Start by marking “The Gospel of Philip: Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of Sacred Union” as Want to Read:
The Gospel of Philip: Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of Sacred Union

The Gospel of Philip: Jesus, Mary Magdalene, and the Gnosis of Sacred Union

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A new translation and analysis of one of the most controversial of the apocryphal gospels

• Emphasizes an initiatic marriage between the male and female principles as the heart of the Christian mystery

• Bears witness to the physical relationship shared by Jesus and Mary Magdalene

• Translated from the Coptic and analyzed by the author of the bestselling The Gospel of Mary
Published August 16th 2004 by Inner Traditions (first published May 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel of Philip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel of Philip

Christine Theberge Rafal
Jun 04, 2012 Christine Theberge Rafal rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit
A beautiful book, an interpretation of another of those ancient Coptic texts found at Nag Hammadi. The introduction suggests that the Coptic was a translation of the ancient Greek, mentioning that Philip is a Greek name. Interesting to read it right after Rumi's Four Essential Practices, because it also deals with the breath and the body. Neither adore nor despise the body, but try to make what is material like what is spiritual. Unlike much of the canon of Christianity, the embrace between love ...more
Miles Dunn
Sep 07, 2015 Miles Dunn rated it it was ok
The "Gospel of Philip" is a gnostic document that was unearthed in 1945 in the desert of Nag Hammadi, Egypt. It is said to have been written by one of the disciples of the apostle Philip regarding the teachings of that same Philip.

The book is not too long and if you focused your attention on reading just this book you could easily finish it in a few days. It is simple to read.

There were a few insights that the book had that I enjoyed. They caused me to contemplate the gospel of Jesus Christ fro
Angel
Sep 07, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: open minded people
Shelves: religion-studies
From my journal notes in 2005, when I read this book. It was a new acquisition at my previous place of work. Though I am not religious, I always strive to read items about religion to learn more about others as well as about history:

>>This Gospel, along with others, was suppressed by the mainstream church for being against dogma. Yet, upon reading this book, one gets such a better sense of the roots of Christianity, and those roots were for inclusiveness and more egalitarian roles for men
Zachery
Feb 21, 2009 Zachery rated it really liked it
The Gospel of Philip is not as high on my list as Leloup's translations of the other Gnostic gospels. It is an earlier publication, and his style of commentary has yet to be established in my opinion. He doesn't do as thorough a job of elucidating the text as he does with later publications. I think if I had read this one before the others, it might have rated higher. That said, the content of this particular gospel is intriguing, and invites us to experience the sexual embrace as one of highest ...more
Mike
Jan 18, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
I found Leloup's translation of the Gospel of Philip harder to follow than the one in _The Luminous Gospels_ by Lynn Bauman. I was hoping for Leloup's commentary analogous to that in his _The Gospel of Mary Magdalene_ translation, but there's not much commentary in this title.
Elaine
Mar 12, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
A Gnostic Gospel
Sonic
Feb 05, 2014 Sonic rated it it was amazing
I do not claim to understand much of this, but it was a super interesting and ponderous read nonetheless. Leloup does a fantastic job (again) at offering helpful guidance.
Yet this was still very enigmatic.
Tamara Agha-Jaffar
Tamara Agha-Jaffar rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Sue Newport
Sue Newport marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Marilyn Candia
Marilyn Candia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Arto
Arto added it
Apr 19, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Maisha
Maisha rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2016
Stacee Kramer
Stacee Kramer rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Nivea
Nivea marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2015
Lacey
Lacey rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Jacqueline freegard
Jacqueline freegard rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jean-Yves Leloup, an Orthodox theologian, is well known in Europe, North and South America as a popular author on spirituality and psychology. He is the founder of the Institute of Other Civilization Studies and the International College of Therapists. He has written more than fifty books and has also translated and commented the gospels of Thomas, Miriam of Magdala, Philip and John.
More about Jean-Yves Leloup...