Start by marking “City Of Angels” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
City Of Angels
Tracie Peterson

City Of Angels (Shannon Saga #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A Compelling New Historical Series!
In the tradition of Cheney Duvall, M.D. comes a stunning heroine determined to break the mold of society and enter a career in law.
The combination of a legal drama and a fascinating era provides readers with a captivating and unique new series.
James' law expertise and Tracie's strong standing in the historical fiction market bring a speci
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about City Of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City Of Angels

Jeni Enjaian
I remember ardently loving this series back when I first read it. I was hesitant to pick it back up again (as part of my slog through my books to see which ones stay and which ones go) because I have become increasingly soured on Tracie Peterson. To put it simply, she is part of a large number of Christian authors whose work is full of fluff and nonsense. (aka trite "Biblical" wordings, plot lines and characters written very poorly)

James Scott Bell, however, is not one of those authors. His cont
Cherie Kasper
I have read several of Tracie's books and have enjoyed them all. I have to say that this book was a special surprise to read. The story included some well known figures of that period, people we all know, and introduced us to a special attorney that I had never heard of, but was really glad to discover that I liked him a lot
Kathleen (Kit for short) Shannon looses both her mother and father by age 13 and grew up at St. Catherine's school. Kit was already an avid reader, especially law books, by t
I truly do love to read about the women in history who defeated the odds. Women who went against rules of what society said they could or couldn't achieve. I admire their perseverance to march forward to achieve their God given dreams in order to pave the way for women today.

This book was so good that I read it in one night! Sometimes it seems very hard for a book to keep my attention but this book really captivated me from the first page!

The book is about a woman named Kit Shannon who at 13 yea
When I started reading this book, I didn't realize that I'd read it 15-20 years ago. But, I remembered more and more of it as I went on. Way back then, I read a lot of Christian fiction/romance books. Tracie Peterson was one of my favorite authors. But, I guess I'm in a different place in my life as I didn't enjoy it as much this time. Or, it could also be the fact that I don't really like re-reading most books.

The book tells the story of Kit Shannon in the year 1903. She has just moved to Cali
Has everything a good book needs. I usually read inspirational historical romance but this historical suspense kept me flipping pages. What a great find.

One of the most overtly Christian books I've read in a while in the sense of amount of scripture quoted and "witnessing" done by a character. It was quit refreshing. I mean, if I'm going to be spending hours reading something, I want it to cause me to think on Christ as that is what is important in my life.
I really enjoyed this book. It had no romance in it other than a hint here and there. It had a great mystery and a great story of a girl who makes her way against the odds. I would have like to know a bit more about her history as the story starts there and jumps way ahead. You do get bits and pieces, but I like a good rounded out story. But it is a minor thing. Maybe later in the series it tells more. There are at least 5 more books!! I look forward to reading them all at some point. This is a ...more
Frances Winslow
I enjoyed it. It's the beginning of a series but can be read and enjoyed on it's own merits.

A young woman moves to LA to begin a law practice at a time when it was unheard of for a woman to be taken seriously in a court of Law. Kit(Katherine Shannon) not only makes the grade as an attorney but wins a most important criminal case and becomes an instant sensation.

Kind of an adult fairy tale.....for those of us who enjoy fairy tales...good overcoming evil...A beautiful princess overcomes the wicke
City of Angels is a light but entertaining Christian novel set in Los Angeles in the early 1900s. Some historical fiction stories transport you back in time while others use history as a setting. I would put this book in the latter category in that it does evoke a sense of the time period in which the story is set but it doesn't have that immersive feel that breathes life into historical times and places.

The story centers on Kathleen "Kit" Shannon, a young woman who comes to live with her wealth
Dianne Sidebottom
First of all I want to thank God for the women in the past who have been the frontier of which women today are so blessed. Lots of research here but an interesting story that includes Darwinism n Jekell n Hyde what influence they had on peoples thinking. Circumstances that influenced many n judgment of society. How secrets kept is a poison that hurts many n needs to exposed. Corruption is still with us but it's needs to be addressed. God's Justice.
Growing up, I was incredibly drawn to this book. My grandmother gave it to me for Christmas one year; I think the goal was to make me see the importance of religion in Kit Shannon's life. What I saw instead was a determined woman who wouldn't let men pull any fast ones, fell in love with the oddball, and didn't give a fart what society thought. That's who Kit is, really. I was also intrigued by the darker passages written from the perspective of a mentally deranged killer. This was my first look ...more
This book was sitting on my shelf for much too long before I picked it up. I regret that I didn't do so sooner. It was a very quick and interesting read, and left me wanting more. I was pleased to see there are sequels and will be picking them up.

Ms. Shannon's character is the most clearly defined, as is to be expected as the book is told from her POV. I didn't find anything particularly inconsistent with the time period, but the book didn't feel like a history lesson - the language is clear and
Pamela Barrett
Another great read, I picked this one up over a year ago and just got around to reading it, sorry I waited so long. Kit Shannon wants to be a lawyer, but in the early 1900’s that’s near impossible. Leaving New York, she is going to live with her aunt in Los Angeles California which is still more cowboy than high society; just don’t ask her aunt about that because she is determined to make Kit the Belle of Los Angeles; all she needs to do is talk her out of this embarrassing idea of practicing la ...more
My first time reading a book by Tracie Peterson and James Scott Bell. Book has intrigue and suspense and they are good Christian writers.

Great insight into the Courts at the turn of the 20th century. Looking forward to reading the others in the saga.
I enjoyed reading about a strong woman aspiring to become a lawyer in a time when woman didn't do such things. The faith element and mystery added to the enjoyment.
Jun 12, 2014 Delta marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delta by:
Free 06-12-14 (Clean Historic Romance)
Nicole Bickerstaff
Wonderful story! Absolutely love Tracie Peterson~ thank you for sharing your gift!
Awesome! I thought I knew the answer but I did not. I loved it!
I really enjoyed City of Angels! For me, books by Tracie Peterson are either a hit or miss, and this was definitely a hit! I'm fascinated by trial lawyers, I love historical fiction, and I enjoy books about women doing 'men's work', so this book was perfect!

I was a bit disappointed with the ending. The plot had the ability to make the book have a shocking ending, but unfortunately it was still predictable to some degree. Despite that, I'd definitely recommend this book and I can't wait to read
Taty Díaz
If you've read a short novella where the odds are always against the main character and there are several male suitors falling at her feet, then you don't need to read this one. It is super slow, the main character is so bland for greatest portion of the story. The best part of this book was the ending, not only because it was over but because it was quite unexpected to figure out who was the murderer. I wouldn't recommend unless you have a lot of spare time and you are reading several books at ...more
As usual books by James Scott Bell are hard to put down once started. The two authors intertwine their talents to engage the reader in a story of suspense, love, and the truth. The characters are well developed, and those that aren't, are not key to the story. History is included throughout the book and adds to its charm. I highly recommend this reading and discovering the backbone of a woman who against all odds attains her goal yet trusts her God to do his part.
I loved these books (the whole series!) so much that I am going to the library to pick it up again. I remember looking for them to buy and I don't remember why I didn't. I love a story about a girl who makes a difference and stands up against society for a good cause. She's braver than I am. I also enjoy the mystery of each case. The first book I give 5 stars, the others 4.
I love the historical parts of the book. It takes place in the early 1900's about a gal who studied law - in a mans world. She had a strong belief in God and based many of her decisions on scripture from the Bible and her faith in what was right. I applaud anyone who will stand up for their belief in God and Christ.
This is a nice, easy read...clean story about a young, orphaned lady who traveled from New York to Los Angeles, California to stay with her outcast grand aunt and she had the dream of practicing law...which was unheard of at the turn of the century (1900's)....We've come a long way, baby!
I would describe this book as "LIGHT", legal, romantic, historical Christian fiction. I plan on reading the rest of the titles in this series by Tracie Peterson and/or James Scott Bell despite the "light" and conservative Biblical aspects because I enjoy the other components.
Amy Holcomb
One of my favorite books! Kit Shannon is such a great person for young girls to look up too. She stands firm in her ideas and beliefs and doesn't let anyone or anything stand in her way. "With God All Things Are Possible". Even a female criminal trail lawyer in the early 1900s.
I love the turn of the century novels that have young women trying new things...Kit is 23 and trained in the law and one of the first women in California to become an attorney. Easy read and easy to fall into.
I wasn't sure if I'd like this book when it first started off, but it got better and better until the end when I didn't want it to end! I will be sure to look out for the next book in the Shannon Saga.
This was a fun read especially for girls. I love the strength that Shannon has and her confidence in who she is and what she wants to become. I loved the mystery as well. I can't wait to read the others.
Kristi Smith
This book is historical christian fiction. It is about a young woman trying to become a lawyer in early 1900's California. I loved, loved, loved this book! It kept my attention from start to finish.
  • A Certain Truth (The Trials of Kit Shannon #6)
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • A Bride for a Bit
  • Secret Place of Thunder: (Cheney Duvall, M.D. #5)
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • A Conspiracy of Ravens (Lady Trent Mysteries #2)
  • The Rose Legacy (Diamond of the Rockies, #1)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • Ten Thousand Charms (Crossroads of Grace #1)
  • Sing (The Homeward Trilogy, #2)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Shannon Saga (3 books)
  • Angels Flight (Shannon Saga #2)
  • Angel of Mercy (Shannon Saga #3)
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)

“Fashion speaks for itself.” 1 likes
“If God tells you to do something, you do it. If God tells you to go, you go. Do those two things, and when you're finished in this life, your soul will be in heaven before the devil knows you're dead” 1 likes