Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Coast Guardsman's Bible

Holy Bible: Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) Coast Guardsman's Bible

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  609 ratings  ·  37 reviews
This handsome, easy-to-carry Bible is designed to meet the unique needs of those who serve the U.S. in exceedingly difficult situations.
Leather Bound, 1152 pages
Published July 1st 2005 by Holman Bible Publishers (first published January 1st 1943)

Laurie
This Bible translation was free for my Nook, and I've been pleasantly surprised to find it accurate, conservative, easy to read and easy to navigate. I have not felt compelled to purchase any other Bible version for my own reading or for following along at church, although our congregation favors the NIV (1984) and our pastor favors the NASB.
Jacob Aitken
The ranking applies to the translation and format, not to the Word of God.

Pros:
1. The HCSB is not as beautiful as the RSV/ESV, nor as literal as the NASB. Still, in communicating to those who do not know "church-ese" but not abandoning the text, it is very good. It is infinitely superior to the NIV in this regard.

2. The New Testament format does a nice job in setting apart and bold-facing Old Testament quotations. Oddly enough, they do not cite the references.

3. It's surprisingly well-bound. I...more
Todd Miles
I am not going to rank the Word of God - how can it be anything other than 5 stars. But I do want to make a few comments about the translation. Attempting to depart from the formal equivalent translation - dynamic equivalent translation continuum, the HCSB opts for what they call "optimal equivalence." As near as I can figure, if measured upon the preceding continuum, they will be inconsistent, sometimes being very formal and other times giving a dynamic translation. I wonder how helpful that is...more
Dina (ReviewTime)
Description
The HCSB Minister's Bible is designed especially for preaching and ministering. This Bible has many features of a Minister's manual such as sections on weddings, funerals , altar calls, and other topics. Another nice aspect of this Bible is that it lays flat while your reading.

About the Binding & Cover
This edition is made from high quality Genuine leather, with a sewn binding. The cover has a nice leathery feel, rich color and finely detailed grain. Bibles covered in Genuine leath...more
Dina (ReviewTime)
The Sportsman's Bible contains numerous devotions written for hunters and fishermen that connect the timeless principles of God's Word with the passion of millions of North American outdoors enthusiasts.

About the binding & cover
The cover of this Bible is Bonded Leather, with Mothwing(tm) fall camouflage. The bonded leather this Bible is made from feels more sturdily, and durable, then any bonded leather Bible I have held. The zipper & zipper slide are a very sturdily, which reminds me of...more
Chris
**The Bible I read was the HCSB Ultra Thin. I couldn't find it on Goodreads--this was the closest. So this is a review of HCSB as a translation, not of the Minister's version**

The HCSB stands for Holman Christian Standard Bible, and is a modern English translation (2004), assembled by an "international, interdenominational team of 90 scholars, all of whom were committed to biblical inerrancy," and whose purpose was to create a translation that would "convey a sense of the original text with as m...more
Russell Freeman
I enjoyed this version of the Bible. It seems to require a lower reading level than some of the other modern versions, and it also presents a different translation in places that shed new light on the text for me. Nonetheless, some of the idiosyncracies were grating for me (translation γλωσσαι as "languages" in 1 Corinthians 14). I am not yet willing to teach and preach out of it, but maybe I could be convinced with another run through.
Zack Melvin
The Bible, of course, as the inerrant word of God, is the greatest book ever penned by man - it needs no review. You don't review the Bible - the Bible reviews you.

This format of the HCSB Bible, in my opinion the greatest English translation of the Bible currently in existence, is actually a great Bible for reading - though it's not recommended for study. It has a two-column format, as any other pew Bible does. It does not have footnotes, which can sometimes be distracting during a normal readi...more
Reepacheep
I read through all of the Biblical text, from Genesis to Revelation--that is to say, I haven't read through all of the publisher's notes, which include the following:

1) Subject Index
2) Plan of Salvation
3) Introduction to the Holman Christian Standard Bible
4) A Short History of the Bible: age, languages, and books (with a brief summary of each book

The two-column layout is very readable, although my wife prefers a single-column layout, which is available in a different edition (view at Amazon.com)...more
Craig
This is the first time I have ever read through the whole Bible in a relatively short period of time (120 straight days). Very rewarding and of course an incredible book. Reading straight through it in such a short period of time really helps you see the continuing story from author to author and book to book in a much clearer and more connected way. This is the most important book ever written. It truly is the greatest book ever written. I not only recommend this book for everyone, but I recomm...more
Stephen N. Collins
My favorite translation for personal devotion.
Douglas Audirsch
I am reading this version of the Bible through this year. I simply read 5 chapters every day first thing in the morning while I drink my coffee. Some days are interrupted due to a fluctuating schedule, but I just pick up where I left off and keep on going on. I enjoy this version. It reminds me somewhat of the NIV in its modern, easy-to-read, tone. However, it has several distinctives. One of which is that it uses the word "Yahweh" for the name of God instead of the generic "Lord".
Kelly
I always struggle to be a continuious reader of The Bible and I was not really sure why until I found the Holman Christian Standard Bible. What I realized is I had not found the version that keep my total intrest. I must say, I love this bible with the easy language, pictures of things and places from the bibical times, and quotes from famous pastors and authors on versus I have just read. I believe this is a great version for anyone 14 years old and up.
Sean
Long drawn out story of a omnipotent being with an unhealthy fascination with foreskin.

First 75% of book apparently doesn't count.
Shawn
This was a pleasant translation of the Scriptures for reading and devotional use. I would guess that it is written at approximately the same reading level as the more popular New International Version. Although it is a translation and not a paraphrase, I still prefer the more rigid word-for-word approach that the New American Standard Bible takes when I need a study Bible.
Martine
This electronic version of the Bible wasn't easy for me to navigate. I would have enjoyed a much more user friendly setup. Nevertheless, it proved to be an excellent resource when all you have handy is an ereader! In addition, I really did enjoy the translation!
Matt Maples
This is certainly not my favorite version of the Bible, but it wasn't bad. I would recommend other versions though such as the English Standard version, the NIV or if you want a really good reading Bible then you might try the New Living Translation.
Kiki
My rating is more for the contents of the book than this particular translation. I guess the translators were trying to translate the Bible into modern English, but I feel like the plain language they chose took some of the power and beauty out of the words.
Brian King
This translation speaks to me as a Millennial Generation person. Maybe it doesn't work for you, but the difference of word choice from say, ESV or NIV is very helpful to allow me to see past old religious bias.
Marmie
On my Kindle. Forgive me, Lord, for thinking this version was "too Baptist." Thank you Holman Standard people for giving this free on Kindle. I bless you in the Name of Jesus for your generosity.
Jeannie
Picked up this Bible as a smaller version to take to church. It has a great compact size, is easily read, includes a placeholder, and is all around gorgeous. Love using this.
David Roberts
Great study

great study bible
very good preferences ,highly recommended for anyone that loves studying the bible and the simplicity found in the research
Elisa (Just a Hunch Book Blog)
Best bible I have ever had. I love the inspirational quotes that litter the pages, as well as the all of the illustrations. Definitely an easy to read translation.
Ken
Wanted a new translation and chose this one. Because I bought the one called "pew Bible," it was the cheapest new hardback version on the shelf.
Sue
This is my 2010 Bible for the year. It's got some really cool features. I'm reading Chronologically this year and preparing a new method for next.
Carrie
In 2005 our church read this edition of the Bible from cover to cover. This translation is easier to read than some.
Anneka
Just over 3 years @ just over a chapter a day. I can now say I've read the whole thing.
Aaron Goodier
More accurately, I am reading this in perpetuity, as god knows when I'll be done with it.
Lisa
It took 2 years and 345 days for my One Year reading plan. But I finished!!!!
Deborah Boutwell
I love the illustrations in this Bible. I use it on a regular basis.
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • Who Is The Holy Spirit? (Crucial Questions, #13)
  • The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon (A Long Line of Godly Men Profile)
  • The Most Misused Verses in the Bible: Surprising Ways God's Word Is Misunderstood
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Circle of Friends Cookbook - 25 Savory Pie Recipes
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • Souvenirs of Solitude: Finding Rest in Abba's Embrace
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Craving God A 21-day Devotional Challenge to Accompany Made To Crave
  • How People Change
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita

“righteousness for yourselves  and reap faithful love; break up your unplowed ground.  It is time to seek the Lord  until He comes and sends righteousness on you like the rain. ” 0 likes
“26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes. ” 0 likes