Start by marking “Summer of the Midnight Sun (Alaskan Quest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer of the Midnight Sun (Alaskan Quest, #1)

Summer of the Midnight Sun (Alaskan Quest #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,602 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Leah Barringer's world is turned upside down when her brother brings home Jayce Kincaid, the man who spurned her ten years ago. Part of an expedition to the Arctic, Jayce shocks Leah by inviting her brother along.

Helaina Beecham arrives in Alsaka to hunt down the man the Pinkertons have sent her to apprehend. But when Jayce Kincaid appears to have been in two places at the
Published March 1st 2006 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Summer of the Midnight Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of the Midnight Sun

Kristy
I guess I need to give most of you the fair warning/disclaimer that this is Christian Fiction. Yes, I know, eye roll and gag. But, this one was not bad.

Yes, there were some very heavy handed moments. Yes, most of the "suprise" moments were predictable. But, there was something about this one that did keep me interested.

This was a story based in Alaska (which was very different, but appealing), post gold-digging craze. The conversations were very proper in their speaking, so it definitely had th
Nikki
Alaskan Quest - Book 1 --- Leah Barringer and her brother Jacob have lived awhile in the Alaskan wilderness. In spite of the hard life that territory makes a body endure, they had come to love the land and it's native people. On a trip to gather supplies for their trading post, Jacob took longer than usual and brought back more than supplies. He brought his friend Jayce Kincaid - a man that Leah had loved 10 years before and who had broken her heart. Not only was Jayce a painful reminder of her ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I guess there is something about reading about the freezing cold Alaska country that makes me happy to have a warm comfy house with indoor plumbing. I enjoyed the easy flowing story here, even if it was a bit slow. It was good. It left me hanging a bit at the end so I'm interested to read the next book. Lucky for me it's sitting in my pile from the library. :) I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.

Christian Fiction (and while I do not enjoy preachy Christian fiction, I appreciated the lesson here of
Beth
Although Summer of the Midnight Sun doesn’t break into my favorites list, I did enjoy the story and found a lot of good aspects therein. I think one of the things I most enjoyed about it was the setting. Alaska can be harsh and unforgiving even today, but in those days, before all of the modern conveniences available to those living in a cold climate now, it was downright brutal. I love how the land was almost its own characters and entity. I thought the little details and nuances of their daily ...more
Loraine
SUMMARY: Leah Barringer's world is turned upside down when her brother brings home Jayce Kinicaid, the man who spurned her ten years ago. Part of an expedition to the Arctic, Jayce shocks Leah by inviting her brother along.

Helaina Beecham arrives in Alaska to hunt down the man the Pinkertons have sent her to apprehend. But when Jayce Kincaid appears to have been in two places at the same time, Helaina wonders if there might be a larger problem with the case.

Despite confusing, conflicting evidenc
Jeanne
This is the first book I have read by this author, and it is the first in a Trilogy set in Alaska around 1915. I don't usually read Chrsitian fiction, but I liked the story, and the writing. I particularly liked the setting and reading about the native Alaskan Indians. The romance of the story is between Leah Barringer and Jayce Kincaid who meet again 10 years after Jayce rejected Leah. The Christian theology, scripture, and presentation of the gospel actually fit into the story well. I will rea ...more
Nicole G.
Christian fiction is not a genre I read at all, but I discovered this book for free on Amazon; it was the first book I got for my Kindle. Set in Alaska in the early 1900s, it's the story of a family and an old romance. I felt that the Biblical passages were occasionally shoehorned into the storyline, nearly bludgeoning me with their message. However, I might seek out the next in the series, just to see what happens.
Wendy Sparkes
3.5*

I loved Tracie's historical and landscape descriptions. This was definitely my favourite part of the book.

The story itself, not so much.

Not that the story itself was bad, it wasn't, and I did like it. It just didn't grab me. I'm not really sure why as there was a lot I liked about it.

I did like the mercy and justice theme. I thought that was very well done.

I am still interested enough to read #2 Under the Northern Lights (Alaskan Quest, #2) by Tracie Peterson #3 Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3) by Tracie Peterson

Jacob and Leah's story starts in the Yukon Quest series when they are children, and it is
Chel ♪
I really like this book the whole Alaskan Quest Series is really good. I don't know if I could pick a favorite. In my personal opinion I think Tracie Peterson did a very good job on the whole series. After I read the first and second books I was soooo ready for the third. I would recommend this to anyone who like good christian fiction.
Dr. Jayce O'Neal
Another great story by one of the best in the business. An interesting note is that the book is dedicated to me and the main character is named after me! True story!
Linda
I enjoy Tracie Peterson, but have the next book on hand (Under the Northern Lights) when you are finishing up this one. It ends in a dang cliffhanger!
Shannah Mauney
As I stated at the beginning, I am a huge fan of Tracie Peterson. Her books are always good and entertaining. I've not read one that I haven't enjoyed. Summer of the Midnight Sun was no exception. The story is set in the beautiful and rugged Alaska. Tracie Peterson's description of the land and the ways of life of the people who lived it back then is phenomenal. She makes the setting come to life and become an integral part of the story. I could picture the land and the story taking place as I w ...more
Rachel Brand
I felt really torn when I came to rate this book. I didn't dislike it at all, but there wasn't a lot that made me want to keep reading. I loved the descriptions of life in Alaska, and there's no doubt that Tracie Peterson is fantastic at bringing her settings to life. But I never really connected with the characters or cared about them all that much.

In terms of the relationships in this book, I actually found the dynamics between Leah and Jacob (siblings) more interesting than those between Lea
Diane
Captivating storyline...I wanted to keep reading and trying to figure things out. I was also able to see some things coming miles away, but it was interesting to see how the relationships worked their way out. I really appreciate writers who write characters strong in their belief in God and making God the center of their lives. I appreciate their struggles with living by what they believe.

Quotes:
p.68 "God wants your heart to be whole...He wants your trust. You mustn't fear. You are poor in spir
Kathryn
Camille
Summer of the Midnight Sun by Tracie Peterson

I graciously received a copy of the entire Alaskan Quest series from Bethany House in exchange for a review. I am under no obligation to write a positive review, just an honest one. :)

But, I don't need any coercion to write a positive review of this book because I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

Summer of the Midnight Sun is the first book in Tracie Peterson's Alaskan Quest series.

I first got into reading books by Tracie Peterson when I read her Song of Alaska se
Alicia
This book was OK. I just didn't ever find any connection to the main characters. I thought the dialogue was weak and heavily christian focused, which is just not my cup of tea. I also thought that the timeline was unrealistic and would have liked to focus in a little more on some of the times/activities that were glossed over in a a single sentence or paragraph. I actually owned this book and will be donating it because I don't intend to read any others in this series.
Kimberly
Aspen
I loved this book! It was so interesting! There really wasn't anything I disliked except for, don't fall in love with it because in the next book, I am just gonna get out and say it, the main character gets raped! Not what I call okay!! But you can read my other review on that :) ;)
Deann Doolittle
I liked all of this book. The characters, the story line, the bible verses, being smacked in the head by some of the things that were in the book. I guess there is one thing I didn't like....I have to wait until the next one comes in at the library!
Alicia
Started off slow but gradually the pace increased and I had a hard time putting the book down. Didn't realize till several pages in that this was a trilogy and I would have to read two more books to see how this story ended.
Abigail
It is slow and a little frustrating at first. Leah is so snotty to Jayce. But, then love happens, and things speed up. I really raced through the last half to see if they survived a shipwreck, who was the guilty party and did their love work out or not. You will need book two handy because book one ends with a shocking twist and cliff hanger.
Cecilia D.
Awesome Series. I loved the series about her beginning, as well...
Shellie
Leah and Jacob live in a remote town in Alaska called Last Chance. This first of three stories chronicles their ups and downs as Jayce, an old friend and once Leah's love, returns to Last Chance. Leah must face old demons as she is confronted with the knowledge that she still loves Jayce. All is not well with Jayce either, because Helaine Beecham, a detective for the Pinkerton's in NY, is hot on his trail with evidence that Jayce is a killer and a thief. Helaina will stop at nothing to bring Jay ...more
Tina
Really liked this book
Susan
I really enjoyed this book. It has a continual focus on Christianity that can not be overlooked. I enjoyed the characters and the mystery that unfolded gradually. It kept me reading up to the end.

The ending is very abrupt and does not have a conclusion that I felt it needed. There is a lot left for other books.
Stephany
Tracie Peterson has always been one of my favorite historical fiction authors and this book is no different. I was immediately captivated by Leah and Jayce's story, as well as Jacob and Helaina's side story. The mystery completely wrapped me up and I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book, worried about what was going to happen next. I can't wait to read the second book in this series!
Catherine
This was my first Christian fiction book. I listened to an audio version of it and I must say that the narrator was wonderful, very engaging and bringing the characters to life. It was so refreshing to read a novel that has adventure, an incredible setting in Alaska, has no foul language and no visuals for romantic encounters.
I look forward to listening to the second story in this trilogy.
Emily
This was a story about a young woman and her brother who are living in Alaska during the early 1900's. The setting was really interesting, especially seeing how a woman would handle living in such an isolated harsh environment. There was a lot of theology in the story, which was interesting as well, however I thought the characters weren't quite developed enough and seemed kind of bland.
Kristen
Don't judge me too harshly- but I couldn't get into this book. I don't mind a little history but this seemed to have a tad bit too much. I tried to force myself to read on, but skipped through a few chapters and finally just read the ending to see what happens. I think I'm glad I didn't waste my time...I should have known when it said historical fiction on the back...
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • The Homeplace
  • Leave a Candle Burning (Tucker Mills Trilogy, #3)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Off the Record
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Exposure
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • A Passion Denied (Daughters of Boston, #3)
  • The Marquis (Gypsy Legacy, #1)
  • Unbridled Dreams
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Alaskan Quest (3 books)
  • Under the Northern Lights (Alaskan Quest, #2)
  • Whispers of Winter (Alaskan Quest, #3)
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)