Start by marking “Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Coast Guardsman's Bible” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Coast Guardsman's Bible

Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Coast Guardsman's Bible

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,437 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
This handsome, easy-to-carry Bible is designed to meet the unique needs of those who serve the U.S. in exceedingly difficult situations.
Leather Bound, 1152 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Holman Bible Publishers (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Sheila
This is a re-read of The Holy Bible for me, so this review will be specifically about this Holman Christian Standard Bible translation, which I obtained for free on my kindle from Amazon.

I will admit that the language of this translation makes it easy to understand some of the more complicated verses of the Bible. The language is modern and contemporary. For someone who has never read the Bible before, this version might be a good way for them to be able to be introduced to the books contained
John
Jan 26, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The description below intrigues me and I will read the HCSB this year rather than the NIV or ESV as in years past.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB). The HCSB is a relatively new translation, published in 1999. It's a bit revolutionary because it attempts to bridge the gap between word-for-word translation and thought-for-thought. Basically, the translators mostly used word-for-word translations, but when the meaning of specific words wasn't immediately clear, they switched to a thought-for-
Yuska Vonita
Jan 04, 2016 Yuska Vonita is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm joining Reading the Bible as Literature challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader. I obtained this bible for free from Amazon. The language is easy to understand. Just finished reading Genesis. I'm going to get through Exodus for a couple of days.
Laurie
Oct 15, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
This Bible translation was free for my Nook, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find it accurate, conservative, easy to read and easy to navigate. I have not felt compelled to purchase any other Bible version for my own reading or for following along at church, although our congregation favors the NIV (1984) and our pastor favors the NASB.
Keith
Mar 26, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The rating is for the translation. The Bible itself is always a 5-star read.
Stephen N. Collins
My favorite translation for personal devotion.
Ethan
Nov 18, 2014 Ethan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles
The Old and New Testaments in a recent translation.

The HCSB does not want to be boxed into the categories of either "formal equivalence" (word-for-word, e.g. KJV, ASV, NASB, ESV, etc.) or "dynamic equivalence" (thought-for-thought, e.g. NIV, NLT, CEV). Instead they come up with a new category: "optimal equivalence," which they claim recognizes that form cannot be separated from meaning and thus is an attempt to make the best sense of both words and thought, but in practice seems to just mean tha
Jacob Aitken
Nov 22, 2013 Jacob Aitken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translations
The ranking applies to the translation and format, not to the Word of God.

Pros:
1. The HCSB is not as beautiful as the RSV/ESV, nor as literal as the NASB. Still, in communicating to those who do not know "church-ese" but not abandoning the text, it is very good. It is infinitely superior to the NIV in this regard.

2. The New Testament format does a nice job in setting apart and bold-facing Old Testament quotations. Oddly enough, they do not cite the references.

3. It's surprisingly well-bound. I
Todd Miles
I am not going to rank the Word of God - how can it be anything other than 5 stars. But I do want to make a few comments about the translation. Attempting to depart from the formal equivalent translation - dynamic equivalent translation continuum, the HCSB opts for what they call "optimal equivalence." As near as I can figure, if measured upon the preceding continuum, they will be inconsistent, sometimes being very formal and other times giving a dynamic translation. I wonder how helpful that is ...more
Dina (ReviewTime)
The Sportsman's Bible contains numerous devotions written for hunters and fishermen that connect the timeless principles of God's Word with the passion of millions of North American outdoors enthusiasts.

About the binding & cover
The cover of this Bible is Bonded Leather, with Mothwing(tm) fall camouflage. The bonded leather this Bible is made from feels more sturdily, and durable, then any bonded leather Bible I have held. The zipper & zipper slide are a very sturdily, which reminds me of
Russell Freeman
I enjoyed this version of the Bible. It seems to require a lower reading level than some of the other modern versions, and it also presents a different translation in places that shed new light on the text for me. Nonetheless, some of the idiosyncracies were grating for me (translation γλωσσαι as "languages" in 1 Corinthians 14). I am not yet willing to teach and preach out of it, but maybe I could be convinced with another run through.
Zack Melvin
Apr 07, 2012 Zack Melvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bible, of course, as the inerrant word of God, is the greatest book ever penned by man - it needs no review. You don't review the Bible - the Bible reviews you.

This format of the HCSB Bible, in my opinion the greatest English translation of the Bible currently in existence, is actually a great Bible for reading - though it's not recommended for study. It has a two-column format, as any other pew Bible does. It does not have footnotes, which can sometimes be distracting during a normal readi
Reepacheep
Oct 14, 2010 Reepacheep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read through all of the Biblical text, from Genesis to Revelation--that is to say, I haven't read through all of the publisher's notes, which include the following:

1) Subject Index
2) Plan of Salvation
3) Introduction to the Holman Christian Standard Bible
4) A Short History of the Bible: age, languages, and books (with a brief summary of each book

The two-column layout is very readable, although my wife prefers a single-column layout, which is available in a different edition (view at Amazon.com)
J.
Dec 31, 2015 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I downloaded this edition free on my Kindle and read it with a one-year Bible plan. It's the Bible, so of course it's gold. I admit that NKJV is probably still my favorite translation, but this one simplifies the language more, and seems more literal.
Carmen Leach
Jun 21, 2015 Carmen Leach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crystal Clear Reading

I chose a 5-star rating because of the ease of locating each book of the Bible. With just a slight touch you can move through the Word quickly.
bob clark
Nov 29, 2015 bob clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellence

This concordance is relevant, modern and easy to understand. I recommend this version of God's Word to anyone eager to read the Truth.
Daniel
Mar 03, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading the New Testament in this translation… it's definitely a helpful version to keep handy when studying. I think I generally prefer versions that have been around a little longer and had time to have some of their perhaps overly novel translations tested and revised if needed… there were a few spots where I had a hard time figuring out why the HCSB team chose the translation they did. But still, they follow their translation philosophy well, and it's a helpful addition to the Bible ...more
Jim Fox, Ed.D.
Dec 13, 2015 Jim Fox, Ed.D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
I bought this book to have this new translation of the Bible. This is an excellent translation into modern English.
Bill
Jan 01, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibles
This is my go to Bible. I "cut my theology teeth" on this Bible. I have used it to the point of falling apart.
Adam Townsend
Jan 20, 2016 Adam Townsend rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains the way of salvation. Praise God for providing His revelation to us.
Sandra
Aug 17, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Bible
Douglas Audirsch
I am reading this version of the Bible through this year. I simply read 5 chapters every day first thing in the morning while I drink my coffee. Some days are interrupted due to a fluctuating schedule, but I just pick up where I left off and keep on going on. I enjoy this version. It reminds me somewhat of the NIV in its modern, easy-to-read, tone. However, it has several distinctives. One of which is that it uses the word "Yahweh" for the name of God instead of the generic "Lord".
Shawn
Oct 17, 2013 Shawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant translation of the Scriptures for reading and devotional use. I would guess that it is written at approximately the same reading level as the more popular New International Version. Although it is a translation and not a paraphrase, I still prefer the more rigid word-for-word approach that the New American Standard Bible takes when I need a study Bible.
Lisa Morrow
Sep 04, 2015 Lisa Morrow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible
With the help of "A Woman's Guide to Reading the Bible in a Year," I finished the Bible in a little under a year! I'm so glad that I saw that my Goodreads friend and one of my favorite authors, Robin Lee Hatcher, was reading this "Bible reading guide," and I decided to put it on my "to-read" list and download it on my Kindle.
Jonathan
Nov 11, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the HCSB, I have been impressed. The translation bravely throws aside KJV translation errors in favor of a more accurate reading. Also having a background in Greek and Hebrew, I applaud the use of brackets throughout the NT denoting verses that were likely not original to the text.
Martine
This electronic version of the Bible wasn't easy for me to navigate. I would have enjoyed a much more user friendly setup. Nevertheless, it proved to be an excellent resource when all you have handy is an ereader! In addition, I really did enjoy the translation!
Matt Maples
This is certainly not my favorite version of the Bible, but it wasn't bad. I would recommend other versions though such as the English Standard version, the NIV or if you want a really good reading Bible then you might try the New Living Translation.
Kiki
May 27, 2012 Kiki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, classic
My rating is more for the contents of the book than this particular translation. I guess the translators were trying to translate the Bible into modern English, but I feel like the plain language they chose took some of the power and beauty out of the words.
Brian King
Jul 10, 2014 Brian King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This translation speaks to me as a Millennial Generation person. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but the difference of word choice from say, ESV or NIV is very helpful to allow me to see past old religious bias.
Jeannie
Jun 16, 2010 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, research
Picked up this Bible as a smaller version to take to church. It has a great compact size, is easily read, includes a placeholder, and is all around gorgeous. Love using this.
  • FREE Weights and Measures Study Guide: Conversion of over 1,000 units including Length, Area, Volume, Speed, Force, Energy, Electricity, Viscosity, Temperature, & more
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Savory Pie Recipes
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • The Treasury of David, Volmes #1-3(The Treasury of David #1-3)
  • New Testament Background: Selected Documents: Revised and Expanded Edition
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • Craving God A 21-day Devotional Challenge to Accompany Made To Crave
  • The Everything Potluck Cookbook (Everything Series)
  • Buck-Naked Faith: A Brutally Honest Look at Stunted Christianity
  • Five Things Every Christian Needs to Grow
  • The Handy Religion Answer Book
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings:  Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?
  • New Bible Dictionary
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“If anyone thinks he is religious without controlling his tongue, then his religion is useless and he deceives himself. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the •world.” 1 likes
“For there was not a needy person among them, because all those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the proceeds of the things that were sold, 35 and laid them at the apostles' feet. This was then distributed for each person's basic needs.” 1 likes