State of the Union: Fifty Political Poems

State of the Union: Fifty Political Poems

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  7 reviews
From rough optimism to sharp criticism, fifty American poets present new work dissecting the current political climate in America. Wide-ranging writers bring their bold voices to this collection, including Eileen Myles, Matthew Rohrer, Rebecca Wolff, Terrance Hayes, Joe Wenderoth, and Tao Lin.

“Walking by Hope Street”

Look at the landscape,
A lot of damage, no?
But we are here...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Wave Books

To ask other readers questions about State of the Union, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about State of the Union

CA
Sep 08, 2008 CA rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Here's a HANDSOME book! Just in time for the three-legged race to the White House, now that the candidates have their back-up singers, and the burlap bags are paid in full.

But I will only vote for the gayest candidate, so, I know EXACTLY who I'm voting for, as you can imagine!

Gay sex WILL save the world, I PROMISE! I'm working on it!

But I do wish Eileen Myles was running for president again this year. Yeah I know Jimmy Carter is a poet, and I LOVE Jimmy (the gayest of them all!), but Eileen had...more
Cynthia Manick
There was some interesting poems in this collection. The poems range from serious to the lighthearted, so its worth a read. I do have to give a special mention to C.A. Conrad's poem, "Dear Mr. President There Was An Eggshell Under Your Desk Last Night In My Dream." Everyone should read it.
Edward Moore
Good collection. Especially likes "The War of Wars" by Wanda Coleman, "Dove" by Caroline Knox, and "A Citizen" by Don Bogen. The latter has an excellent historical view of America today. Not an uplifting book, really, but it presents a fine variety of pets.
Daniela
My favorite poets writing my favorite kind(s) of poems. And...nothing special happened. Maybe it's my fault; maybe my expectations were too high. To quote from Dan Chelotti's contribution to the book, "Why aren't you the bomb/that I want you to be?"
Steven
I will have a review of this book forthcoming on Galatea Resurrects so I'll post the link once it's up.
Tyler
Exactly what it is
David Long
David Long marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Starseater
Starseater marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Ines
Ines marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Breann
Breann marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Alice Sundog
Alice Sundog marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Piper
Piper marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Nezikblog
Nezikblog marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Mao-mi
Mao-mi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
LeeAnn S
LeeAnn S marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Emma Stevenson
Emma Stevenson marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Jayde
Jayde marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Gabby
Gabby marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Joshua Beckman was born in New Haven, Connecticut. He is the author of six books, including Take It (Wave Books, 2009), Shake and two collaborations with Matthew Rohrer: Nice Hat. Thanks. and Adventures While Preaching the Gospel of Beauty. He is an editor at Wave Books and has translated numerous works of poetry and prose, including Poker by Tomaz Salamun, which was a finalist for the PEN America...more
More about Joshua Beckman...
Shake Nice Hat. Thanks. Your Time Has Come Things Are Happening Something I Expected to Be Different