Start by marking “Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins, #3)” as Want to Read:
Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins, #3)

Suicide Hill (Lloyd Hopkins #3)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  709 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Detective Sergeant Lloyd Hopkins is the most brilliant homicide detective in the Los Angeles Police Department and one of its most troubled. In his obsessive mission to protect the innocent, there is no line he won’t cross. Estranged from his wife and daughters and on the verge of being drummed out of the department for his transgressions, Hopkins is assigned to investigat ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Vintage (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Hill

Greg
Suicide Hill is a crappy name for a book, and the third book in James Ellroy's Lloyd Hopkins series of books. The title of the books i just shitty, I don't know what I would name the book, but the title is blah. Sorry, demon dog.

I don't know anything about James Ellroy's motivation at the time of this book being written. The cover of the mass-market I read says a Lloyd Hopkins Novel, as if that were being used as a selling point. I get the feeling that Lloyd Hopkins was an attempt to create a r
Tim Niland
The third and culminating book in the Lloyd Hopkins series sees the brilliant Detective sidelined by an LAPD psychiatrist's report that he is unfit for duty and should be forced into an early retirement. While those plans are in motion, Hopkins is assigned to assist an FBI agent on bank robbery duty. While this is happening, Ellroy builds a parallel narrative, in which three men hatch plans to rob Hollywood banks. The first robberies are fairly mundane, but the third explodes into a horrorshow o ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Lloyd Hopkins, investigatore della squadra omicidi della polizia di Los Angeles, è il migliore poliziotto di tutta la città, ma è stato accusato di abuso di potere dai suoi superiori. Viene quindi declassato alla sezioni rapine e furti. Nel frattempo Duane Rice, giovane delinquente e ladro di auto, esce di galera e prepara delle rapine in banca durante la quale, assieme ai suoi complici, due fratelli messicani, uccide due poliziotti, tra cui il figlio di un capo della polizia, Gaffaney. Quest'ul

Raegan Butcher
Another fast tough crime novel from JAmes Ellroy. Unlike his more famous books, this one is set in the present day. But the updating of the scenery doesn't get in the way of his muscular prose. James Ellroy kicks mighty big butt!
Julio
Mucho menos ambiciosa y compleja que las fabulosas L.A. Confidencial o La Dalia Negra, mantiene sin embargo el ambiente negro, descarnado y cruel, dibujado metódicamente con una prosa hecha de frases cortas y ajenas, y personajes fríos, patéticos y miserables, aún si notablemente inteligentes. Como en sus grandes novelas, da la impresión que Ellroy no inventa una historia sino que describe minuciosamente algo de lo que ha sido personalmente testigo. La historia es un encontronazo mortal entre un ...more
Guy
Derde en laatste deel van de Lloyd Hopkins Trilogy, boeken die, net als Clandestine en Brown’s Requiem, al laten voelen dat Ellroy geen doorsnee misdaadauteur is, maar nog niet opmerkelijk genoeg zijn om te kunnen spreken van uitzonderlijke werken. Na Suicide Hill zou nog een tussendoortje volgen (het eigenaardige Killer On The Road), waarna Ellroy uiteindelijk zou uithalen met zijn geweldige L.A. Quartet (The Black, Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential en White Jazz), stuk voor stuk uitst ...more
Jeff
The wrap-up to Ellroy's Lloyd Hopkins trilogy winds up with Ellroy figuring out the next-to-last of the tools he needs: structuring his book around multiple protagonists and how their desires weave together to form a larger tapestry of crime and redemption.

I've got a few more of Ellroy's early books to read but from what I can tell the last, and arguably greatest, decision Ellroy makes--to eschew contemporaneousness and set all of his books forty years behind the times--is a decision made outsid
Benedetta Marinetti
Volevo conoscere questo scrittore, così amato da mio marito, e mi ritengo soddisfatta come primo libro.
Personaggi "curati" nei dettagli caratteriali, psicopatici d'autore, ognuno col suo lato nero con cui convivere. E i cattivi? Da che parte stanno?! Dalla "giustizia" o dalla "strada"?
Ognuno ha la sua fetta di gloria.
Un genere comunque che mi sono sempre rifiutata di scegliere -se potevo-; al momento il mio interesse è tutto per l'autore.
Scritti da Ellroy ne leggerò ancora.
Dean Marquis
the thing that differs Ellroy from other story tellers is that is villian is the constant. hereos come and go but the villian stays the same. here in loyd hopkins he has the opposite. loyd hopkins is the genius / sociopath which makes him borderline bipolar. he cant get along with anyone at work but thats okay because they would just get in his way. loyd says he has to protect woman but he had no problem seducing them, which fits his personality perfectly.
Indah Threez Lestari
1033 - 2014

Argh. Aku terlalu berharap banyak.

Mana coverna nggak cocok buat taun 1980-an lagi...
Peter Shovlin
As good as gritty cop books get - if only Ellroy had kept Hopkins going beyond three books
Doug
Crude in every way. Not satisfying.
Lee
Another earlier Ellroy novel lives up to the Devil Dog's reputation for fast-paced, suspenseful punch in the mouth action. There's a hill, it's called Suicide Hill, and a (alleged, by, well I won't spoil it for you. Stop at "alleged") suicide. Great Thomas Lux poem opens the book, like an apercu on Ellroy's literary work as a whole:

You're alone and you know a few things.

The stars are pinholes; slits in the hangman's mask

Them, rats, snakes;

the chased and chasers--
Dinah
pretty crummy
Leo
I loved this book and couldn't put it down. It's probably because I haven't read Ellroy in so long, but it definitely has the tight complicated conspiracy, rough violence, and bullet ridden dialogue of the L.A. Quartet. My biggest issue is the cover. Why are there men with fedoras on the cover? This book takes place in the 80's and seems just fine.
Junio
Another audiobook I "read." The only James Ellroy book that I've read that took place in the 80's. The 80's were a really grimy time that really works well as a setting for him. It's a really plain narrative structure compared to other books by him. Also, excellent narration in the audiobook.
Joseph
Of the two Lloyd Hopkins books I read, this is by far the best. This is also probably his best early novel. The story plots along for the first half and then goes totally insane. The end is bittersweet in a way Ellroy's books rarely are.
Erin
Lots of action with little difference between the "good guys" and the "bad guys". Unfortunately a lot of foul language and violence also. I had a hard time really caring about any of the characters. But it was a quick read.
Mark
Nov 04, 2012 Mark added it
A good entry level book for Ellroy Beginners-since Ellroy's plots are pretty byzantine its nice to be able to follow one protagonist.If you read all three in the series you can see how his sense of character grew and exploded.
William Thomas
A definite miss for Elroy. Confuses his 50's slang in this late 80's setting and makes the book soun as if it is having an identity crisis. Comes across as a more hard-edged Elmore Leonard, but that really isn't saying much.
Dev
Ellroy before he became a phenom. Tightly drawn characters battling for some crude sense of justice and sanity in a world where the world turns a deaf ear to depravity as long as it's on the side of the Law.
Brian Fagan
For hardcore Ellroy fans only. There isn't an ounce of the genius you see later in his memoirs, LA Quartet novels or his Underworld Trilogy. It's very generic.
Alexander Nader
This was the third Ellroy book I've read and my least favorite. Its not bad, but it is nowhere near on the same level as Black Dahlia or White Jazz
Caitlin
Found there to be too much rape, etc so I had to put it down. I'll try it again but you have to be in the mood for that kind of violence.
Judy
I needed to read a book like this. Tight plot line. Multiple characters with conflicting agendas. An enjoyable fast read.
Cindy Barnett
Audiobook version is well read. f-bombs bombs, sex, drugs, murder, bad & good cops, just what some like in a novel.
Pat
Great to go back and read some older Ellroy, in a different time period than many of his (great) books.
One of the more 'readable' stories from James Ellroy. Less police talk, more intrigue.
Kristen
I loved White Jazz, but found Suicide Hill disappointing in comparison.
Kevin Aston Hoey
Not sure that I finished this one
  • Five Noir Novels of the 1940s and 50s
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • La verità dell'alligatore
  • The Late-night News (Costas Haritos, #1)
  • Nécropolis
  • The Million Dollar Wound (Nathan Heller, #3)
  • The Little Girls
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • La solitudine del manager
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, and Shorter Fiction
  • Complete Novels
  • The Dead Heart
  • Firebreak (Parker, #20)
  • The Baroness: The Search for Nica, the Rebellious Rothschild
  • La donna della domenica
  • Heed the Thunder
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 1
  • The Erection Set
James Ellroy was born in Los Angeles in 1948. His L.A. Quartet novels—The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz—were international best sellers. His novel American Tabloid was Time magazine’s Best Book (fiction) of 1995; his memoir, My Dark Places, was a Time Best Book of the Year and a New York Times Notable Book for 1996. His novel The Cold Six Thousand was a New York ...more
More about James Ellroy...
The Black Dahlia (L.A. Quartet, #1) L.A. Confidential (L.A. Quartet, #3) American Tabloid (Underworld USA, #1) The Big Nowhere (L.A. Quartet, #2) White Jazz (L.A. Quartet, #4)