Start by marking “After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture” as Want to Read:
After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture

After the Revolution: Profiles of Early American Culture

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Each life is fascinating in its own right, and each is used to brightly illuminate the historical context.
Published March 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published November 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about After the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Revolution

Lauren Albert
Ellis makes two main points and the book felt repetitive to me as he argued those points in the introductory chapters and the four profile chapters of Charles Willson Peale, Noah Webster, Hugh Henry Brackenridge and William Dunlap. First, he argues that there was a general feeling of cultural potential in the early Republic, even though there was no tangible evidence of a cultural flourishing. He believes that it was based on a general feeling that artists would thrive, along with commerce, in a ...more
David Kopec
Aug 09, 2013 David Kopec rated it really liked it
Well Written and Researched but Incomplete

Contrary to a previous reviewer, I do feel the preface and early chapters have value. Ellis is attempting to tell a unified story regarding the expectations for American cultural greatness, the roots of these expectations, and the reasons for their lack of flourishing immediately following the revolution. The early chapters and preface provide a context for that story, which plays itself out through the lives of the four individuals recounted in the in t
Joe Conklin
Dec 16, 2008 Joe Conklin rated it really liked it

First, I should say I was duped into buying this book. It was billed as "written by the author of Founding Brothers", which it certainly was. And I assumed since the title was After the Revolution, it would be a follow up book on Founding Brothers. However, it was written over 30 years prior to most of Ellis' best known books. As such the preface was nearly unreadable and Part I wasn't much better. However, those are only the first 20 pages or so. Part II was very good and displays a glimpse of
Fraser Sherman
Apr 04, 2015 Fraser Sherman rated it liked it
Shelves: history
3.5. An early book by Ellis on why the revolutionary generation widely assumed that overthrowing tyranny would lead to a massive bloom of artistic genius and why it didn't happen. To make this concrete, Ellis looks at a painter, a playwright,a novelist and dictionary creator Noah Webster to see what they hoped for in their careers, how things worked out, and how they dealt with the shift from a world of revolutionary idealism to a growing emphasis on commerce.
Diane
Aug 25, 2008 Diane rated it really liked it
This book is composed of vignettes about four American culture makers (authors, artists, dramatists, etc.) in the first generation after the Revolutionary War. Although the individuals profiled are generally not household names, the book includes a lot of information about early American culture, and explains why it took such a long time for the newly independent United States to develop an artistic tradition.
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Joseph Ellis is a wonderfully clear writing and writes primarily about the American REvolutionary period. This 1979 study of four colonial artists--painter, playright, novelist and wordsmith (?Noah Webster)--is a wonderful look at colonial life. It makes it clear that America was a whole new invention, not a new Europe or a new anything else. It is simply itself and is still becoming that.
Marian
Aug 07, 2015 Marian rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: history enthusiasts
Shelves: textbooks, history
Easy to read, good for a textbook, but could have been a lot shorter. The biographies of Peale, Brackenridge, Dunlap, and Webster contain an interesting balance of chronology, trivia, and analysis. Naturally, they all tie into Ellis's theme/thesis, which centers on the conflicts between democracy and American art. Overall, it was pretty good, if somewhat repetitive.
Crystal
Feb 18, 2008 Crystal rated it liked it
I found it interesting to see the expectations of the post-revolutionary generation for the greatness of American culture. I wonder what they would think of our culture today!
Tony Laplume
Jul 25, 2012 Tony Laplume rated it really liked it
Ellis has not yet refined his ability to synthesize and accurately define the figures and character of a given age. Or perhaps I must reread Founding Brothers...
John E
Aug 23, 2011 John E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Simple thesis and well written and well documented history of the cultural ideas of the immediate post-American Revolutionary period.
Judy
Sep 13, 2012 Judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on, borrowed

Gave this a shot because Joseph J. Ellis is one of my favorites, but I couldn't get into this one. It just wasn't what I was expecting.
Jim
Jul 30, 2011 Jim rated it liked it
This is important information to know, but it is a slow read. I used it like Nyquil, but I read it.
Kirsten
May 08, 2010 Kirsten rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting to American history buffs like myself, but not very entertaining. A bit dry.
Jim
Jul 24, 2009 Jim rated it it was ok
Not my area of interest, however, it was interesting to learn.
Matt
Dec 27, 2008 Matt rated it it was ok
Only really liked the chapter on Noah Webster.
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Andy Villanueva III
Andy Villanueva III marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
The Ninja Squirrel
The Ninja Squirrel marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ben Zajdel
Ben Zajdel is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Lucas Smith
Lucas Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Dean McCallum
Dean McCallum rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Misty McGurgan
Misty McGurgan marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Ian Hawley
Ian Hawley marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Travis Halleman
Travis Halleman rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Tara Barr
Tara Barr rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015
Melissa Boles
Melissa Boles marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Zahrah
Zahrah marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
  • The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery
  • Foxfire 8
  • Presidential Courage: Brave Leaders & How They Changed America 1789-1989
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
  • Thomas Paine and the Promise of America
  • Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome
  • The Road to Disunion: Volume I: Secessionists at Bay, 1776-1854
  • Scorpion Tongues New and Updated Edition: Gossip, Celebrity, and American Politics
  • The Americans, Vol. 1: The Colonial Experience
  • The Declaration of Independence and Other Great Documents of American History 1775-1865
  • Writings
  • The Great Democracies (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #4)
  • The Promise of American Life
  • John Adams: A Life
Joseph J. Ellis, a professor of history at Mount Holyoke College, is a nationally recognized scholar of American history from colonial times through the early decades of the Republic. The author of seven books, he is recipient of the National Book Award in Nonfiction for American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson and the Pulitzer Prize for Founding Brothers. He lives in Massachusetts.
More about Joseph J. Ellis...