Start by marking “What She Left for Me” as Want to Read:
What She Left for Me

What She Left for Me

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  43 reviews
When Jana returns from a missions trip, she discovers that her pastor husband has left with his secretary…along with their bank account. Humiliated, penniless, pregnant, and very much alone, J
Published October 1st 2005 by Bethany House

To ask other readers questions about What She Left for Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What She Left for Me

Michelle Robinson
THis book had a very interesting and novel plot. Jana's mother's is what compelled me to continue reading this book.

However, for me, there became a point at which I found that too many things had happened to one charachter to be believable. I also really had trouble with some of the reactions or lack there of, of the aunt.

At the end of the book, I got so tired of the preachy feel of the novel that I did not feel it was really worth finishing. There has to be a way to make a point in a novel with
Cindy
I am giving this book two stars--it was ok. I can't say that I liked it.
(view spoiler)
Andrea Norton
Jana is the wife of a pastor. She discovers she is pregnant with a very much planned child while on a mission trip to Africa. Upon returning home she finds a note from her husband explaining that he has left her for another woman. He has drain their bank accounts, sold anything of value, and stolen and sold jewelry given to her by her great aunt.

This book deals with some very difficult issues. Some reviewers found the circumstances hard to believe but I didn't. My husband studied sexual crimes
Jolene
I commend Tracie for tackling subjects that could easily be avoided, especially within the Christian fiction genre. She has a note in the beginning of her book, however, that she wouldn't recommend it for everyone as there could be triggers- and I have to agree. This is a book that addresses deep-seated issues and disturbing traumatic events that could possibly not sit well with some.

Tracie's captivating writing style and well-developed characters drew me in to the point where I felt like I kne
Shirley Henning
Was not for me.

I have loved all her books except this one. It was so intense, so full of anger, misunderstanding, abuse, sadness, you name it. if it wasn't for Taffy's character I would have not finished the book. I do appreciate the strong Christian witness in the book but going thru all the characters' issues and experiences was depressing and anything but enjoyable reading. I've said this before that it may be real life to some people but I can watch this kind of stuff on the daily news.
Pam Lemmon
A great read.....

Having grown up in the 60's during the hippie movement this book brought back memories of that time. Although I never joined the hippie communes I had a good idea of how they lived and their ideas of what true freedom meant. I can see how their lifestyle would affect their children in such a negative way. This author has the ability to express the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ and how accepting that love that is so freely offered can truely set you free.
Deb
Sep 04, 2007 Deb added it
plot summary: what happens, when & where, central characters, major conflicts[return]jana returns from a mission trip to africa to find the shock of her life. puzzled that her pastor-husband isn't there to meet her, she takes a taxi home and finds an empty house--and a note. her husband has run off with the church secretary and left her alone--and pregnant (he didn't know about the baby, she just found out and was planning to tell him when she returned from her trip). he also cleared out the ...more
Joan Arning
This was an unusual and interesting story dealing with adultery, murder, and incest. If you want a feel good romance, this book is not for you. It is the story of a young pregnant woman, her mother and great aunt. They have each faced tragedies in their lives. Jana discovers that she had made her husband her god rather than Almighty God. The ladies learn it is possible to forgive even horrible things committed against us if we want a real relationship with God.
Kelsy
A novel about healing from some of life's ultimate betrayals. Although the plot is highly influenced by some very sensitive subjects, Tracie Peterson approaches infidelity and sexual abuse with respect and truth while not making the novel about those betrayals. Rather, it is a story full of hope and strength.
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I found myself pleasantly surprised by this book. I used to absolutely love all of Peterson's book but after taking a long break from reading her books I picked up one a few months ago and found the entire book entirely distasteful.

Judging from that experience I did not know what to expect when I started reading this book. I enjoyed the book. I found it on one of the shelves at my grandmother's house and she gave it to me. Originally I had decided to sell it as soon a
Jessica Ann Reno
Touching

THIS story was ABSOLUTELY amazing! I feel like I KNOW these ladies. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with the past. I was adopted as a baby and identified so much with parts of this story.
Melissa
Christian woman's pastor husband leaves her for his secretary. She discovers she's pregnant and has to move in with her estranged mom and great aunt. Story really good but dialogue and writing a little stilted.
carol jones
Excellent read

Very hard subject to write about and yet this book was written with honesty and truth and had me hooked from the first chapter.
Susan
I finished reading this book in 2 days. I found myself staying up late just to finish. I love the character Taffy and hope to be like her in my golden years. The trials that the women in this book go through are so like the trials of too many women. It is refreshing to me always to read a Christian view on tragedy. I think we all have asked "why do bad things happen to good people"? Once again an author has touched on God's purpose for us when tragedy strikes. This is a quick read, but by all me ...more
KIMBERLYN Hastey
Fabulous

This book just sucked me in. I wanted to hear these characters stories and laughed and cried along with them! Very much enjoyed!
Carvetta
Christian wisdom in the area of forgiveness and redemption. A powerful lesson on why forgiveness is necessary.
Bonnie
The message of this book is better than the writing itself, though the story was somewhat engaging. The narration jumps back and forth between past and present, telling the story of a grown woman in her twenties, her mother and her great-aunt, and how their lives have effected each other. Each has had her own trials and traumas, some of them secret, and how they deal with these crises has implications for the other. Issues of infidelity and abuse are involved; again, the message of how to handle ...more
Liz
everybody had problems,too many hard to grasp sometimes
Ruth
This is a fiction book about a pregnant pastor's wife whose husband leaves her to run off with his secretary. Since she has no place to go, she goes to live with her great aunt and mother, and as a result, ends up resolving lots of issues surrounding all three women and their relationships.

Tracie is one of my favorite authors, but this book was a bit different from her normal style, which tends to be historical fiction. The plot is a little far-fetched, with lots of twists and turns. But, I love
Brooke
This is another well written Tracie Peterson book. The topic is a lot heavier than some though as it tackles rape and adultery in the lives of three women (great-aunt, mother, and daughter). There are no lewd details or anything but if you are considering letting a younger reader read this I would recommend reading it first to be sure you are comfortable with the book. This is a delicate topic and the author handles it well and shows the devasation that can be caused along with the freedom of fo ...more
Linda
Good story. Characters were interesting.
Paula-O
I did not think I would like this book but now am halfway through and hate to put it down.
I finished this one quickly and really like the characters-All strong women, they found their inner solace and were able to change their lives. there were many difficulties and their lives were intertwined though they did not know that at first. this was a different type then I usually read but sometimes a different type story makes life interesting. I would definately reccomend this book to those that lik
Stephanie
Loved this book
joyce lynn
wow!!! i still prefer her Cape Refuge series to anything she's done, BUT ... i think on her list, this ranks right up under that series as my favorite of her's

not only VERY well written, and kept you in suspense, but ... QUITE thought provoking! this brought up some issues of mine i know that i STILL have to deal w/!! work, work, work!!!

AAAHHH!!! what to read now???
Becky
I thought this book had a really good story line. I didn't want to put the book down. I wanted to keep reading to see what happened next. I would recommend this book to anyone that is looking for a good read. :)
Lisa
Ray of hope amidst tragedy

A decent story covering the many aches and pains we find in this life, and how God can heal brokenness and relationships.
Shannon
Apr 12, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who want to help anyone who has faced abuse.
This book looks at the problem of infidelity and child abuse from a christian point of view. Trace has carefully developed the story without any graphic references and she hopes that through the characters in this story all of us will learn to reach out with healing and love to frends and family who may be on a similar journey.
Martha Valasek
The issues are difficult, but a reality for many women. I am thankful for a wonderful father who I loved, but not every woman has this advantage. The story certainly leaves a hopeful feeling to a very touchy situation.
Lorri
Another great book! Given to me by my Aunt. A wonderful (though very sad and emotional at times) story about forgiveness and sin. Makes you look at sin in another way.. sin is sin.. whether shoplifing or murder... hmmmm... something to contemplate for sure! A very good read and a very good ending.
Melissa Snow
I read this book in two days. Alot of times you picck up on the foreshadowing and you expect certain things to happen, but this book had suprises. Eleanor reminded me so much of my own grandmother it was unbelievable. I feel like I truly learned some things from the characters and story line.
  • A Promise for Tomorrow (Ribbons of Steel, #3)
  • The Debt
  • Shackled Lily (Winsor, #2)
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, Book 1)
  • The Perfect Life
  • Double the Trouble (Kings of California, #14)
  • Coming Home
  • Choices (A Woman's Life)
  • A Secret Until Now (One Night With Consequences, #3)
  • Curby
  • Ready For Marriage
  • The True Beast (Full Moon Mercy, #2)
  • Running Home
  • Can't Let Go
  • One More Sunrise
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)

“abruptly. “That’s the way it always is. People hurt you and walk all over you. They lie to you and betray you, and then with those two little words, they expect it should all somehow be wiped from the slate. As if I’m sorry had some sort of magical powers to take away the pain.”...I know your faith says you’re supposed to forgive people when they ask for it, but I think that’s malarkey. Why give absolution to someone when they’re only seeking forgiveness to ease their own conscience ? They don’t care that what they’ve done has permanently scarred you. They don’t care that they’ve robbed you of all security.”...When pressed for a reason for their actions or when facing the consequences, people are suddenly ever so sorry and apologetic .” She looked at Jana, but Jana was sure she didn’t see her. Her mother was a million miles away. “Consequences don’t just go away. They aren’t suddenly dissolved just because forgiveness has been desired or given.” 2 likes