Start by marking “To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana, #3)” as Want to Read:
To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana, #3)

To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,412 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Heirs of Montana book 3. Though the Diamond V ranch is 1/4ourishing and their own family growing, Dianne and Cole Selby find their hard-earned success threatened as a band of Indians on the warpath inch closer to the valley they call home. When a new family settles in the area with ambitions to establish an empire in Montana, it quickly becomes apparent that they will stop ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about To Dream Anew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Dream Anew

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellNo Greater Glory by Cindy NordDancing on Coals by Ellen O'ConnellSing My Name by Ellen O'ConnellIntimate Strangers by Gem Sivad
Best Western/Civil War Romance
65th out of 110 books — 123 voters
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Crown and the Crucible by Michael R. PhillipsA House Divided by Michael R. PhillipsTravail and Triumph by Michael R. PhillipsHeirs of the Motherland by Judith Pella
Best Christian Fiction Series
29th out of 30 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Olivia
Mar 11, 2016 Olivia rated it liked it
Once again, too many POV's, but overall the story is interesting. I would have preferred if the story was either more focused around one main plot line-trouble with the Indians or Portia and her mess (she made me cringe every time she came on the scene).

I thought it a little strange that in the middle of the book Morgan was talked about a little more, but then as the the story ends he and Trenton are hardly mentioned. And once again there is a cheesy love triangle that reminded me too much of D
Crystal
Feb 26, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
great book! Lots of twists and turns in the plot of this novel. Good and evil are at war in this novel and the characters must dig down deep to find the strength and the faith to endure whatever lies ahead. Secrets are revealed and sacrifices are made in the wake of tragedy in order that the settlers of the Montana territory have the chance to dream anew...
Rebekah Tooley
Dec 02, 2015 Rebekah Tooley rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was a great book just like all of her others in this series. It had a number of pleasant surprises, along with an equal amount of unpleasant surprises.

I really liked Levi, and was sad about what happened to him and was even more sad about his wife. (No names since i like to keep everyone in suspense!)

I was glad that the author had Takes Many Horses making a big change in his life. I admire him greatly for being respectful towards Dianne and harbouring his feelings towards her b
Melody Nagel
Jun 15, 2015 Melody Nagel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I held my breath

Such a strong character is one of the shady ladies that it makes you want to slap some sense into them, but once again I found myself holding my breath in anticipation in two or three scenes. Because of faith, you will applaud how the Lord works for the people of the Diamond V ranch and eagerly anticipate the next book!
Kathryn
Oct 15, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
Jessica
Aug 10, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
This story started out so strong & I was hooked at the beginning but the ending let me down. Perhaps because I have not read the other books in the series, but some characters fizzled out at the end. To me it felt that some characters were developed so thoroughly but then at a certain point it became rushed and all these connections had to come together which resulted in what I will classify as a mediocre ending when it could have been so much more.
Mom
Aug 12, 2016 Mom rated it it was amazing
I felt like book 2 was better than this one but by the end I was totally hooked and ready for book 4 so I can see how the author resolved the issues she left as cliff hangers. Portia is quite the character!! It's sad reading about how awful the Indians were treated. The army wanted the Indians rounded up whether that was peacefully or through battles. The army put them on reservations, and then treated them poorly by giving them bad food to eat and diseased blankets which brought small poxes amo ...more
Dorry Lou
Sep 05, 2012 Dorry Lou rated it liked it
I probably should have given this book 4 stars as it had a lot of intrigue and adventure....It was the story of a family on a ranch that had been left to the wife by an Uncle. The uncle had been married to an Indian and at that time you could not leave property to them, in fact most people tried to get them to a reservation and out of white civilization as they were still killing white people.

Because the ranch was the wifes she had a hard time letting her husband be in charge something they wor
Kelly
Dec 04, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok
2 stars feels a little low for this book, but since I don't really recommend it, I can't go any higher. It's major failings are all in the plot and preachiness. The author filled the book with catching up on characters' lives and wrapping up loose ends. But this book didn't have its own story. She had some good starts, but missed many opportunities.

Story Telling: 1 star
Writing quality: 2 stars
Margaret Fraleigh
Dec 22, 2015 Margaret Fraleigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tracie-peterson
This is book #3 in this series. I love the characters and their stories. I love the history
woven in the lives of these characters.

Can't wait to read the final book - The Hope Within
Shantelle
I got To Dream Anew from a neighbor and picked it up to read when I had no other books at my disposal. I found myself quite drawn into the story. The faith elements were deep and stirring, something you may know I really appreciate in novels. The story was very interesting, but at times, seemed a little too harsh.

Like why does the poor Indian captive sister have to loose so much? Dianne seems to loose little by comparison. But then, such is life I guess. I just don't understand.

So yeah, there we
Alysha
May 17, 2016 Alysha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On to the next

I very much enjoyed the series so far and will continue. As in many books like this there is fairly long part ( about 5pages)focusing on a lesson about God and the bible that seems out of place, but it doesn't ruin the story for me.
Karla D. McReynolds
Very good book

This was a great book! I found it hard to put it down. Happiness, hardships, loss, and unexpected events make it a great book.
ANNETTE
Mar 06, 2016 ANNETTE rated it really liked it
This was the 3rd book in series. I liked all the action and twist and turns. The book seemed to have a few slow areas and was excited to read the ending .
Pat Morris
Aug 23, 2015 Pat Morris rated it really liked it
Book #3 continues to focus on the Selby's running the Diamond V ranch in a remote part of the Montana territory.
Nikki
May 19, 2007 Nikki rated it liked it
Heirs of Montana book 3. Though the Diamond V ranch is flourishing and their own family growing, Dianne and Cole Selby find their hard-earned success threatened as a band of Indians on the warpath inch closer to the valley they call home. When a new family settles in the area with ambitions to establish an empire in Montana, it quickly becomes apparent that they will stop at nothing to uproot Dianne's family from the land they've nourished and come to love. Peterson's vivid writing enlivens this ...more
Barbara
Oct 28, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Heirs of Montana series! Love the Selby families and their trust in God in ALL circumstances. Good history lessons contained also with the Indian/slave issues. Totally new perspectives presented.
Debby Baumgartner
Dianne and Cole are challenged by Natives Americans attacking white settlers and the vengeance of a woman.
Rebecca
Sep 03, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Not as good as the others but decent enough of a story line to keep me interested. I will read the 4th book.
Heather
Jan 17, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
This series continues to be all consuming. I love them.
Joy Gerbode
Mar 09, 2011 Joy Gerbode rated it liked it
Now the story is really getting to be redundant, although I am still compelled to keep reading, as I want to know what's coming next. I was disappointed that sometimes what came next seemed to be a repeat of an earlier incident (especially with regard to people's emotions); however the historical events that are incorporated into this fiction, the tenacity of the people, the hardships they endured, the hard work, the family ties, the love ... all work together for an enjoyable read.
Linda
May 30, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Great.
Trudy E
Nov 06, 2013 Trudy E rated it really liked it
This has been a captivating series in many respects- from the time period and geographical setting to the characters. As time goes on for the Selbys and their family and friends, the ranch grows and thrives. Indian uprisings bring about fear and concern, and a newcomer to the area is determined to take over the surrounding ranches and farms regardless of the cost. I have already started on the last book and am certain I will be sad to say goodbye when it is finished.
Sue Klasing
Gives insight into the hardships our arrival in the west brought to the American Indians. Much hardships for the families that came to settle there also. Lots of action in this series.
Andrea
Oct 15, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
I decided to give book three of this series a try, even though I felt things were fairly well wrapped up in book 2. I was glad I continued though. The author added a few more characters and/or brought more attention to other characters that were pretty interesting.

I have to say that Portia is just plain EVIL. I know there are real people in the world like her character, and it's just mind boggling how someone can be so evil.
L
Mar 01, 2013 L rated it it was amazing
This is the third in Tracie Peterson's Heirs of Montana series, and was another inspiring read about early settler's of our country. This one was centered around the Selbys, and their fight with the Lawrence family, who are the epitome of evil with their attempts to steal the Selby's ranch. Portia appears again,and is the type of character a reader loves to hate.
Joanie Standridge
Jan 09, 2014 Joanie Standridge rated it it was amazing
This is third in the Montana series. It is my favorite so far. I really liked the plot and how the characters played out in this book. The author left the end hanging with great anticipation for the next book.
Tammy Bolt-Werthem
Jan 31, 2009 Tammy Bolt-Werthem rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: erin, jana, jenny
Good Christian Fiction. About a family that moves from the mid west to the west during the confederate war. Lots of grief and loss along the way, but also a redeeming story of love and friendship. demonstrates the value of living in community and how the body of Christ functions. Waiting on number four from my mom.
Jackie
Aug 25, 2009 Jackie rated it liked it
This book was an easy read. I did not like that it went from one character to the next. Sometimes it was confusing and I would be just in a part I like about one character and then the author was off to the other life. I want to learn about one character at a time!
Suzanne
Apr 28, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Janet, Aletha, Mom #2 (Sandi)
Recommended to Suzanne by: Jenny Ermshar
I really enjoyed this book and could hardly put it down! Tracie did a wonderful job of developing the plot in this book. it wasn't predictable and it kept me engaged wondering what would happen next. if you haven't picked up this series... do so and start reading!
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • Revealed (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #2)
  • The Maverick (Men of the Saddle #3)
  • Sophie's Dilemma (Daughters of Blessing, #2)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • Leave a Candle Burning (Tucker Mills, #3)
  • Colorado
  • Wings of Morning (These Highland Hills, #2)
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Heirs of Montana (4 books)
  • Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • The Coming Storm (Heirs of Montana, #2)
  • The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana, #4)