Start by marking “Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916” as Want to Read:
Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916

Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  27 reviews

On Easter Monday of 1916, a thousand Irish men and women, armed with pikes and rifles, took over the center of Dublin and proclaimed a republic. It was a rash, doomed, symbolic uprising, and the rebel leaders knew it. Crack British troops killed and wounded hundreds of the rebels in the week of fighting, and British artillery shells left Dublin's city center in ruins.

But t
Published February 18th 1992 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rebels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebels

Lady
Jul 16, 2012 Lady rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, celtic
"Ireland's history is something the English should remember and the Irish should forget."
-Old Irish folk saying

Detailed, riveting, poetic, tragic, comical, poignant, thoughtful. I wept.

Please remember those brave men who were unjustly shot by soldiers of the British army because they wanted freedom for Ireland more than they wanted to live. And thank you, General Maxwell, you ultimate piece of shit, for shooting these men. The irony is that by so doing, you thus sparked Ireland into a war with
Josh Graml
This book feels like one of those really good HBO miniseries. It's got a compelling story, a cast of weird and fantastic characters and is set in a suitably alien, but still familiar-enough, era. First World War era Dublin really does come alive as band of Irish revolutionaries debate, fight amongst themselves, and finally rise up against the English establishment. Fascinating, stuff. While the book is technically non-fiction, de Rosa does have a habit of conjuring up dialogue among the characte ...more
Maureen
Fascinating account of the Easter Rising... a bit cumbersome though as a result of the sheer amount of detail - on people, places, events - but bravo to de Rosa for pulling so many threads into one. A good read for those interested in Irish history.
Sheila
Have read many books about the leaders and times of 1916 Ireland but this is among the best. Melded it all together for me. Credulous dialogue of participants.
Matt
A bit cumbersome due to all the characters in the book, but a really engaging story. Rebels does a great job of just not being a history book - but an actual story - which makes it a good read.
Karen
I must admit I skipped over parts. So many characters (real) it was hard to keep up. But wanted to read this after visiting kilmairham jail and other Dublin sites. Sad, funny,....
Jeff
I had to read this book as an elective text for a World History class in college. I must say it was written well and was one of the most informative books I've read to this day on Irish history.

In the midst of World War I, Irish rebels staged and offense against the British in the hopes of gaining their independence in a chaotic time. Unfortunately, the British suppressed these rebels down all the harder, not wanting to be distracted from the larger world war. De Rosa did his research and wrote
Amanda Kitten
It takes a while to get into this book. However, I hardly ever cry at books but this one had me crying by the end.
Katie
This is the true and amazing story of the Irish Rising of 1916. While I usually don't read much non-fiction I recently grew interested in the plight of the Irish people and my own heritage. I was both horrified and mesmerized by the stories of real people who gave their life for their beliefs. It also enlightened me to the religious politics that affect the small but beautiful country to this day. I recommend this book to anyone interested in Irish history.
Mo
It took me forever to read this book because of the amazing details. De Rosa has researched, at times almost painfully so, the history of the uprising. It was at first difficult to keep the "charachters" straight, but their stories were so compelling that I had to keep reading. I really learned a great deal about Irish history from this account. I'm giving myself an A+ for effort on this one!
Jenniferdavis
REALLY good - history book that reads like a novel - always a good thing. It was kind of slow going in the beginning but only because there were so many people involved and, since I didn't know who they were, I had trouble keeping them straight. Obviously, once it got going, that got easier. Super interesting, super exciting, super sad.
Ipswichblade
Well written book that reads like fiction but is the story of the Easter uprising in 1916 in Ireland and the immediate aftermath. Clearly not the cheeriest of subjects but an incredible read. Not quite five stars as I felt it could have been a hundred pages less and not lost the impact
C.A. Cunningham
This book was simply amazing. It read more like a novel than a non fiction book. Great characters, it made me want to go to Ireland. There was a lot of name dropping, so it was confusing at times. This book is truly unforgettable.
Mike
Great book. It epitomizes what Princess Leia said to General Tarkin "The more you squeeze the more systems will slip through your fingers. " To put it more bluntly the English suppressed the 1916 uprising but lost the war.
bill Holston
Sep 09, 2010 bill Holston rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of history
very readable account of the 1916 rising. Its readability comes from the use of imagined dialog by the author. It makes it more like very accurate historical fiction in my view. But very well done.
Jay
One of my favorite books. A great read for history types, Irish types or any other types. History with soul - amusing, profane, witty... I've read my copy at least five times now!
Elizabeth
Wonderful book about the 1916 uprising. Appreciative to how he seperated the rising into each day of the week. . . easier to keep things straight!
William Dearth
A must read for anyone of Irish ancestry. Very sad and tragic tale. I am returning to Ireland very soon and I plan to visit this area.
Jeff
This is what historical fiction is all about.. Making the story come alive.

What a farce the rising was. You feel the tragedy.

William Siracuse

Excellent read that had me emotional at times. If your interested in the subject matter deffinetly worth reading.
Patty
The paperback edition prints the pictures of the revolutionaries. Enjoying very much, will rate when finished.
Mindy
Um. It takes far more attention to read a history book than it does a fictional book. I never finished this one.
Lysergius
Stirring stuff. Makes a change from the usual easter story...
Brian
historical significance written in good story style.
Kathleen Jones
originally read May 1994; then June 2000; then March 2015
Tim Madigan
Apr 23, 2008 Tim Madigan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historians or non-fiction fans
Really awesome narrative non-fiction.
Tom
fascinating but very dry.
  • The IRA
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • The Green Flag, Vols 1-3
  • The Story of the Irish Race: A Popular History of Ireland
  • Ireland: A Terrible Beauty
Pope Patrick Vicars of Christ: The Dark Side of the Papacy Der Vatikan - Von Gott verlassen? Der Jesus Mythos The Bee and the Rose