Start by marking “The Master of White Storm” as Want to Read:
The Master of White Storm

The Master of White Storm

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Chronicles the lifetime adventures of a mercenary hired out to resolve the increasingly difficult afflictions that beset his homeworld. From violent misfortune and escape from slavery, the tale follows the master through encounters with magic, towns beseiged by arcane monsters, armed forces, and curses.
Mass Market Paperback, 413 pages
Published March 1st 1992 by Roc (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Master of White Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Master of White Storm

seak
Apr 02, 2014 seak rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I've begun to realize that reading fantasy** has given me a superpower. It's not generally considered a superpower per se, but it IS a power I've received from my reading ventures. And maybe it's not necessarily a power, but it is a skill and really that's all superpowers are right? Cool skills.

**Quite possibly reading fiction in general, but I like to think it's just fantasy

Fine, okay, but Batman's a superhero and has no superpower ... so maybe it fits in there, somewhere.

Does this have a poin
Jon
Jul 19, 2013 Jon added it
Recommended to Jon by: Fantasy Book Club March 2010 Selection
Stefan
As Master of Whitestorm starts off, Haldeth, a blacksmith turned galley slave, gets involved in an escape attempt by his mysterious and silent bench mate—a man who quickly proves to have surprising skills and hidden depths. The two companions strike out together after their escape. The mysterious man, whose name is Korendir, takes on a number of mercenary missions. It quickly becomes clear that Korendir is, to put it mildly, very focused on gathering enough money to build an impregnable fortress ...more
Jim
This was a good, stand alone fantasy novel. The hero is complex & very tough. The descriptions of horses & especially sailing scenes are especially well done. The author's obvious familiarity with these two subjects shines through.

The story line is excellent. While not indicated by sections, there are distinct parts to the hero's life, each one building to a climax & logically leading to the next. The suspense never ends in a world that is complex & dangerous.

The cover art was ex
Giacomo
Janny Wurts is one of my favorite authors. Her stories are always interesting and her voice refreshing. Master of Whitestorm was no different. I had been spoiled by the Empire Series, as I consider it to be one of the best SciFi/Fantasy series I’ve ever read, but that aside, Master of Whitestorm delivered a solid read.

The protagonist, Korendir, was a solid, if perhaps too typical character. In a sense he was predictable to where you knew what he would do, and yet, he was a strong enough charact
Sandra
I was introduced to Janny Wurts by first reading The Curse of the Mistwraith and totally loving it, so was hooked. Being my compulsive self, I couldn't stop reading until I finished that series before working my way backward through her earlier works.

This book tells the story of Korendir, first introduced as a galley slave. He's a 'typical' Wurts hero in that he's tough, defended, smart, prickly (extremely), and underneath it all, a total cream puff. Having been introduced to this sort in the M
Chris
Feb 24, 2010 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Janny Wurts fans; any fantasy fans
An enjoyable stand-alone fantasy from Janny Wurts, who is becoming one of my favorite authors.

The Master of Whitestorm, Korinder is an interesting character. He seems to be emotionally dead at first glance, but as the story progresses we see more deeply into his personality.

The tragic scenes that he has to deal with are very effective. I don't want to go into that too deeply and spoil anything, but there are a few scenes in this book that will stay with me for a long time.

As far as the accomplis
R.j. Davnall
'The Master of Whitestorm' is fantasy as classic as it comes. Beautiful writing, a gifted, headstrong, tortured hero, vicious monsters, a mysterious love interest and a fascinating approach to magic. The book is episodic, each episode dealing with a different threat to Korendir, our hero, and each episode raises the stakes just far enough on the preceding to be new and exciting. The sheer imagination on display when it comes to the monsters is staggering.

If there's something that makes this book
Eddie
This is a solid fantasy read.
Diana
Great Book!!!!!!
Brandon Zarzyczny
For most of the book, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Master of Whitestorm is written well, and it has some interesting ideas, but I think that mainly just didn't like the style of the storytelling. The third-person point of view used here combined with the personality of the characters made it so that I just didn't care about them. I never really knew how they ticked, and the one point in the story where we get more of the Master Whitestorm's back-story, it didn't make me like him more. He h ...more
Kat  Hooper
Janny Wurts’ The Master of Whitestorm is a stand-alone high fantasy that, like the author’s other work, differentiates itself from other fantasies published in the late 20th century that feature a medieval-style setting. The book has recently been produced in audio format by Audible and is read by British actor Simon Prebble, a highly decorated audiobook narrator and someone whose name I’m always happy to see in the credits. As expected, he does a wonderful job with The Master of Whitestorm and ...more
Stuart
This book proved to be a good introduction to the author. I had never read any of Janny’s books previously and was hoping to take to this book. I did it gripped me from the first page, I liked the driven nature of the hero and the way that the novel without wanting to create any spoilers had an ending that was logical and did not create a sense of incredulity. I kept asking myself did I want the main character to be more fleshed out, on a certain level, I did, the literary snob in me, but that m ...more
Walter Herrick
This is probably my favorite stand-alone book by Wurts, although her Empire trilogy with Feist is up in my favorites as well. Korendir, who becomes the Master if Whitestorm, stays true to his core beliefs throughout the book...irregardless of whether those beliefs prove a strength, like in the beginning of the book, or a weakness, like in the end....well, not necessarily a weakness...but Korendir's stubbornness and commitment to his beliefs provide a very understandable, and poignant end to a re ...more
Max Kielsmeier

While I think it's more of a 3.5 than a 4 star, I hate to go down instead of up. In this stand alone fantasy novel, Korendir has his family taken from him by raiders and he is turned into a galley slave. After a few years of being the silent, weird galley slave that gives most people the a case of the chills, he organizes a violent overthrow of the slavers and so begins the adventures of a mercenary warrior that uses his wits to bring an end to problems the world over.

He goes out and builds a
Ita
My first Janny Wurts book. Maybe my last. Too bad cause I do love the covers of her books.

Mostly, I had a problem suspending belief. I had no problem with the fantasy part of the book, but I just couldn't believe Korendir was able to accomplish the tasks he undertook and they all got gnarlier and gnarlier.

Also, I didn't find the characters particularly likable or all that interesting. They were kind of flat. IOW, I didn't bond with anyone.

SPOILERS

He survives in a dark cave system with fast, hung
G33z3r
An episodic Sword and Sorcery story with plenty of the traditional elements. The hero, Korendir, is almost a throwback to Conan, incredibly strong, tough, heroic, and laconic, if more educated.

The structure of the novel is so intensely episodic, a sequence of adventures and exploits beginning with Korendir's escape from being a galley slave and proceeding through looting a wizards tower, seizing Whitestorm castle for his stronghold, and battling sundry monsters on behalf of suffering innocents;
Althea Ann
The book has that serial-adventurer format which reminds me of old Conan stories (& etc) but more sophisticated/emotional/psychological.
The writing has a definite fairy-tale feel which recalls Patricia McKillip -
but it also has that epic-fantasy-tale aspect which Wurts does so well....

Good book!
Nessieh
Loved it, the main character reminded me of Arithon from the mistwraith series. Very Janny Wurts in style a great read. Also a good standalone novel didn't feel hurried or compacted.
Thomas Knowles
This is a new release from Event Horizon EBooks, an e-book reprint of the original 1992 ROC printed edition. Note that the rating is posted by the publisher.
Helen
but wait, there's more endings, almost discreet short stories of a hero's life
Kidgreg
Great book!! I need to get off my @$$ and review it.
Alissa
Very refreshing fantasy book featuring a complex adult main protagonist dealing with his fears and an original, fast-paced story crafted with the trademark rhythm and style of Janny Wurts.

At the beginning of the story both Korendir and Haldeth, the other main character, end up as slave oarsmen in the same nightmarish pirate galley that have captured them, but over the course of the book they evolve very differently. Haldeth, the eldest, reveals his painful experience while Korendir, little more
Leighann
Fantasy Literature
Courtney Schafer
Excellent standalone fantasy adventure. I'm a sucker for prickly, difficult characters who wall themselves up in all kinds of emotional armor, and protagonist Korendir is a perfect example of the type. Plus, as a climber myself, how could I resist a book that mixes mountaineering and magic? Wurts writes some great heart-pounding scenes involving ice climbing and high alpine travel, not to mention some badass magical monsters. The book is a great read, and one I'd heartily recommend to anyone who ...more
Maria
For reasons not related to the book it took me ages to finish it, and I guess it spoiled some of the impression.

I loved the language, the style of prose, that were reach and consistent both through the entire book and with regards to the hero. The plot, to my opinion, is somewhat unclear, the story is too long, and the search of a self is not apparent. I wouldn't even think this was the purpose of the book if I hadn't read a criticism piece elsewhere.
Stephen
I had a hard time with this book, and I wanted to give it all the chances I could because of my regard for the Empire series Ms. Wurts wrote with Fiest. I could never identify with the character. The plot seemed disjointed to me. Quite a few times I thought that she seemed to be expounding upon some knowledge she had just researched, such as pre-modern sailing technique. All in all it came out to me like a writer just learning the craft.
Julie
The first 100 pages set up the book and sometimes I was wondering about all the adventures and how they all connected together. However, as the story comes together it all makes sense and is a page-turner. I love how the main character isn't a superhero or even a mage but a lucky and stubborn man trying to escape his demons. I also love the fact that as a reader you grow with him and the ending is the reward in its self.
  • Black Sun Light My Way (Children of the Black Sun, #2)
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
  • Sorcerer's Son (The Book of Elementals, #1)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4)
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The First Named (Servants of Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • The Return of Nightfall (Nightfall, #2)
  • World Without End (Moontide and Magic Rise, #1)
  • The One-Armed Queen (Great Alta, #3)
  • Devlin's Luck (Sword of Change, #1)
Janny Wurts is the author of War of Light and Shadow series, and To Ride Hell's Chasm. Her eighteen published titles include a trilogy in audio, a short story collection, as well as the internationally best selling Empire trilogy, co authored with Raymond E. Feist, with works translated into fifteen languages worldwide. Her latest title in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, Initiate's Trial, cul ...more
More about Janny Wurts...
The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light & Shadow, #1) Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #2) Stormwarden (The Cycle of Fire, #1) Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2) The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)