Start by marking “Flowers from the Storm” as Want to Read:
Flowers from the Storm

Flowers from the Storm

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  6,556 ratings  ·  578 reviews
The Duke of Jervaulx was brilliant - and dangerous. Considered dissolute, reckless, and extravagant, he was transparently referred to as the "D of J" in scandal sheets. But sometimes the most womanizing rakehell can be irresistible, and even his most causal attentions fascinated the sheltered Maddy Timms.

Then one fateful day she receives the shocking news - the duke is lo...more
Mass Market Paperback, 533 pages
Published May 27th 2003 by Avon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Flowers from the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers from the Storm

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

I'm going to start with a warning - this is probably the worse review I've ever written because of how deeply, how emotionally I connected with the hero. My review is a cheesy, rambling, hot mess, so read at your own risk.

With any book I read, I hope to connect with the hero and heroine, to feel what it is the author is trying to convey. Well, I didn’t have to try hard at all with this story, and no matter how many times I’ve attempted to write this review, I find myself in tears. And, as odd...more
Duchess Nicole

“God forgive, Jervaulx - that I sh'd love thee."
"That I should love thee.

Out of all of the Historical romances I’ve read, this is the one that stands out as the most unconventional of them all. What a brave author to have tackled this subject, and what a remarkably insightful, tender way to do it.

~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`~`*`
MY SYNOPSIS:
Archimedea Timms is a Friend…a Quaker…a quiet, devoutly religious and pious woman who grew up in that lifestyle. She knows no other way;...more
UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

It's official - this is my favorite story, ever!

I first read Flowers from the Storm in 2009 and fell in love with Christian and his Maddygirl from their very first words on the page, but it's such an emotional story that I couldn't bring myself to read it again, though I thought of it often. That said, when my sweet friend, Lady Wesley, raved about the amazing narration given this story by Nicholas Boulton, I just had to give it a listen.

And I am so, so glad that I did!

Honestly, I can't even beg...more
GHOULIO™
remarkable.

deliciously dark and somewhat in my black-hearted sweet spot. love me a humbled bad-boy, and love to hate a puritanical idiot unable to resist the promise of an orgasm.

and jesu—what an orgasm.

about the most erotic hetero love scene i can ever remember reading.
Eastofoz
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Approximately twenty-eight years ago, a young girl picked up a book from her mother's box of books out of boredom. Her life was changed. Ever since then, her favorite type of book has been historical romance. She has read a lot of it. There have been many that she has enjoyed. But some books just stand out. This is one of them.

Because of how much I liked this book, this is a very long review. I apologize if you don't like long reviews. The short of it is I loved this book very much. If you want...more
Erika
Jun 30, 2012 Erika rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who are interested in thought-provoking romance
The more we love a book, the harder it is to write the review, right? I have to, with this one. This is not, by any means, an average romance book. It's the kind of romance which I would recommend to those who think romance books have so little to offer. The book is so much more than two people from two different world who break all the rules, find their way to each other, and live HEA. From a woman's perspective, I say this book was too sad, too sweet, too emotionally intense. It's an epic love...more
Misfit
Oh, how to review this and not say something that's been said 100 times by all the other reviewers?

The powerful, brilliant and oh-so-sexy The Duke of Jervaulx has a stroke of sorts, but his family thinks he's lost his mind and shuts him away for his own good - and no one to believe he's not insane and dangerous - until Quaker Maddy Tims comes to Blythedale to help her uncle.

"She lifted her head. He wasn’t a two-year-old. He had not lost his reason. He isn’t mad; he is maddened."

That's about a...more
K.
Laura Kinsale’s “Flowers From the Storm”
(From my thread discussion topic post “ on Amazon’s “Historical Romance Forum” sometime around Feb. ‘09 (unchanged))

I recently finished reading "Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale. This is a well-loved book by many and remains high on the "keeper" shelves out there. So how come I can't figure out why so many people fell in love with this couple? I just don't get it. I found the book to be "all suffering, all the time" (i.e. an over-abundance of serio...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
This would have been five stars, if not for Maddie and her obsession with her religion. She started out more open minded, then became less so, which I found strange, since she was supposedly growing more in love with Christian the farther along in the book. Sometimes she's also a little too mean for my liking...I just felt so bad for Christian, I wanted to protect him and put him in this little bubble of safety. I seriously felt his pain as if it were my own.

This is one the most UNIQUE romance...more
TJ
This book is the PERFECT example of the old cliche' "you can't judge a book by its cover". I was confused by the effusive praise for this story, thinking it just another dime store romance... judging by the cover. Never has that cliche hit home so strongly as when I started reading. Ms. Kinsale has taken an ordinary historical and completely turned it into a deep and riveting story with a richness seldom seen in this genre. In fact, I think the publishers have done a huge injustice to such a fin...more
Bill
On Amazon, K asked me why I thought this book was romantic. She doesn't. this was my reply:

I have been thinking about this for a few days. At first I thought isn't this like trying to describe why chocolate cake tastes good. But that is a sensation. Identifying a book as romantic is a mental process, so I ought to be able to do this.

I don't think we are debating whether FFTS is a romance. Its focus is the love between two people and it has a HEA ending. That makes it a romance. It does have othe...more
Dina
Mar 05, 2009 Dina marked it as to-avoid
From K. @ Ami:
'I recently finished reading "Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale. This is a well-loved book by many and remains high on the "keeper" shelves out there. So how come I can't figure out why so many people fell in love with this couple? I just don't get it. I found the book to be "all suffering, all the time" (i.e. an over-abundance of serious issues and long drawn out angst).

A brief synop.: [SPOILER - BUT IT'S THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE NOVEL!:] The hero begins the story (litera...more
Jean
I wanted to like this book, I really did. The premise sounded great and it received rave reviews. As a work of fiction it was brave, detailed and uncompromising in its depiction of characters who were true polar opposites falling in love. I liked the stark depiction of the Victorian asylum, the inadequacy of health services and rehabilitation, the constant jockeying of mercenary relatives, and political manoeuvring of the upper classes. However, for me, as a romance it failed. I found Christian...more
Felicia
I did NOT want to read this book, I mean, a Quaker chick?! A dude who can't speak?! Bleck!

Well, this is a hot mess of awesome, everything but the kitchen sink is thrown into this dense plot, but in a GOOD way! Characters are great, plot very taunt and gripping (not talking about the sex scenes either, HAR HAR ;) ) I enjoyed it thoroughly and have several other books by the author on my Kindle, including Shadow and the Star, a Victorian romance where the guy is a child prostitution survivor and a...more
Caz
I’ve put off writing this review for a couple of weeks. Partly because I’ve been a bit busy and wanted to take the time to do it justice, and partly because it’s such an emotionally complex story that I felt a bit drained after listening to it and needed to have all my braincell (!) in gear in order to be able to think straight!
Even now, I’m not sure that’s the case, but here goes.

As with my reviews for The Prince of Midnight and Midsummer Moon, the short version of this review is “It’s absolute...more
This may be the best romance ever. Laura Kinsale crafts the unlikely love of Duke brought low by a stroke (he's a very young stroke victim) and the Quaker girl who helps heal him. The way she writes the hero is fabulous--he's perfectly understandable in his thoughts and you can almost hear the disability he's fighting in the writing. It's hard to describe the wonder of this novel and how good of a job Kinsale did with her characters.
Miranda Davis
I told myself not to pick this up yet but I was thumbing through it and got caught up about halfway in. The duke has been stricken, Maddy has sprung him from the horror of an insane asylum and spirited him off to his ancestral castle with the help of his two good friends, one of whom, a minister, convinces her to marry the duke to save him from his evil in-laws. So I started reading where the rake starts reforming and the Quaker prissy prim petticoats starts enjoying debauchery, though she strug...more
Raquel
~4.5~

Hmmm, this would have been a solid 5 stars for me if Maddy wouldn’t have dampen my mood so close to the end. Right from the start, it felt different and unique with interesting conflict going that kept me wanting to know what was going to happen. There is a lot of plain speech dialogue which was a bit hard to read sometimes but at the same time I thought it was interesting. I noticed that some other reviews have this shelved as erotica, and it is NOT. There are very little love scenes (mayb...more
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Can't say that I really liked it. I didn't mind reading it, I just couldn't connect to the story. I waited patiently for that point when I would connect and fall in love with it, but sadly, that never happened. I'm mad, because this seems to be a favorite of many people.

Usually I really love the tortured hero stories. I consider myself a sucker for them. But Christian didn't fall into my “characters I love” category. There were times when I did like him, but that was about it. Sometimes the way...more
Lady Wesley
Oct 08, 2013 Lady Wesley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in the entire world
Shelves: listened, amz-rev, aud-rev
Can I give it a hundred stars? A thousand?

My GR friend Caz opened her review of this audiobook by saying, “It’s absolutely fantastic, so go and buy it immediately!” I can only add that this is an understatement.

I read this book in 2011 and gave it four stars. Although I thought it was a wonderful story, the annoying Quaker heroine kept it from being a five star read for me. Caz's review, however, finally inspired me to take a chance on an audiobook, and I'm so glad that I did.

In the excellent ha...more
❤Summer
Christian Richard Francis Langland, the duke of Jervaulx a Math wizard and also “dissolute, reckless and extravagant, a gallant, a gambler, a womanizer, a patron of creaturely arts… referred to as the D of J in scandal sheets, where he and his various exploits appeared with frequency.”

Archimedia Timms, Maddy, Maddygirl, age 28 a Quaker woman of plain speaking and looks with a “strict daily routine, plain, wholesome food and habits of discipline.”

Christian and Maddy become acquainted through he...more
Erin
Normally, I might hesitate to give a romance novel 5 stars, but I loved this book. It's a historical, set in Regency-ish England. Hero is a man who has a seizure of some sort that leaves him unable to speak, heroine is a Quaker nurse who meets him just before he has the seizure and, coincidentally of course, gets committed to her cousin's asylum. She's the only one who figures out that he's not crazy, he just can't speak.

Lots of layers here. The hero is trapped both in the cell in the asylum an...more
LiteraryLover
I always love romance novels where the plot is bigger than 'man meets woman, woman falls in love, man has misunderstanding about woman, drama, and then a neatly packaged HEA'. I mean I do appreciate a simple love story, but sometimes I want something bigger with more scope without losing the center of the love story. I think this book was definitely what I was looking for in that. The first third of the book was fantastic. It reminded me a little of the plot from 'The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenz...more
Sara
This is the book that absolutely sold me on Laura Kinsale as a great author, not just a great romance author. Spoilers ahead!!

The main characters are Christian, the Duke of Jervaulx (I know, I know, there is a Duke in almost every romance novel, but at least this time the fact that he's a Duke is very important to the story in a realistic way) and Maddy Timms, a Quaker.

Christian, at the start of the novel, is a rake. Not just a "rake for the sake of making the character slightly interesting - he...more
Lady Wesley
The sympathetic hero more than makes up for the annoying Quaker heroine.

The above was my snippy one-line review from three years ago. Since then, I've reread this book, and listened to the incomparable audiobook, and I declare that FFTS is one of the best historical romances ever. Laura Kinsale is in a class by herself.
Galla
4.5

This novel is about an unrepentant rake who has a severe stroke resulting in aphasia. When his family, who interpret his confusion, anger, and linguistic difficulties as a descent into madness, send him to a lunatic asylum, his only hope for recovery might lie with a Quaker woman who refuses to believe he's beyond hope.

A set-up like that could have gone horribly wrong, but it didn't. Kinsale's characterizations are superb, in part because she doesn't shy away from representing the emotional...more
maricar
First off, i was not a big fan of ms. kinsale since i was disappointed with The Hidden Heart. i hadn't thought of picking up another book by her. when i heard how good FFTS was, i decided to brave the odds and give her another try.

and to this day, i am so glad i read this book.

straight to the point--this book is ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE BEST in the romance genre. no buts, no exaggerations.

it is so full of emotion and tenderness. and after reading it, i felt like i was holding a real treasure in my...more
Regan Walker
Quaker Heroine and Rake Hero Make for an Unusual, Brilliant Romance

Published in 1992, this historical romance moved the genre forward in a way others had not. Set in the late 1820s, it deals with the subject of physical malady leading to apparent (but not real) madness and the recovery that gradually restored sense and communication. It also involves the mind of a Quaker woman dealing with her growing feelings for a man she would otherwise find reprehensible.

Named for the great mathematician, A...more
D
Oct 05, 2014 D rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of quality romance; bronte fans
Recommended to D by: Lynn Weber
first read in early 2011: a shockingly good story. unexpected. this has the gravity and quality of jane eyre or wuthering heights. i was quite surprised to find this caliber of narration, characterization, plotting, and pacing in a romance novel. this book compelled me to give the genre my serious attention. i had no idea what i was missing.

apparently this book is often listed as the best among all romance novels. i've since read several that i prefer, but i am completely sympathetic to that poi...more
Goodreads Librari...: Correcting ISBN? 10 35 Aug 19, 2014 10:45AM
Buddy Read Zone: Flowers From the Storm 58 42 Mar 10, 2014 09:27AM
Romance Readers R...: Buddy Read: FAC - Flowers From The Storm 18 35 Sep 28, 2013 06:04AM
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Untie My Heart
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #2)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Not Quite a Husband
  • The Rake
  • The Secret Pearl
  • Scandal
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
  • Broken Wing
Laura Kinsale is a New York Times bestselling author and both winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She become a romance writer after six years as a geologist--a career which consisted of getting out of bed in the middle of the night and driving hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and at...more
More about Laura Kinsale...
The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2) Lessons in French For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1) The Prince of Midnight Seize the Fire

“The baby closed its mouth, staring at him with hope and small hiccups.

“Jesus,” he said. He lay down on the bed, pulling the pillow under his head, and drew the whole bundle of coat, shawl and infant up against his shirt. A tiny hand closed tight on the lace. One sob erupted, and then changed midbreath to a soft sigh.

Women, he thought sardonically, sinking in the bedclothes, with sleep revolving and closing in his head. He moved one finger, feeling a cheek as soft as down.

What’s your name?

Ask the girl. Remember that…

Maddy…

It was wrong. I must leave thee now.

Don’t cry. Don’t cry, little girl… I’m so tired. I never deserved you, did I? Maddy… but I loved you.

I always loved you.”