Start by marking “I Used to Know That (Stuff You Forgot from School)” as Want to Read:
I Used to Know That (Stuff You Forgot from School)

I Used to Know That (I Used to Know That)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  764 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Facts from School You Forgot to Remember....

Take an entertaining trip back to the classroom with I Used to Know That. Witty, engaging, and fun, this little book will appeal to the student in each of us. A one-of-a-kind collection of hundreds of facts learned long ago, it includes:

Our Changing World: Test you knowledge of the latest geography.

Prose and Poetry: From Shakespe
Published March 5th 2009 by Readers Digest (first published May 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Used to Know That, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Used to Know That

Meg ♥
Jan 07, 2012 Meg ♥ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who is really bored.
Shelves: z-2012-reads, e-books
This was the "Free Book Friday" selection this week for the Nook, and the blog I found it on marked it with the tagline New Year, Smarter You. Do I think this book makes you smarter? Not really. It is still an interesting and very quick read, anyway.

It started off with English, and I skimmed that. English was the only thing in school I actually did like and remember. For those who are interested it was just a quick rundown of sentence structure and famous authors.

Then came the math section. Admi
Eastofoz
Nov 20, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Reference book lovers who like a fun read
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Kathrynn M.
Shelves: dictionaries-ref
An unexpected surprise for this book with a very à propos title. How many times have you tried to remember the answer to say a geography question and you thought to yourself in frustration: I used to know that!! I thought it’d be a bit dryish but far from it. This is the kind of book you want on your shelf if you’re one of those people who likes to look up fast facts that you “may” have forgotten from those bygone school days, but you never seem to have gotten around to getting it. Sure you can ...more
Kathryn
This book was a Free Fridays selection on the Nook a while back. It's a collection of various facts that the author believes you have forgotten from school. It's not bad as a shallow survey of general knowledge.

The author does get a few things wrong, though. For example, when talking about temperature measurements, she says incorrectly that Kelvin is a relative scale like Celsius and Fahrenheit. This is not true. A kelvin is a unit; it's one of the seven base SI units and is defined as the fract
stormhawk
Jul 25, 2012 stormhawk rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stormhawk by: Mollyjr
Cute collection of assorted factoids that should have been part of one's education. Perfect book to leave in the "executive reading room" for those contemplative moments.
Salymar
Intellectually done! :3
I actually enjoyed the history section of this book ;)
Tammy
How many times did you learn something for school just to pass a test? After the test was over so was the knowledge of that subject. In this book you'll be reminded of all the "stuff" you forgot. All the basic subjects of English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies are covered in this book.

Who was Booker T. Washington? How do you find the mode of a set of values? What exactly happens during the Carbon cycle? What were the Napoleonic Wars about? What are the three
Corinne
What a snappy little book! It's divided into sections, as if I was still in high school and had to walk from one class to another: English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography and General Studies. Some sections I read with relish from beginning to end (English and Literature) some I read part/skimmed part (Math and Science) and the others I happened to read aloud to my husband in the car. The history section was so interesting and the topics (mostly conflicts) were condensed in such a ...more
Norm Davis
Jan 09, 2012 Norm Davis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who forgot something they already know.
Recommended to Norm by: Featured as a free nook book.
If you have no basic education or for whatever reason you managed to skip that effort society pressed on you back then, then this is a good book to study. I wouldn't really call it reading. It touches on those things which we have forgotten as we rarely or never really needed to know them. Degrees Kelvin? I'm sure there's a place for it and it is very handy for some folks but me... I've only heard it mentioned in relation to the Sun or other astronomical discussions. So telling you this is a bet ...more
Reader's Paradise
Headline: I Forgot to Remember this

When Borders was going out of business that was an opportunity for this book collector and avid reader to buy books I would otherwise pass up. I Used to Know That Stuff was one of those books, and I am very glad I didn't leave it on the shelf; my only regret is that I didn't buy more copies.

This handy little book takes the reader back to the classroom and reinforces equations and rules learned while in school, such as I before e except after c. The book is divi
Sarah-Anne
Apr 23, 2012 Sarah-Anne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-nonfiction
If you've forgotten the capital city of Chile; the basics of osmosis; how to solve a quadratic equation; the names of the Bennet sisters in Pride and Prejudice; who wrote the famous poem about daffodils; the use of a conjunction or the number of continents in the world, I Used to Know That will provide all the answers.

A light-hearted and informative reminder of all the things that we learned in school but have since become relegated to the backs of our minds. I Used to Know That features hundre
Timothy
I really thought I'd like this book. It seemed like it was going to be a very funny, geeky book of trivia and anecdote, that'd take me back to those obscure things that you learn in childhood. But it's more just a book of very remedial learning (Taggart spends far too long explaining basic arithmetic) and long, pointless lists. There were some redeeming parts such as the discussion of language and literature but otherwise, I was quite disappointed.
Beth F.
She’s right. I had a lot of “oh yeah, I knew that…er, used to know that” moments while reading this. Most of the information was an interesting refresher although I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I nodded off twice while reading the mathematics section during my bus ride home from work! Now, whether that was because the subject matter was uninteresting for me or because it was the end of a day that had begun with a poor night’s sleep (darn kids), I couldn’t say, but I suspect it was a combina ...more
Kathrynn
Jan 11, 2010 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Another winner from Caroline Taggart! I tell ya, these have become an auto-buy for me. They are so easy to read, well laid-out, funny and I have a lot of ah-ha moments when reading them.

I Used to Know That was no exception. There are brief sections on: English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies. Some of the information within these pages is almost verbatim from other books written by Caroline Taggart, but I didn't mind. Good stuff!

All the United States Presidents
Amy
Interesting book that was a free download. My favorite part was about famous authors, the blurb about each book. I now have some classic books that I read in high school (and didn't enjoy) that I am looking forward to reading again. The book does have a lot of useful information, but not a lot I needed.
Rat
As it happens, I still know a lot of the stuff I'm supposed to have forgotten.. (also, as someone who still considers himself physics-minded, felt slightly alienated by the mildly snarky parenthesised comments in the "physics" section (I know, right? Boffins, eh?))
Ashley
This book was so much fun. I found it on bargain and I'm glad that I grabbed it. Lots of stuff within these pages that I had once learned and enjoyed looking through to refresh my memory. I think I'll try to get the other books in this series.
Alicia
A fun way to appall yourself by learning just how you've forgotten. I did have skip the math section, as I was reading this in the tub, & did not want to risk falling asleep & subjecting my Kindle to accidental death by drowning.
Reagan Urbanec
This book was a fun, relaxing, educational, one of a kind read. It was extremely interesting reading all of the bits and pieces of random knowledge; I felt proud after realizing I knew a lot in the English and Literature sections, but I was bit embarrassed that I knew little more.

It was fun rediscovering the knowledge that I had forgotten; reading this book was a practical and effective way of learning. I realized that much of what was covered (at least in the English and Literature sections) ar
Linda B
I Used to Know That is a fun and interesting book with many tidbits of information that can be used for a quick reference guide or to brush up a little on the major subjects of Math, Literature, English, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies.

Authors of classic literature, fractions, geometry, algebra, the skeletal system, periodic table, U.S. presidents, countries and their capitals, and planets are just a few of the topics covered in this jammed packed little book.

This is an entert
David Ward
I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot From School by Caroline Taggart (Reader's Digest Trade Publishing 2009)(nonfiction) is a summary of all of the stuff you learned in high school and college but have since forgotten. Broken down into sections on English, literature, math, science, history, geography, and general studies, it's like a practical review for the SAT. My rating: 7/10, finished 1/13/14.
Andd Becker
Update your knowledge base with this informative book on English, literature, math, science, history, geography, and general studies.
Rachel England-Brassy
For those of us whom like to learn whilst in the littlest room - this is a perfect dip in/out book to keep at hand :)
Kyle
This is a good reference book or just a fun read. It made me remember all the stuff I learned from school, and all the good times I had learning new things back in the day. A good read for anybody who wants a refresher course on their high schoo/college educations, or for anyone who just wants to learn or relearn some interesting facts. I liked the different chapters, and read the book several times. Cleverly and brilliantly written, this book is sure to keep your attention whether you're intere ...more
Keely Lynn MidwinterGraces
Definitely a quick read. It's a collection of all the facts and such that you used to know in your school days, but have forgotten over the years. I loved the history and geography sections, and couldn't believe I once knew the data contained in the Math chapter. I know I did, it seems vaguely familiar, but well, I just haven't used it. Huh, I guess I was right when I told my algebra teacher that I was never going to use this stuff in real life!

I'd definitely recommend this book for anyone look
Helene Harrison
ISBN? – 9781843176558

General Subject/s? – History / Geography / English / Mathematics / Education / Language / Literature / Science / General Studies

Title? – General information that you learnt at school but probably forgot.

General Analysis? – Lots of interesting information on different subjects that either you did know and forgot, or never knew at all. Information on English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Science, History and Geography.

Recommend? - Yes, a useful compendium of infor
Carleen
Oh all the things I've forgot. A good book to read if you want a review of things that you might not have learned in school but have overheard somewhere. Here are some examples: What are dipthongs and metonymies? Which Bronte sister wrote The Tenant of Wildfell Hall? What four parts is the digestive system made of? What masterpiece did Sandro Botticelli create? This book covers the subjects of English, Literature, Math, Science, History, Geography, and General Studies. Great to browse through as ...more
Sofia
There were definitely parts of this where I really did say to myself, "Hey, I used to know that stuff!" See the sections on math and chemistry, in particular. But there were some notable editing oversights that forced me to lower the rating from three to two stars. Namely, referring to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock as The Love Song of J. Arthur Prufrock, as well as using the word "appropro" in lieu of "apropos." This is supposed to be a book about re-edification. Such errors are unforgivab ...more
Jan 27, 2012 Jennifer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this book. I guess it amuses me that some one else remembers totally useless information, but can't seem to remember why it was important when they grew up. Although, I must say I hope that she arrives to the same conclusion that I have, that there is some relevance to the stuff they stuff down our throats as children. So if any one out there is like me and knows a lot about things that no one cares about, I highly recommend this book, even though I am not finished with it.
Stella
What a great collection of ... "stuff"... we all learned in school and have probably forgotten by now.
I downloaded this free on my Kindle a while back andjust got around to reading it. It contains chapters on English, Literature, Math, Biology, General Science, etc. with all the basics.
I think I will order this one in paperback and keep it on my coffee table so I can leaf through it every now and then - it is good to be reminded of what we used to know.
Recommeded.
Freda mans
This is a fantastic little book! Everything in it is something you learn in school, but often as adults we forget. It was nice to read through and refresh my mind with this useful information.
It has every thing from presidents and prime ministers, to royalty and their reign. From every war to every turning point in history. Plus a lot of other useful things too.
A great gift for students who need a bit of help in history, or for an adult who loves it.
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • The Trivia Lover's Guide to the World: Geography for the Lost and Found
  • From the Ashes
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • The Hunt
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • I Before E (Except After C): Old School Ways To Remember Stuff
  • Needle in a Haystack
  • Stupid History: Tales of Stupidity, Strangeness, and Mythconceptions Throughout the Ages
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • 1936... On the Continent
  • The Normans: From Raiders to Kings
  • Meet the Annas: A Musical Novel
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Skipped Parts (GroVont Trilogy, #1)
  • Absolutely Organize Your Family: Simple Solutions to Control Clutter, Schedules and Spaces
I was an editor for 30 years before Michael O’Mara Books asked me to write what became I Used to Know That. I think its success took everyone by surprise – it certainly did me –but it led to my writing a lot of other books and finally, after about three years, feeling able to tell people I was an author. It's a nice feeling.

Until recently the book I was most proud of was The Book of London Place
More about Caroline Taggart...

I Used to Know That (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • I Used to Know That: History
  • I Used to Know That: Literature: Stuff You Forgot From School
  • I Used to Know That: Civil War: stuff you forgot from school
  • I Used to Know That: Shakespeare: stuff you forgot from school
  • I Used to Know That: Philosophy: Stuff You Forgot From School
  • Blackboard Books Boxed Set: I Used to Know That, My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me, and I Before E (Except After C)
My Grammar and I... Or Should That Be Me?: How to Speak and Write It Right A Classical Education: The Stuff You Wish You'd Been Taught in School The Classics: All You Need to Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome An Apple A Day (Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Work) Her Ladyship's Guide to the Queen's English