Start by marking “Fifth Seal” as Want to Read:
Fifth Seal

Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  723 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The little town of Nazareth is a long way from Jerusalem and King Herod's evil clutches. Yet is anywhere in Judea far enough? In their most dramatic, ambitious, and significant historical series to date, Bodie and Brock Thoene once again transport readers back in time to first century A.D. to the birth of Christ--the most critical events in the history of the world.
Published April 12th 2007 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fifth Seal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifth Seal

Sheila
Loved it. I really enjoyed this one. There were some parts that made me cry. I actually teared up when baby Yeshua was born. I am looking forward to the next one. However, I know my history and I know that the next book will be about Herod and his orders to kill all the boys under the age of two. Not really looking forward to that part, but will read the book. This is a great series. I have laughed, smiled, thought, and cried through all of them. They are GREAT books. Thank you so much to my fri ...more
Dyana
This is the fifth in the series and continues the flashback of the previous book. It occurs during the time of Mary's pregnancy and culminates in Jesus's birth. In this historical fiction we get a glimpse into what Mary and Joseph might have been thinking and feeling. It is far too soon for Mary to be showing after their recent marriage and the townspeople are shunning her along with their vicious gossip. Mary and Joseph cannot reveal the truth of her conception, and Joseph vows to protect her a ...more
Anne
It took quite a while for me to finish this installment. Was that perhaps because the story is so well-known? Was it because I couldn't get scenes from THE NATIVITY out of my head? Actually I think it was the star-gazing and visits from Joseph the Dreamer. Just wasn't as riveting as the stories in the first three books. I am moving on to THE SIXTH COVENANT
Evan
The first book of this series was definately the best. after that... they are still good but then seem to go downhill. this one is very slow, so i never really got into it. a little bit of a let down after the brilliance of the first 3, but i still think that the Thoene's are amazing authors.
Meadow
Best series ever
Amanda
"Here he comes! Such shoulders. He'll carry his father's beams, I warrant. A strong one he'll be. Push! No wonder you had such a hard time. There you go, Mary! Look at those big hands. Must be a boy with such hands. They're wide-open. See? He's reaching out to the world. Once more - yes, that's it! Now push. Harder. One more time! And...there! Yes! A son, Mary! A baby boy!"

You know what blows my mind? Jesus' birth. I hadn't really ever thought about the details surrounding the entire ordeal unti
Mark Baker
Mary and Joseph deal with the fallout of getting married despite the fact that Mary is pregnant. However, with the political forces in play, what danger might they face. This was a slow moving book. The fictional characters were interesting, but it wasn't enough to save the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Elizabeth
This ends with the birth of Jesus and I had tears in my eyes. These are powerful authors.

I learned that Israel is symbolized by the constellation, Pisces, fish. They call it The Two Fish. In Hebrew the exact words are; "May they increase abundantly like fish" Within the constellation are 2 stars, 2 fish, that symbolize the blessing of Israel. The first represents Mannasseh, the elder brother, the physical descendants of the seed of Abraham. The second for Ephraim, the younger, the Gentiles, who
Denyse Taylor
I really enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to the next one in the series.
The way the authors give background to the story from history is great and to realize that Mary and Joseph were ordinary people who God chose to use wonderfully and amazingly at that time.
Michael
What a joy was this book was to read. The Promised Messiah comes alive.
Sarah Bfrown
This was the least of all of their books. I had to make myself finish it. They had too much "teaching" in it and not enough story. The characters were not deep and parts of the story seemed contrived. It was based on a true Bible story. They should have just left the story the way God wrote it and not tried to glorify Mary and mystify everything. Most of their other books are excellent.
Amanda
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given." This book tells what it really might have been like for Mary, Joseph, their families, the shepherds and their families at that time. It makes it seem more real, much less of a fairy tale, to remind us that they were all real people. Praise God for sending us His Son! We need to remember the miracle of Christmas all year long.
Elizabeth B.
During Christmas break 2009, I am rereading these books. While there may be some minor points of historical or doctrinal disagreement, the Thoenes are very successful in animating the events told in the Gospels and enhancing them with some very impressive Torah scholarship as well. These books have made an invaluable contribution to my understanding of the Bible epic.
Jeni Enjaian
I thought for sure that I'd already written this review. Guess I hadn't. The latter books in the series are so short that I'm finishing them more quickly than I can get the reviews out making my ability to review that specific book difficult. Instead of racking my brain to review this specific book, I'm going to refer to my reviews of the other books in this series.
Karen
What can I say - it was great. Love the authenticity and the storylines in the Thoenes' books. The story of Yeshua's birth was well-told (rather convenient about the midwife...), but tied all the elements together nicely. I did feel that the "signs in the heavens" sections stretched on a bit, but I still very much enjoyed the story.
Monica
This book covers the point up to Jesus' birth. It's interesting to read, once again, what could have happened to Joseph and Mary during this time. Also I love the historical aspects and how much the Bible truly pointed to the Messiah's birth.
The Thoenes are successful in bringing to life the events of the New Testament. I don't agree with many of their interpretations of doctrine--in this book, particularly about Eve--but they have created an enjoyable and thoughtful read.
Kw
I appreciate the research and prayer that must have gone into the writing of these books. They are great narratives, interesting and imaginative while being incredibly informative. So thankful to be privileged to read them!
Joy
Giving a picture of the strength, love, and innocence of Mary and the trusting spirit and faith of Joseph, this book makes Jesus' earthly parents seem more real. I applaud the Thoene's on this brilliant piece of prose.
Michelle
I'm really enjoying this series. The writers have great insight into the life and teachings of Christ as seen through the prism of Jewish thought and culture of the time. Great writing style.
Nancy
Fifth Seal puts flesh on all those involved in the birth of Christ. The reader meets Mary's mom, Joseph, the shepherds, Mary and her midwife. It makes the humble beginnings of our Savior very real.
Chrissy
This 5th book of the series I was actually a little disappointed. It was shorter than the others and ends at a really awkward place such that there should be two or three more chapters at least.
Sheri
This is the fifth in a series about the life of Christ and I loved the first 4 and I'm sure to love the next 4. I'm not sure how many are in the series of the AD Chronicles.
Brooke
Beautiful and informative account of Christ's birth. Really provided historical context. Not as exciting as other books in this series, but beautiful all the same.
Deon Engelbrecht
Another great book. I especially loved the explanation of the signs that were seen in the heavens announcing Jesus's birth and their significance to the jews.
Rhonda Martin
This is a good retelling of events that led up to the birth of Christ, but was not as engaging and exciting as previous books in this series.
Tammy
I'm not sure about the birth scene...not sure whether I like what the Thoene's wrote in here. Still a good story, though.
Wayne C Anderson
This "Chronicle" takes you through the birth of Jesus in the shepherding village of Bethlehem. Lots of fun to read.
Brian Willms
Continually amazed at the things i learn reading this series! I highly recommend it for a great history lesson!
Audrey
Oh! it was awesome! the birth of jesus! Christmas will never be the same for me. it will only be better!!
  • Dark Hour
  • While Mortals Sleep
  • Faith of My Fathers (Chronicles of the Kings, #4)
  • Riders of the Silver Rim (Saga of the Sierras, #2)
  • Passage Into Light (The Russians, #7)
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose #1)
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • The Last Sacrifice
  • The Reluctant Bridegroom: 1838 (The House of Winslow #7)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)