Start by marking “The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)” as Want to Read:

The Sphinx (Area 51 #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  959 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Performance by Colin Stinton
Two Cassettes, 2 hrs.

Are there aliens among us?

Have the highest echelons of power already been breached?

The U.S. government knows—but they're not telling....

For thousands of years it has harbored mankind's greatest secret. Now someone or something has found the key to...The Sphinx.

No place is safe from alien infiltration. Not even top secret Are
Published February 8th 2000 by Dell (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Sphinx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sphinx

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleShanghai Girls by Lisa SeeHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Thoroughly Enjoyable
18th out of 98 books — 4 voters
Area 51 by Annie   JacobsenThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanRoswell by Rupert MatthewsAdopted Son by Dominic PelosoANTIGRAVITY PROPULSION by James Morcan
Area 51 Books
9th out of 24 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
It's been several months since I've read the third book in the Area 51 series, but it was quite easy to pick up the baton in this fourth book. Mayer has an easy-reading writing style that carries you along quickly through the story. There is plenty of action, characterization, and description, but not too much when it's not needed.

The Sphinx opens in the mid-1800s in Egypt, where an explorer, Burton, is seeking knowledge, and he wants to find out about the Sphinx. In current times, another explo
Pruitt
This was the fourth book in the Area 51 series by Robert Doherty (which is a pen name of writer Bob Mayer). I've read the previous three books, and like them, I enjoyed reading this. It's a pretty easy to read, action-oriented story that moves along. As with any long series, you'll have books that are really setting up greater action later in the Series, and that's what I felt this one was when I finished. It has it's own quest, but that quest is obviously just a small piece of the overall matte ...more
Benjamin Thomas
After my somewhat lukewarm reaction to the first three books of this series, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The balance of character, plot, and setting was much improved and the whole novel fairly hummed along. I especially enjoyed the sections involving the character of Mualama as he follows in the footsteps of one of the greatest real world explorer/adventurers of all time, Sir Richard Francis Burton. Perhaps it is my genuine interest in that great personage that assisted my overall p ...more
Shawn
Another good book of the series. This is the middle book of the series and reads like a middle book. This doesn't have an exact ending, this is a set up novel for the books that come next. A lot of characters in this novel, much more than the previous four. Lots of changing scenes as we go from character to character. It is a good book, but moves around a lot. I had to refer back several times to try and make sure I knew who the author was talking about.
Stacy
I enjoyed this book quite a bit, really liked the new character of Mualama. Very cool to spend some time in Egypt and the pyramids and sphinx. I'm not quite sure why new characters always have to be introduced, I'd be more than happy to just stay with Lisa and Mike. But, at least in this case, Mualama was a good addition and his quest was intriguing (not always the case in previous books). I will say the ending definitely made me want to continue on to the next book in the series, The Grail.
Shaft
Is it cheesy? Like a deep pan pizza.

Still it is engaging and the lore is right there and interesting I keep threatening to crack a textbook and find out a little more about ancient civilisations because I keep hearing about them here. Like Axom for instance. If you like Sci-Fi it is worth a try.
Anna
The series is awesome. There's everything my soul ever wanted :) Ancient artifacts, UFOs, mysterious events, strange objects, danger, the world on the brink of annihilation - and lots of action! And inside all that, a small group of people who have no one to trust but themselves, people with high morals (of course :)) and incredible courage who (as it is in every popular thriller/sci-fi) are doing their best to save the day. Thumbs up! I love the change of locations - from the pyramids of Egypt ...more
Robert Usher
Great book

This book is a great lead into the next one. As the story continues. It makes you eager to get into the. Continuation of this fascinating and we'll written story.
Nai Wang
It got better again. Love how he weaves mythology with aliens!
Mark Henrikson
Second verse; same as the first.

Book four was the last I read in this series. It's not like the author jumped the shark or anything. Its just that the characters were no longer interesting, not developed at all during series. The plot line of aliens on earth had already been done pretty well in prior books in the series and the author was just stretching the material at this point.

Nothing really bad about the book, just nothing really good either. I got off the train at this stop. Thanks for th
Katie
I must say this was the best of book of the series so far. There were still some edit/spelling mistakes for some reason more abundant that I am used to seeing in books.

There were some interesting theories in this book. I thought they are somewhat plausible even. I do recommend reading the first 3 books first to have the most understanding of what is going on with all the characters.

I've already started on the next book. I just had to know what would happen next.
Gary Pellis
These books are getting better and better and love the way there is a cliff hanger at the end
Carlos Trevino
The third book was a decent read, but this one made reading it worth it. I very much liked how they kept the story fresh with great plot twists and the addition of Mualama, his discoveries, the Russian aspect of the story, and fact that we as readers still haven't had the whole alien background story revealed even now has me pretty antsy to open up the fifth book
Stony Graves
A fun read. I love the 'Ancient Astronaut' theories woven into the reality of this novel. The author does write military style fiction also, and this novel reads that way. Too many tech terms and dry, monotonous descriptions of weaponry. THE SPHINX ends with a cliffhanger of George R.R. Martin proportions, which totally rocks in my opinion.
Nicolene
This book is not as good as the three prior, but I still enjoy the on going story. It appeared to either be written in a different way or just simply isn't as gripping. I found myself wandering off quite frequently and considering how much I liked the 3 before, this surprised me.
Casey Hampton
If you're a big fan of this series, by all means proceed and be happy. If however you are as of yet undecided, flee like the wind. My advice, go pick up some old Tom Clancy or Clive Cussler to scratch that itch.
James Wood
The story in the series could have progressed a little more, but overall a good read. I do hate the fact that it ended in a cliff hanger, I guess I will have to more the next book up in my queue.
John Wheeles
While I'm a fan of the genre, I can't say the same for this book. This one had a hard time keeping me enthralled.
Paula
It was adventure-filled, but I didn't stay awake for most of it. It was worth the read, but i wouldn't recommend it.
Hukes
Sep 28, 2013 Hukes rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ufo
I don't know if it was because I didn't read the other books in the seriies, but I found this one boring.
Robert Bailey
Nice story, and well written. Really made me want to read the next one until I had every book on the shelf :)
Stuart Bell
I really liked the story, and I have continued it to the new book, The Grail.
Chris Toney
Good read. Sometimes lost my place but interesting nonetheless.
Lisa Kvam
I like this better than the previous book in the series.
Thomas Roth
The intrigue continues from space. Who will win the war?
Spot Allen
Quite good. As expected. :)
Dad
Nov 01, 2011 Dad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: area-51
Likrd this book
Bobby
Bobby added it
Aug 31, 2015
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
  • Project Maigo (Kaiju, #2)
  • Stargate: Retribution (Stargate, #3)
  • Independence Day: Silent Zone
  • Stargate
  • Ancients (Event Group Thriller #3)
  • Storms of Victory  (Janissaries, #3)
  • Heart of the Mummy (Scream Street, #3)
  • Taken
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Cat on a Hyacinth Hunt (Midnight Louie, #9)
  • Secret Vengeance (Young Repairman Jack, #3)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • The Third Translation
  • Resurrection

Area 51 (9 books)
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
  • The Reply (Area 51, #2)
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
  • Legend (Area 51, #9)
Area 51 (Area 51, #1) The Reply (Area 51, #2) The Mission (Area 51, #3) The Grail (Area 51, #5) Excalibur (Area 51, #6)

“It is an old Russian saying that when something another person is doing bothers you, look to yourself.” 1 likes