Start by marking “The Rock” as Want to Read:
The Rock

The Rock

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  379 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Five people--including an Australian Air Force computer operator, a Mexican engineering professor, a New York housewife, a Colombian Special Forces officer, and an English mathematician--are invited to help save the world.

In Australia, a U.S. Air Force computer operator receives a terrifying radio transmission out of Ayers Rock that knocks out the world's communications. I
Published December 1st 1995 by Dell (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rock

Martin Hill
Mar 12, 2015 Martin Hill rated it really liked it
When you talk about military science fiction, two of the names you frequently hear mentioned are Robert Doherty and Bob Mayer. That's quite a coincidence, because both are New York Times best- selling authors of the genre. Both are also West Point graduates and former U.S. Army Green Berets. And both...well, they're both the same man.

I mention this because when I first became aware of Doherty/Mayer I was confused. Which was which? Doherty's Amazon page says he lives in Seattle, Mayer's says Tenn
Stanley McShane
When I read the Bob Mayer books with his military background expertise, I didn't realize he wrote sci-fi/thriller under a pen name. It's okay by me--I enjoy his writing style and the books are usually written with enough authority that I take every word for gospel--whether or not it is. That's okay--this one is sci-fi--it's fiction--and fun, action packed techno-geek fiction at that.

In The Rock, five experts of various scientific/military fields are summarily summoned to converge on an enormous
Alison
Mar 06, 2014 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
Not entirely sure why I picked this up - it's certainly no real literature, but that said, it entertained. Very silly plot with some very stock characters who still managed to become quite real and sympathetic, and some interesting political points, particularly about the Cold War. And the geography stuff was neat. Three stars in a noncommittal sort of way.
Willy
Oct 17, 2012 Willy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, a little dated, but interesting none the less. I kept thinking "Just use the internet..." then I remember the book is based in 1991. Weird.
Tim
May 22, 2015 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
Great use of Aires Rock / Uluru, but the writer is a bit too obsessed with military hardware and operating procedures, and sadly the mid-1990's setting hasn't dated too well. Can a group of scientists and the US military solve the anomaly in the rock, make peace with the Russians, and recover a 2nd lost nuclear bomb before the end of the world?

It was fairly well written and held my attention with some vaguely interesting characters, but ...

spoilers ...

How the heck did they develop super bullet p
Les
Apr 15, 2013 Les rated it really liked it
This is a standalone novel by Robert Doherty (pen-name for Bob Mayer), an author that you have seen me write about a few times before. This is the first standalone of his that I've read, all of the others have been series or linked novels like his excellent Area 51 series and the Jim Vaughn books (Section 8 & The Citadel).

The Rock employs this author's standard modus operandi of tight military action, historical intrigue and speculative science fiction. I don't know of another author who pul
Stephen Reid
Feb 04, 2016 Stephen Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable read which reminded me of Michael Crichton. I came into it knowing about a key element of the story (which I won't spoil) but the reveal is still well handled. Quite deftly mixes aspects of military/techno thrillers with science fiction and historical fact. My first Bob Mayer book, probably won't be my last.

Recommended for those who enjoy military fiction with a weird / sci-fi edge, and for SF fans who don't mind some military jargon and characters.
Lisa C.
Dec 23, 2015 Lisa C. rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-read
Ran into Bob Mayer writing in tandem with Jennifer Crusie in a book that I loved (the title escapes me, but they only wrote one together, I believe), so I figured I'd pick this up when it came up on BookBub. I liked the story a lot--built a plausible setup, using fairly stock characters, but nonetheless, ones I like and that were drawn well, and it kept my attention.
Evelyn M Parnell
Strange and Confusing

I found the build-up to be lengthy and confusing with jumping around from place to place. I had the feeling that the problem would not be resolved and would have to get a second book to find the ending. That's why I was surprised when things came together in such a rush to the end. So, it was an ok story, but I'll not read more from this author.
Claudia
Jan 31, 2014 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding, Original and Spellbinding

I read the Area 51 series years ago and thought I'd give 'The Rock' a try. The scenario is very cleverly developed. The beginning of the book makes total sense in the end. The storyline kept my interest with increasing intensity, as it moved along. The ending was a huge crescendo, leaving the reader highly satisfied. This is a good book. I won't forget this one!
DulleNL
Nov 04, 2012 DulleNL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, ebook
3 sterren voor dit boek. Waar ik bij mijn vorige boek (The Swarm) nog zat te klagen dat het soms wat sneller kon, ga ik nu klagen dat het deze keer juist allemaal te vluchtig was waardoor het verhaal impact, mysterie en echte spanning mist. Pas op het laatste waar een paar pagina's werden uitgetrokken om het een ander uit te leggen ging de kwaliteit omhoog.
Toch 3 sterren omdat het mijn aandacht wist te houden door het concept. :p

Oh, en 1 ster aftrek door de vreselijke fouten die in het ebook zat
Katie
Jun 25, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
The Rock will stay with me for the characters and some of the imagery. Truth be told, I'm still not sure how much I actually like this book - I definitely kept coming back to it and wanted to finish it. But I wasn't grabbed much by the characters. I guess the mystery of it all just worked well to lure me and keep me.
Robin
Apr 09, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the very realistic portrayal of a military man caught up in a tense science fiction scenario. Bob Mayer's real-life experience as a soldier and leader in the Special Forces really comes through! This was a pretty manly-man book--which I never mind, don't get me wrong--but it also had some smart female scientist characters, which I always love. A fun, exciting read!
Randy Evans
Aug 05, 2015 Randy Evans rated it really liked it
Bob Mayer writing as Robert Doherty has written in "The Rock" a action thriller science fiction mystery. Two nuclear bombs are stolen and one is set off in a gold mine miles underground. That and what is believed to be a alien radio transmission sets off events that just may save the world and everyone on it.
Karen Stephens
Dec 04, 2015 Karen Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have found the book to read.

If you want meaningful relationships.? If you want action? If you like surprises? Then, you have found the book to read!
Robert
The story is based in 1995, but it could be at time now or in the near future. An alien race (bad) is on an intercept destruction course with Earth and "the Coalition" (good) has contacted us with their options of survival or destruction. The Rock is Ayres Rock in Australia and it is a Coalition defensive outpost which has been uncovered by us and the Russians along with a similar outpost in Russia. An outpost has recently been destroyed by a nuclear explosion and another is in the works. If thi ...more
David
Dec 01, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
This was another freebie via Bookbub. I can't really say that all the sci held up but the fi kept going throughout and I really did want to keep going to see how things panned out.
Amy
May 20, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Entertaining 'we have to save the world from nuclear weapons' story. Not super complicated.
Judith Golderer
Nov 10, 2015 Judith Golderer rated it liked it
An entertaining sci-fi book with a good twist at the end.
Cathy (cathepsut)
I did not think much of this book when I started it. Very one-dimensional characters. Very B-list. Low brainpower entertainment with little substance. The right thing if you want to read something unchallenging, that sort of just flows by.

Tom Clancy meets Carl Sagan, on only 400 pages. Good guys versus mysterious alien bad guys and the end of the world as we know it.

Saying all that, I really liked the ending, it had a nice twist to it.
Benton Mcpeak
May 06, 2014 Benton Mcpeak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bob-mayer
Very enjoyable. Not Mayer's usual story exactly. Interesting twist at the end.
Robert Grohoľ
Jul 25, 2011 Robert Grohoľ rated it it was ok
Občas celkem zajímavý akční thriller s naprosto nesmyslnými sci-fi prvky. Korunu všemu nasadí cestování časem, které už dokázalo zabít i lépe rozjeté příběhy.
Annie
Oct 18, 2012 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good read! Love his books. Editing sucks - though not as bad as the Atlantis series.
Yurifreak
Aug 25, 2010 Yurifreak rated it liked it
It was a good book till the last 50 or so pages where it took a sharp turn to "huh" land
Grace J
Sep 16, 2011 Grace J rated it liked it
Didn't finish the book.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it it was ok
Brian Waugh
Brian Waugh marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Paul Yansak
Paul Yansak rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Gavin Cox
Gavin Cox marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Petar
Petar added it
Apr 25, 2016
  • The Gate (Black Ops, #2)
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • The Transformed
  • Ancient Revenge (Merryweather Lodge, #1)
  • The Trilisk Supersedure (Parker Interstellar Travels, #3)
  • Orb
  • If at First . . . (Short Story)
  • Sin and Sacrifice (Daughters of Eve, #1)
  • Bitter Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, #2)
  • The Book of True Desires
  • The Lifeship
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • Maximum Light