Start by marking “Swimming with Strangers” as Want to Read:
Swimming with Strangers

Swimming with Strangers

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This Life She's Chosen, Kirsten Sundberg Lunstrum's acclaimed debut story collection hailed as "haunting and inspired" by The Boston Globe introduced readers to her penetrating and delicate voice. In eight new stories, Lunstrum further explores the nuances and complexities of women's relationships with their lovers, friends, and families in a new collection. Authentic, pro ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Chronicle Books (first published April 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Swimming with Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swimming with Strangers

Ali
I admit that the cover is what drew me to the book. A woman stands waist deep in a large body of water as a storm rages overhead; she’s soaking wet despite the bright red umbrella she clings to.

Then the title popped out: Swimming with Strangers. Those three simple words symbolized so much next to this image of a solitary woman. When I got home with the book, only moments passed before I was curled up with it, the promise of wordplay at hand.

The talent evident in Kirsten Sundberg Lunstrum’s colle
Indigo Editing/Ink-Filled Page

The talent evident in Kirsten Sundberg Lunstrum’s colle
Alea
I love short stories and thought I'd gotten used to the fact that sometimes they just fade to an ending without anything concrete happening to end the story. Maybe I've had enough of that because I was really hoping for something to happen at the ending of each of these instead of them just ending. Maybe I need a break from short stories?

So because of that I guess this collection was just ok for me. Some of the stories did stand out for me more than others including: Dangerous Women, about a co
Ashley
I adored this book. It is a collection of short stories that all take a very close look at the, "nuances and complexities of women's relationships with their lovers, friends, and families," (back cover). It's difficult to explain why each story felt like a precious gift to me. I believe it has something to do with the way the endings are anti climactic, but in a way that doesn't leave the reader hanging. Instead they reminded me of real life. Of how things are never wrapped up nicely in neat lit ...more
Clifford
I remember reading "Familial Kindness" when it appeared in One Story. At the time I thought it was a bit of a puzzle, but it seems to fairly standard for Lunstrum's stories. I'm not a fan of clear resolutions, but these stories seem end ambiguously in a big way. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but for me is less than satisfying. I found motivations of characters to be something of a puzzle, as well. Not that they behaved improbably, just that within the story it wasn't always clear why they ...more
Jenna Briand
I am loving this collection of short stories so far. Water is the connecting thread from story to story, and the author beautifully captures the essence of quiet, life-transforming moments in each.
Jocelyn
great book, I like this set of stories better than the first. novellas are fantastic:) her use of water is moving and beautiful:)
Brian
I left this book on a plane. :( I was really enjoying it, too...What I did get to read of it showed a really well paced writer.
Cathy Serpico
Gorgeous stories, like watching emotions under a microscope.
John
Well-crafted, but dull. Lacks that extra spark.
Sherri Hart
Sherri Hart marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Marnie
Marnie marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Ruyin Liao
Ruyin Liao is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Laura Corrigan
Laura Corrigan marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Nicole Jacob
Nicole Jacob marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Ellie Roscher
Ellie Roscher marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Emily Verona
Emily Verona marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
Julia Van, yo!
Julia Van, yo! marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Catherine Knott
Catherine Knott marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2013