This is a good book. I won't forget this one!
3 sterren voor dit boek. Waar ik bij mijn vorige boek (The Swarm) nog zat te klagen dat het soms wat sneller kon, ga ik nu klagen dat het deze keer juist allemaal te vluchtig was waardoor het verhaal impact, mysterie en echte spanning mist. Pas op het laatste waar een paar pagina's werden uitgetrokken om het een ander uit te leggen ging de kwaliteit omhoog.
Toch 3 sterren omdat het mijn aandacht wist te houden door het concept. :p

Oh, en 1 ster aftrek door de vreselijke fouten die in het ebook zat
The Rock will stay with me for the characters and some of the imagery. Truth be told, I'm still not sure how much I actually like this book - I definitely kept coming back to it and wanted to finish it. But I wasn't grabbed much by the characters. I guess the mystery of it all just worked well to lure me and keep me.
Enjoyed the very realistic portrayal of a military man caught up in a tense science fiction scenario. Bob Mayer's real-life experience as a soldier and leader in the Special Forces really comes through! This was a pretty manly-man book--which I never mind, don't get me wrong--but it also had some smart female scientist characters, which I always love. A fun, exciting read!
Randy Evans
Bob Mayer writing as Robert Doherty has written in "The Rock" a action thriller science fiction mystery. Two nuclear bombs are stolen and one is set off in a gold mine miles underground. That and what is believed to be a alien radio transmission sets off events that just may save the world and everyone on it.
The story is based in 1995, but it could be at time now or in the near future. An alien race (bad) is on an intercept destruction course with Earth and "the Coalition" (good) has contacted us with their options of survival or destruction. The Rock is Ayres Rock in Australia and it is a Coalition defensive outpost which has been uncovered by us and the Russians along with a similar outpost in Russia. An outpost has recently been destroyed by a nuclear explosion and another is in the works. If thi ...more
Entertaining 'we have to save the world from nuclear weapons' story. Not super complicated.
Cathy (cathepsut)
I did not think much of this book when I started it. Very one-dimensional characters. Very B-list. Low brainpower entertainment with little substance. The right thing if you want to read something unchallenging, that sort of just flows by.

Tom Clancy meets Carl Sagan, on only 400 pages. Good guys versus mysterious alien bad guys and the end of the world as we know it.

Saying all that, I really liked the ending, it had a nice twist to it.
Benton Mcpeak
Very enjoyable. Not Mayer's usual story exactly. Interesting twist at the end.
Robert Grohoľ
Občas celkem zajímavý akční thriller s naprosto nesmyslnými sci-fi prvky. Korunu všemu nasadí cestování časem, které už dokázalo zabít i lépe rozjeté příběhy.
Really good read! Love his books. Editing sucks - though not as bad as the Atlantis series.
It was a good book till the last 50 or so pages where it took a sharp turn to "huh" land
Grace J
Didn't finish the book.
Joris Brakkee
Joris Brakkee marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
David Hoopes
David Hoopes marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Todd Lilienfield
Todd Lilienfield marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • The Gate (Black Ops, #2)
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • The Trilisk Supersedure (Parker Interstellar Travels, #3)
  • Orb
  • If at First . . . (Short Story)
  • Bitter Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, #2)
  • Nightside City
  • Maximum Light
  • Summer of Love: A Time Travel
  • The Wedding Night
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • The Book of True Desires
  • Crimson Worlds Collection I
Area 51 (Area 51, #1) The Reply (Area 51, #2) The Mission (Area 51, #3) The Sphinx (Area 51, #4) The Grail (Area 51, #5)