Start by marking “The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene” as Want to Read:
The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

In the parched soil of Provence, a fifth gospel has been discovered: Mary Magdalene's account of Jesus' teachings and her vital relationship with him. It is a book of revelation, for it unveils a new Christianity, one that embraces the female equally with the male and acknowledges-and celebrates-the spirituality of women. It is also a passionate story of love and loss, of ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Pegasus Books (first published May 9th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

Laurie Saunders
Nov 30, 2016 Laurie Saunders rated it liked it
A femisnist take on the life of Jesus. Very interesting. The reason why I only give it 3 stars is that I expected the character of Mary Magdalene to really enthrall me. I suspect I would have felt much more strongly about her had I read it at the time of publication. We've had so many fascinating feminist characters before and since then than she didn't feel quite intense enough.
Still, a good read that puts the Christian mythology into perspective by acknowledging its Pagan origins and its inte
Bryce
Jul 10, 2008 Bryce rated it it was amazing
This is a sexy read for any recovering Christian.
Denise
May 18, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok
This work of fiction purports in the story to be the long lost fifth gospel. In the story, Mary of Bethany and Mary of
Magdala are conflated and made to be the same person. From the beginning, I didn't like that. I also didn't like that
Mary and Jesus had a physical relationship that was quite free and open and perfectly acceptable to all the disciples
and even to Jesus' mother. I also didn't like the style of writing. I wish some of it were true though. 2.7
Emily
Apr 29, 2008 Emily rated it did not like it
I think my one star says it all. It was painful to finish because it was just that bad. Still, I don't want to dissuade Melisa from reading it. It is full of "sexual undertones" such as: "I removed [Jesus's] clothes, and he mine, and we pulled the long grass over our heads as a hiding place and tickled and caressed and rode each other to our hearts' content."

PS- Happy Mother's Day!
Deirdre
Jan 06, 2008 Deirdre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The imagined story of Mary Magdalene using several of the stories about her that have been put forward over the years. Interesting and well written I wish I had read it years ago as it would probably have pleased me more, not having read much less well written versions.

Worth a read for a slightly feminist view of Jesus' life and the way that things could be warped.
Val
Oct 31, 2012 Val rated it really liked it
I found this a powerful book, emotional especially after Jesus has been cruixified and her grief and her longing to continue to preach the gospel but she had opposition from other deciples.worth reading Its a very short book but insightful would make you think about that time and if Jesus had a relationship with Mary and a family as has been suggested.
Hertzan Chimera
Jun 02, 2009 Hertzan Chimera rated it really liked it
well, it's a brave writer who totally flies in the face of accepted religious origin, doctrine and practise but Michele Roberts does all that, and more... seriously, if this book were about the Koran, there'd be a fatwa out on her right now.
Elizabeth☮
Apr 11, 2008 Elizabeth☮ rated it it was ok
Shelves: recent-reads
This book caught my interest because of the subject matter, but once it hit about 3/4 through, it really lost momentum. Perhaps something is lost in the translation. I finished it because I only had about fifty pages left, but it felt arduous for a book that's relatively short (198 pages).
Meaghan O'Malley
Sep 24, 2007 Meaghan O'Malley rated it really liked it
This was interesting. Filled with potential and hope. It was also a novel, and so the swirly dream escapes that I had to read through and dig for some sort of metaphor were kind of frustrating. But overall, beautifully written and uplifting.
Aug 27, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok but I found it a bit slushy and not overly gripping. I kept reading, waiting for some sort of message to come through but nothing happened.

I found it all a bit pointless really.
ayrdaomei
The first 50 pages of this book are just one historical fiction cliche after another. It might get better, but that's for someone else to find out.
Michelle
Dec 31, 2014 Michelle rated it did not like it
Not worth the time or money invested.
Ceanne
Jan 21, 2012 Ceanne rated it it was ok
Tried to slog through it, but just could not get into this story.
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Dawndawn
Dawndawn rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2008
Julianne Fermi
Julianne Fermi rated it it was ok
Oct 24, 2013
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Chloe Newnham
Chloe Newnham rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
S
S rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2013
Elizabeth Bell
Elizabeth Bell rated it really liked it
May 17, 2015
P
P rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2010
Jody Prim
Jody Prim rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Rebecca Berggren
Rebecca Berggren rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2007
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Cath Manning
Cath Manning rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Trisha
Trisha rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2007
Denni
Denni rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Jean Ramsay
Jean Ramsay rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mary Magdalene, Bride in Exile
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Passion of Mary Magdalen (Maeve Chronicles, #2)
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • The Lamplighter
  • The Water Clock (Philip Dryden, #1)
  • When She Was Bad
  • Mary Magdalene
  • The 27th Kingdom
  • The Primeval Forest (Schweitzer Library)
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • Judgment Day
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • God on the Rocks: Distilling Religion, Savoring Faith
  • Private Papers
  • The Straw Bale House
  • The Meaning of Mary Magdalene: Discovering the Woman at the Heart of Christianity
Michèle Brigitte Roberts is the author of fifteen novels, including Ignorance which was nominated for the Women's Prize for Fiction and Daughters of the House which won the W.H. Smith Literary Award and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Her memoir Paper Houses was BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week in June 2007. She has also published poetry and short stories, most recently collected in Mud: Stori ...more
More about Michèle Roberts...