Start by marking “Diamond Dust: Stories” as Want to Read:
Diamond Dust: Stories

Diamond Dust: Stories

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Upon the recent publication of Fasting, Feasting, critics raved about Anita Desai: "Desai is more than smart; she's an undeniable genius" (Washington Post Book World). The Wall Street Journal called Fasting, Feasting "poignant, penetrating . . . a splendid novel, " while the Boston Globe celebrated Desai's "beautiful literary universe." Now, in this richly diverse collecti ...more
Published May 19th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Diamond Dust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diamond Dust

Sandhya
Lot of imagery, lyricism in the language, so Anita Desai isn't always the easiest authors to read - especially if you want to get straight to the point. I remember reading Cry The Peacock several years ago and not really grasping much of it - a very mystifying novel with lots of symbols and imagery.

So when I took up her book of short stories -Diamond Dust, I did it with some amount of hesitancy. The first story actually put me off awith its dialogues - which I thought didn't sound 'Indian' at al
Yahan
An ivory tower literati product that selectively perpetuates a dark, dreary image of India that is popular with some foreigners and the pseudo elite of India. Shades of Dilli Durbar.

I found little beauty in this book, only sorrow.
Shivam Dixit
my personal favorite ones r winterscape, diamond dust and the man who saw himself drown. while in winterscape the evident hardcomings of indian parents r shown nd how they are not able to adjust in the modern settings of their grownup children. it olso shows the deep contrast between western individualistic approach nd indian collective approach.
diamond dust is bout how ppl r mad fr deir love and obsessions no matter how mch nybdy else tries to cnvince dem. man who saw himslf drown is d best on
Barbara
A delightful book of short stories. Some very good descriptions throughout and many characters you wanted to get to know more about.

This may be the first Anita Desai book I've read but I doubt it will be my last.
Tya
I think that one of the most beautiful things that an author can do in a short story collection is creating a voice so distinctively and so aptly for the circumstances of each story and each character that you almost forget they are all written by the same person. And that's what Anita Desai did in Diamond Dust. I can just imagine her carefully mixing and choosing words in her palette and painting with such purpose and technique that when you look closer at the finished work you can observe the ...more
Randa
Snapshots from the lives of ordinary people in Britain, Canada, India, and Mexico among others. These stories have rich descriptions but they do not really contain a plot in the traditional sense. They are best viewed as short vignettes in the lives of the people. There is a little shadow of sadness in all of them. My favourite was Rooftop Dwellers, the last story in the collection.
Rahat
Hit or miss.

On the whole, Anita Desai is an impressive writer. But I believe her short stories lacked cohesion; some stories just seemed pointless. Admittedly, each story was unique, but they lacked consistency.

However, the last one, The Rooftop Dwellers, was delightful and memorable. This story, I believe, saved the entire short story collection.
Lynda Alsford
I enjoyed the stories and I like her use of language. I found it easy to imagine the places she described and got into the story and characters quickly. But as always with short stories I am often so sorry it isn't a longer story. It ends too soon. We read this for my book group and its encouraged me to maybe try one of her novels.
Manish
A wonderful collection of short stories from the inimitable Anita Desai. The best ones were probably the one recreating the buzz on a Himalayan highway caused by a stubborn driver refusing to move forward and the one detailing the travails of a single working woman living in a barsati in Delhi.
Kate Schindler
These were interesting. Not all about Indian families, it turned out. She's a great writer, and I loved the pictures she painted, but I was a little annoyed because I like my stories to have endings and hers mostly didn't. I just prefer closure to possibilities in my fiction.
Manda
I enjoyed this book on the whole, but felt that the book was written to descibe or explain India to those who don't know it, and I was a bit fed up of the way things happen in India in the end. I wanted a tale about someone where India wasn't a part of the story.
Kristian
I liked this collection of short stories. I picked up this book randomly out of my boyfriend's collection and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. There were a lot of special moments in the stories. My favorite is the last story, about the single woman in Delhi.
Nora
A quiet but deeply satisfying collection of short fictions detailing events that lead characters to irrevocably cross the invisible line separating their pasts from new experiences, new insights, and new existences.
Elaine
I'm not a short story fan, but I'm very impressed with the stories in this book. Very well written, clear characterisation, and good storylines, but just too short.
It was an enjoyable and worthwhile read.
Kavfrou
is actually a dog known as the beast.

anita desai writes beautifully and even though i don't really like short stories, hers are compelling and intriguing.

I especially like the rooftop dwellers.
Kate
One of my favorite collections of short stories! Some of the word-images still come to mind even now. Beautifully written.
Gemma Williams
A very lovely book of short stories from Anita Desai. Occasionally funny, often melancholy and always perceptive.
SanjeeB
Brilliant!! It's amazing the way she manipulates the English language to create vivid images and emotions!
Brooks
Incredibly dull short stories - couldn't finish.
A. Moses Levitt
ga mau ngomong dulu...lgi seru.
Peter Atkinson
Too much Dust, not enough Diamonds...
Rafaela
Kiran Desai's mother. Life in India.
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Ranjita Bhat
Ranjita Bhat is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Ginger Cooper
Ginger Cooper marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • The Tree Bride
  • One in Every Crowd
  • A Humument: A Treated Victorian Novel
  • Natasha and Other Stories
Anita Desai was born in 1937. Her published works include adult novels, children's books and short stories. Sh e is a member of the Advisory Board for English of the National Academy of Letters in Delhi and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature in London. Anita Mazumdar Desai is an Indian novelist and Emeritus John E. Burchard Professor of Humanities at the Massachusetts Institute of Technol ...more
More about Anita Desai...
Fasting, Feasting The Village by the Sea Clear Light of Day The Artist of Disappearance In Custody