Start by marking “The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene” as Want to Read:
The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In the parched soil of Provence, a fifth gospel has been discovered: Mary Magdalene's account of Jesus' teachings and her vital relationship with him. It is a book of revelation, for it unveils a new Christianity, one that embraces the female equally with the male and acknowledges-and celebrates-the spirituality of women. It is also a passionate story of love and loss, of ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Pegasus (first published May 9th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene

The Reluctant Jesus by Duncan WhiteheadLamb by Christopher MooreBen-Hur by Lew WallaceThe Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos KazantzakisThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Fiction with Jesus as a Character
57th out of 60 books — 74 voters
The Expected One by Kathleen McGowanThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowThe Woman with the Alabaster Jar by Margaret StarbirdMary, Called Magdalene by Margaret GeorgeThe Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan
Meeting Mary Magdalene
22nd out of 33 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryce
This is a sexy read for any recovering Christian.
Denise
This work of fiction purports in the story to be the long lost fifth gospel. In the story, Mary of Bethany and Mary of
Magdala are conflated and made to be the same person. From the beginning, I didn't like that. I also didn't like that
Mary and Jesus had a physical relationship that was quite free and open and perfectly acceptable to all the disciples
and even to Jesus' mother. I also didn't like the style of writing. I wish some of it were true though. 2.7
Michelle Sharpe
Not worth the time or money invested.
Emily
I think my one star says it all. It was painful to finish because it was just that bad. Still, I don't want to dissuade Melisa from reading it. It is full of "sexual undertones" such as: "I removed [Jesus's] clothes, and he mine, and we pulled the long grass over our heads as a hiding place and tickled and caressed and rode each other to our hearts' content."

PS- Happy Mother's Day!
Deirdre
The imagined story of Mary Magdalene using several of the stories about her that have been put forward over the years. Interesting and well written I wish I had read it years ago as it would probably have pleased me more, not having read much less well written versions.

Worth a read for a slightly feminist view of Jesus' life and the way that things could be warped.
Val
I found this a powerful book, emotional especially after Jesus has been cruixified and her grief and her longing to continue to preach the gospel but she had opposition from other deciples.worth reading Its a very short book but insightful would make you think about that time and if Jesus had a relationship with Mary and a family as has been suggested.
Elizabeth
This book caught my interest because of the subject matter, but once it hit about 3/4 through, it really lost momentum. Perhaps something is lost in the translation. I finished it because I only had about fifty pages left, but it felt arduous for a book that's relatively short (198 pages).
Mike Philbin
well, it's a brave writer who totally flies in the face of accepted religious origin, doctrine and practise but Michele Roberts does all that, and more... seriously, if this book were about the Koran, there'd be a fatwa out on her right now.
Meaghan O'Malley
This was interesting. Filled with potential and hope. It was also a novel, and so the swirly dream escapes that I had to read through and dig for some sort of metaphor were kind of frustrating. But overall, beautifully written and uplifting.
It was ok but I found it a bit slushy and not overly gripping. I kept reading, waiting for some sort of message to come through but nothing happened.

I found it all a bit pointless really.
ayrdaomei
The first 50 pages of this book are just one historical fiction cliche after another. It might get better, but that's for someone else to find out.
Johanna
Clunky, boring, blah. There are way better tales of Mary Magdalene out there.
Ceanne
Tried to slog through it, but just could not get into this story.
Elizabeth Chambers
interesting
Clare Azzopardi
Clare Azzopardi marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Mina
Mina marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
RaquelRoberts
RaquelRoberts marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tania Bilokin
Tania Bilokin marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Heide
Heide marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Halle
Halle marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2015
Canadian Reader
Canadian Reader marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mary Magdalene, Bride in Exile
  • The Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • The Passion of Mary Magdalen (Maeve Chronicles, #2)
  • Daughter of Fire (Merlin's Legacy, #1)
  • The Lamplighter
  • The Love of Good Women
  • When She Was Bad
  • The Water Clock (Philip Dryden, #1)
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Judgment Day
  • Private Papers
  • Mary Magdalene
  • God on the Rocks: Distilling Religion, Savoring Faith
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • Mouth to Mouth
  • Second Cadfael Omnibus: St.Peter's Fair/Leper of St.Giles/Virgin in the Ice
  • Midnight Confessions
  • The Orange Trees of Versailles
Michèle Brigitte Roberts is the author of fifteen novels, including Ignorance which was nominated for the Women's Prize for Fiction and Daughters of the House which won the W.H. Smith Literary Award and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Her memoir Paper Houses was BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week in June 2007. She has also published poetry and short stories, most recently collected in Mud: Stori ...more
More about Michèle Roberts...
Ignorance Daughters Of The House Impossible Saints Fair Exchange: A Novel Playing Sardines