Start by marking “The Nightmare Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Jack Skellington's got the blues. He's sick and tired of his hometown holiday, Halloween, and is longing for something new. But when his soul searching leads to his good-intentioned kidnapping of Santa, things start getting pretty hairy!
Published August 1st 2005 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nightmare Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightmare Before Christmas

Lisa
I've never loved the movie but I did think it was visually stunning and loved the idea of it. I think my major problem with the movie was the music; I just didn't love the music.

Anyway, I saw this in a secondhand store and decided to give it a go. It's officially my first manga. I knew it was supposed to be read backwards but I found it so weird. I got used to it after a while but it was strange.

The things I loved about the movie seem to have disappeared with the manga adaptation. Gone are the...more
Chibineko
I'm a huge NBC fan & I collect just about everything that is related to it that I can afford. When I discovered that there was a manga version of the movie, I was overjoyed & purchased it immediately. While I did enjoy the manga, I just didn't get the same rush from the book that I did with the movie. I can't quite put my finger on why (apart from the lack of music), since the book is a very faithful adaptation of the movie. Perhaps it's because the book is told more from Sally's POV tha...more
Jeremy Stephens
My daughter saw this on the shelf at the library and begged me to get it. We read this together over the course of a few days and even though she was amazed by it, I didn't think it really added much to the original story.
Syd
I am a huge fan of the Nightmare Before Christmas movie. I watched it countless times as a child and can recite alongside the movie still to this day. The art in this book was good, but it rang false to what the original was, as did the story. The basic bare bones of a story wasn't what made the movie good. It made it unique, but not necessarily good. It was in the little jokes, the music, and the characters. This book takes the soul out of what the movie is. It sets up jokes but never follows t...more
Céline Quenu
J'aurais du me douter, que lire "L'Etrange Noël de Monsieur Jack" en manga était une erreur.

Graphismes bien en dessous de ce que le film nous a montré, univers pâlement représenté. Ce manga n'est qu'une succession d'images, suivant à la lettre le déroulement du film. Sauf qu'à l'écrit, en manga, ça ne le fait pas. L'univers n'y est pas, la chose se lit en à peine 30 minutes.

A la rigueur, c'est utile si on a pas vu le film depuis longtemps, et qu'on a envie de se le remémorer rapidement.
Sarah Churchill
As a HUGE fan of the movie, I was beyond excited to discover there was a manga adaptation, and ordered a copy on the spot. While reading I was singing along in my head with the songs from the movie, and hearing the characters voices. That's inevitable when reading a written/visual representation of a musical, but also the book itself didn't hold it on it's own. It stayed true to the plot of the movie, boiled down to it's most basic plot points, but without the music and songs, and especially col...more
Bex
Jan 02, 2011 Bex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Bex by: Jimmy
Shelves: reviewed
Not gonna lie I adored this, I got it for my birthday from my best friend and only just got round to giving it more than a cursory glance. The drawing is very true to the film and the actual speech is close enough without being horiffically coppied (although I will admit I did keep thinking I'd read what was in the film when I wasn't, yeah I'm that much of a geek). I'm probably going to get one of the illustrations from this as a tattoo because they're so good & I've still not found a still...more
Beau Johnston
This is a must for die-hard fan of the movie. The book remained true to the story, but I missed the songs.
Aimee Brown
Slightly different to the movie which I adore, but it was okay.
Miguel
One of my favorites history/poem
Sam
A faithful re-working of Burton's masterpiece movie following Jack Skeleton, Sally and the other residents of Halloween Town as they atempt to make Christmas with not so pleasant consequences. The language and illustrations follow the film closely (don't think it could have been done any other way really) and the detail is superb. Basically if you like the film you'll like this book and if you love the film you'll love this book. A great way to lose yourself in Halloween Town if you haven't the...more
Jeri
I liked it but I think it would've been better in color. Pretty much a condensed version of the movie.
Icats
One of my all time favorite movies is Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas. Unfortunately this is one of those rare cases where I feel the movie is much better than the book. For me the storyline in the book was choppy and did not flow well from one scene to another. I did not think the book in its Manga style was able to capture the essence of the story...or maybe I just missed the Oogie Boogie man singing.
Maria
This was my first manga book ever and by the looks of it i don't think im going to read another one. I found it confusing to read and yeah i know its probably a matter of getting used to. Eventhough i love the animated movie this was a bit boring, not quite as live so to speak. Therefor only 2 stars
Apryl Lowe
Beautiful book/manga that I bought and read with my son who is obsessed with The Nightmare Before Christmas. We had a great time reading the manga, looking at each illustrated panel very carefully and then watched the movie to sing along to the songs.
ArdnAskelA
HAPPY HALLOWEEN ! quand vous le voulez ;)
Sympa comme idée cette version manga, comme ça je peux revoir (enfin plutôt relire là) quand je veux et sans avoir besoin d'aller allumer ma télévision pour mettre la cassette vidéo en route.
Kadri
It's very hard to judge this as a stand-alone book, what with having seen the film so many times, so I won't even try. It made all the songs from the film play in my head, which is always nice. Three stars just for that.
Jirka Ludvar
Tak tady není co řešit, Nightmare before Christmas je můj velmi oblíbený film. Při čtení mangy mi u jednotlivých scén hrály v hlavě písničky z filmu, vše se drží předlohy i stylu filmu.
Therésa (Tessans Bokblogg)
The Nightmare before Christmas som manga? Behöver inte säga mycket mer än att det är fantastiskt bra. Och snyggt. Vill tapetsera hela min lägenhet med denna manga.
Ginger
If you've seen the movie, it's nothing new. But the artwork is good. It's a bit of a stretch to call it "manga" though.
Mckinley
Ok - sad that it's black and white. Based on the movie. And I'd suggest the movie over the comic.
Zoe
Jack Skellington is awesome!
Yahaira
Yahaira marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
  • البجعات المتوحشات
  • عقلة الأصبع
  • Youko x Boku SS (Youko x Boku SS, #2)
  • Last Quarter (Last Quarter, #1)
  • أطفال الغابة
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 08
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Doubt, Vol. 4
  • The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
  • Are You Alice? 1巻
  • We Were There, Vol. 6
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Volume 2
  • Vampire Knight, Vol. 14 (Vampire Knight, #14)
  • Spirited Away, Vol. 3