Start by marking “Silent Star” as Want to Read:
Silent Star

Silent Star

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In the 1940s, the small Pennsylvania town of Haven is rather subdued with their young men facing battles in far-away Europe. Young Andy Gilbert, burdened with his job of delivering telegrams bringing the news of those missing or killed in action, faces the coming holidays with dread and discouragement. With each new message he must deliver- met by screaming mothers, grief- ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Silent Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Star

Lori Henrich
Apr 20, 2015 Lori Henrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy and his father were in an accident that gave Andy a limp and took his father's life. Andy had to leave school to get a job to help support this mother. Because of his injury Andy wasn't able to become a solider. Instead he took a job in the telegraph office. His main job was delivering telegrams to the local families. Most of the news he brought to his neighbors was not good and they began to blame Andy for his part in getting the news to them. At his lowest point he met Mrs. Nelson. They m ...more
Jim B
Dec 12, 2013 Jim B rated it it was ok
Although I think there will be Christians who enjoy this book and think of it as a variety of the Mitford series books, I felt that it lacked something that Mitford has. It's hard for me to define what was missing; the story contains compassion, faith, suffering and Christ.

I was ready to criticize the author for reducing Christian faith to "buckle down and do it" or positive thinking when suddenly the gospel was brought in, and not just in a "God loves you" way.

Anyway, an easy relaxing read --
Corrie
Jun 30, 2013 Corrie rated it really liked it
I really wanted to give this book a three and a half stars, but opted for the four stars. "Sometimes it hurts to believe." I had never really given much thought to the young men who had to deliver telegrams during WW11, but this book gives an idea of what it might have been like. It's a love story of a different kind with the struggle of faith when everything seems lost. "God works to help us eliminate the clutter. Not by taking away loved ones, but rather by showing us ways to rely more on Him ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 13, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
“So go the words of Estella, whose years have given her a wisdom she longs to share. But her insights give little reassurance to Andy, whose torment seems to obliterate any chance he has for happiness. With each day that passes, his responsibility with the telegram office have become a far heavier burden than mailbag he carries.

But over time this unlikely pair may be able to bring a tender gift to a town lost in its own sorrows.”

I enjoyed and was moved by this different kind of love story.

Disclo
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Quick little up beat read. The main character has a hard life and then worst of all he has to bring the band news from the military through telegrams back during the Nazi Germany invasion, bringing death as he called it upon his small town. It was a really quick read.
Paula  Phillips
Apr 30, 2010 Paula Phillips rated it liked it
Whenever I hear the word Silent Star it reminds me of that Christmas carol "Silent Night" probably because it contains the word Silent LOL. This book is set in the heart of World War 2 and is foucused around Andy a Telegram Deliverer , which in this case is unusual as most books don't really focus on main characters with mundane jobs like Delivery folk e,g how many books have you read that are about Milkman , Mailman or even a Pizza Delivery Boy. Andy has no-one and a job that sees him as A Grim ...more
Slumbering Rose
Barbara
Dec 12, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
I think I chose to read this novella because my family is military. Many times we dreaded the knock on the door or the telegram bringing bad news. This book could be quite a downer if you didn't read it in one sitting. It's a quick read, so I suggest you do so. It gives us a glimpse into life in the USA during WWII. The book brings a message of love and peace amidst hard times.
Ellen
Jul 25, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Silent Star is a tender tale that takes the reader to a small town in Pennsylvania during WWII. We see life through the eyes of Andy who is not overseas with his friends due to an unfortunate accident, but serving the war effort in the thankless job of telegram delivery boy. He is shunned by the entire town as akin to the Grim Reaper bringing the bad news of MIAs and KIAs to nearly every family in town. Andy just lost his dear mother to cancer and is hopeless and alone--until Estella comes along ...more
Melissa
Sep 19, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
4.5 stars--Andy shunned because he delivers telegrams about deaths during WWII. Touching.
Karina
Jul 22, 2014 Karina rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, Quick read, inspirational short story with a Christmas twist.
Kathy
Apr 16, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it
Kind of predictable, but a nice story with a happy ending.
Sara
Very different kind of WWII on the Homefront book.
Laurie
Apr 08, 2016 Laurie rated it really liked it
Touches your heart, a very good read.
Michelle
Love one another in Christ.
Sharon
Jul 24, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
This book like all other Tracie Peterson's I've read is wonderful. It brings into sharp focus how people in pain and misery can without really meaning to shift the blame for their misery to some other person who definitely doesn't deserve the blame at all and how when this happens too often it can take a devastating toll. May we all stop and think before we blame anyone else for anything. Why do we need to assign blame in the first place? Life is how you deal with things not who you can blame fo ...more
Fran
Dec 08, 2009 Fran rated it liked it
Having been orphaned, and injured in an automobile accident, Andy is unable to join his friends when called to serve in WW II. Because of the nature of his job as a telegram delivery boy, he became shunned by those who were once his friends, and his faith in God begins to waver. As the holidays approach he is befriended by a stranger who not only strengthens his faith, but that of the entire community. A short, inspirational holiday read of loss, rejection, restoration and redemption.
Theodore.d
Sep 22, 2011 Theodore.d rated it really liked it
This book personally was a good book. I would read a squeal if one came out within the next year or so. I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. It was very descriptive but jumped around a lot of the times. It very similar to some of the other books I have read. I choose this book because I like war books. I did a good job picking this book and I hope other books that I pick in the future are as good as this one.
Michelle
Jun 18, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
I listened to "Silent Star" on a trip home from Utah. It turns out to be a little Christmas story, which I always love.It is a touching story of a young boy who is not well enough to go to war but has the occupation of delivering telegrams of soldiers missing in action or killed. The people of the town begin avoid him and he is so lonely. A great story of the redeeming power of love and forgiveness.
Michele
Jan 07, 2009 Michele rated it it was amazing
quick read; touching story about a young man who delivers telegrams from the war dept. during WWII. He delivers the bad news of a soldier's death to their families and is treated as though he personally killed them. Sweet ending as an older lady reaches out to him and teaches the community about loving others.
Liza Verdon
Jul 06, 2013 Liza Verdon rated it did not like it
Shelves: freshman-year
This book was terrible. Terrible plot, story, ending, and terrible writing. I may not be a proficient writer myself, but I have read enough to know what good and bad writing is. This was awful. I really don't know why I read it to the end. I must have been REALLY desperate for a book to read.
Valerie L
Oct 13, 2011 Valerie L rated it liked it
This book was really a 3.7. A small town losing all their boys to war, and at the same time unknowingly killing some of their boys at home. This book opened up my eyes to how important it is to watch - be aware and think more of those around me. Great short read!
Jtreed06
Mar 29, 2010 Jtreed06 rated it really liked it
A touching quick read. It only took me a few hours one evening to read. It has a wonderful message also. We need to be aware of others around us. We may be unintentionally hurting others while trying to deal with our pain.
Dolores Ann
Dec 26, 2013 Dolores Ann rated it it was amazing
This is yet another excellent story by Tracie Peterson. I read it each Christmas Season it is a wonderful reminder of what we should do.
Denise
Very uplifting story, especially appropriate during the Christmas holiday season.
Stormie Walston
Dec 10, 2013 Stormie Walston rated it really liked it
Refreshing and inspiring little book. A good Christian fiction free of any offense.
Cindy Williams
Dec 08, 2012 Cindy Williams marked it as to-read
It is sad the way a person can be judged for the job they hold.
Jen Donnelly
Aug 26, 2012 Jen Donnelly rated it liked it
it's more 2.5 stars (i really wish we could do half stars on here!)
Karen
Aug 13, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
nice story, short read
Holly Nestegard
Dec 09, 2013 Holly Nestegard rated it it was amazing
very encouraging
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Courtship
  • Friday's Daughter
  • Kirsten's Promise (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • Unwrapping Christmas
  • A Heart for Home (Home to Blessing, #3)
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • The Deer in the Wood
  • A Girl After God's Own Heart
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • One More Sunrise
  • The Carousel Painter
  • Beloved Disciple: The Life & Ministry of John, Leader Guide
  • Molly's Puppy Tale
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • In Search of a Memory
  • Sarah's Song (Red Gloves, #3)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...