Start by marking “The Stepsister Scheme (Princess, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stepsister Scheme (Princess, #1)

The Stepsister Scheme (Princess #1)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  4,295 Ratings  ·  602 Reviews
What would happen if an author went back to the darker themes of the original fairy tales for his plots, and then crossed the Disney princesses with "Charlie's Angels?" Hines delivers a new take on what happened to Cinderella and her prince after the wedding. Original.

==

You know how all those old fairy tales take you through lots of scary adventures till you finally reach
Mass Market Paperback, 344 pages
Published January 6th 2009 by DAW (first published December 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Stepsister Scheme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stepsister Scheme

Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jun 15, 2012 Anzu The Great Destroyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fairy tale re-tellings, anti-Disney, tough heroines, stepsisters, pigeons and rats
Indulge not overmuch in wine or beer. Pick not thy nose, scratch not thy rear, and all shall say “A lady sits here.”

A true lady’s lesson in life.

Only one of my Goodreads friends read this book. Of course this made me think that maybe it won’t be so good. Why else would people not know of The Stepsister Scheme?

Why else? I’ll tell you why else. Because of all this mainstream crap that’s flying around, that’s why!

I enjoyed this book so much. When I first read the summary I instantly fell in lov
Chris
One of the more recent cultural phenomenon is the rise of the Disney princesses. Everywhere you look, you see young girls wearing Disney Princess gear. On Halloween, young girls dress up as Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, and Snow White. Even Mulan has been declared an honorary princess (how, I don't know. Can someone explain it to me?). Some women have expressed concerned about young girls being, well, girly, and lacking good role models. The Disney princesses, in other words, seem to be a tamer ...more
Miriam
Apr 01, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tale
I first heard of Jim Hines when someone forwarded me this blog where he attempts to recreate sexy cover heroine poses: http://www.jimchines.com/2012/01/stri... He seemed pretty cool so I decided to read one of his books. This one was a relatively random choice, and I don't know how it compares to his other books.

I'm sorry this wasn't published when I was in high school, because I'm sure I would have loved it then. At this point in my life this wasn't genuinely a 4-star read in terms of my enjoy
Bob Milne
Sep 08, 2015 Bob Milne rated it it was ok
While I'd had The Stepsister Scheme on my radar for while now, it was only because of Jim C. Hines social presence that I finally decided to give it a try. Whether he's poking fun at fantasy cover poses, talking about important topics like depression and diversity, or demonstrating the absurdity of the sad puppies mess, he's a clever geek a with a good head on his shoulders.

I wanted to like his fiction, and it may be that I just picked the wrong book to begin with, but The Stepsister Scheme fell
Cait
Jan 01, 2011 Cait rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale fans who enjoy clever concepts
I really love retold fairy tales, but I also have what I think should not be a terribly picky rule: a clever concept is not a substitute for a story. A disappointingly large number of so-called "fractured fairy tales" fail this simple test, and the cover art and blurb for this book were not very promising, to the point where I would not have picked it up at all if I hadn't been rather impressed with this author's book Goblin Quest , which had a clever concept and a very good story. This book do ...more
Brownbetty
Jun 02, 2010 Brownbetty rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book. Hines is one of a few authors whose internet presence doesn't come across as an egotistical gasbag, and you cannot imagine how this predisposes me to liking him. But this book!

First, obviously, lots of people do like this book, since it has sequels, and his editors presumably know their business, but I could not. I made it through the first two chapters only by mentally writing increasingly hysterical editorial directions to Hines, at which point I gave up. This book'
David
Mar 19, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Disney princesses, Princes in need of rescue, pervy gnomes
This is very light, very enjoyable fantasy. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, but it reminded me of Terry Pratchett and Bill Willingham and Piers Anthony (not the pervy Piers Anthony, which is to say, 90% of his output, but the guy who occasionally writes about female characters without drooling on his keyboard).

Danielle Whiteshore is the "Cinderella" of legend. She married her Prince, they got busy on their wedding night, and just when she's starting to think it really is a dream co
Ashley
Jim C. Hines is honestly one of my favorite authors, even though he's never written a book that I've lost my mind* over. What he writes is solid, fun fantasy with a strong feminist backbone. He also seems to have a thing for championing the underdog, and writing stories that subvert traditional story-types. The Princess series, of which I've read all but the last book at the time of writing this review, is particularly notable as all the main characters are ladies, and a significant part of the ...more
Steven
Mar 22, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
This is not a goblin book like Jim's three other books, Goblin Quest, Goblin Hero, and Goblin War. You may have been clued in by the three kick-ass women on the cover.

Remember that scene in Shrek 3? The kick ass one with Led Zeppelin in the background?

Okay, imagine that - except funnier, with more plot, and fully realized characters. And more actual fairy tale stuff. This book is what that one scene wants to be when it grows up. The women are fully realized people, the action is packed, and the
Blodeuedd Finland
Mar 06, 2016 Blodeuedd Finland rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am glad I finally read a Hines book, cos this was funny. And it was fantasy! And it was fairytales.

Danielle aka Cinderwench aka Cinderella finally got her prince. And all is well. Well for a time.

Danielle was sweet, she was nice, she was nicer than I would have been, but hey she could throw a punch (not always literally) too.

Armand her prince, well he was not in it a lot since the poor bastard got himself kidnapped. Silly men always getting kidnapped so the women has to do the dirty work.

Talia
vLadimiR
Mar 29, 2014 vLadimiR rated it it was ok

I really wanted to like this book and was even initially excited when I got it. Sadly it didn't turn out well for me. I felt like I had to force myself to read because once I start, I don't want to leave a book unfinished.

For one, the story focused heavily on description. It mostly details sequences for the majority of the story which would've been okay the plot had been a bit more complex. However, the story could be summarized as: Cindrella's prince gets kidnapped, Snow White & Sleeping be
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Nov 01, 2009 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it liked it
Recommended to Shannon (Giraffe Days) by: Nan
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
Since the night she escaped her drudgery to go to the ball where she caught the eye of Prince Armand and danced with him, leaving behind one of her glass slippers which he used to find her, Danielle has known happiness. Her new life as Princess has had its moments, and she keeps trying to befriend the palace servants, but she loves her prince and she's escaped her hellish life as servant to her stepmother and stepsisters.

Until, a few short months after the wedding, her stepsister Charlotte turns
Lina
You know how some books have certain types of covers that make you think "no way am I reading this"? Well I got to stop falling for that because I can assure you that I would have missed out on this if not for my awesome tumblr friends. It's a fun engaging story with three characters we know well from fairytales with a slightly different take on their origins. I really enjoyed how the author got into the trauma of the characters based on their experiences. I mean after almost being killed by ...more
Kogiopsis
After reading quite a few of Jim Hines' blog posts and quite enjoying his humor and approach to the world, I figured it was long past time to give his actual books a shot. This seems to be the usual starting point, and after reading it I can see why: it's a fun, light romp of a retelling, nothing too complicated but very enjoyable all in all. The characters don't develop, persay, but the reader's perception and understanding of them does - Hines does a good job of slowly fleshing out their ...more
Jen
Jan 11, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
This book is thoroughly charming. My socks have been completely charmed off my feet, so it's good that I have blankets and a dog to keep my toes warm.

I am so, so glad that I purchased this book. It is clever, has a good plot, has fun use of magic and fighting, and had I not been feeling like death warmed over, may have made me laugh until I cried. As it was, it made me smile really big a couple of times, which is a huge reaction right now.

I had this book highly recommended by other folks who lik
Krissy
For some reason I just couldn't really get into it even though it was a good story. I think I just wasn't in the mood to read this type of book. I just picked a bad time to read it I guess.
Moira
Jul 09, 2015 Moira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tails, čj
Nevěděla jsem, co od této knihy čekat. Vlastně jsem se k ní dostala jen náhodou, rozhodně toho však nelituju! Skoro jsem váhala nad čtyřkou, ale nebuďme až moc hodní.
Nejen že kniha splňovala těch „pár“ náročných kritérií, které by podle mě ucházející fantasy příběh měl mít, ale dokázala spojit vtipnou, poutavou i vážnou stránku věci, v což jsem asi ani nedoufala.

Dostáváme se do světa, ve kterém jsou pohádky skutečností. Tohle zní zajímavě že? Jenže mohlo by mě to tak bavit, kdybych četla pohádku
Nan
Jan 04, 2009 Nan rated it really liked it
(I don't know if anyone would consider this a spoilery review, so please be warned . . .)

Danielle is the princess formerly known as Cinderwench. Predictibly, she's having a hard time settling into her new role in life, despite the fact that she genuinely loves her husband. She has a hard time establishing a relationship with her servants, as she finds it difficult to tell them what to do and to allow them to do their own work. She doesn't enjoy learning the protocol she needs to know. However, a
Kevin
Jan 13, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, fairytale
This is a fun book. A quick read filled with action, magic and humor.

The story starts with Cinderella, 'real' name Danielle de Glas, mere months after the classic fairy tale ends, at a time she should be busy living happily ever after. Instead Danielle's husband, Prince Armand, gets kidnapped by her stepsisters. Aided by Talia (also known as Sleeping Beauty), whose fairy blessings grant her some mean fighting skills and Snow (White of course), a sorceress using mirror magic, Danielle sets out to
Silent_count
Aug 11, 2012 Silent_count rated it liked it
Shelves: commented, fiction
This book made me think a lot about girls going through puberty. It's an age when they're starting to find their way in our, grown-up world but are themselves still touched by the glimmering magic of childhood. This is a book for all of those girls... and maybe their parents too.

It's for girls who are taught that girls are weak, and who need role-models better than the Paris Hiltons and Bella Swans of our world. It's for girls who are old enough to see through the "childish" fairy tales but have
Danika
Jan 13, 2016 Danika rated it liked it
This book was a great mix of dark and light and highly entertaining to read. The various characters were hilarious and I liked their connections with each other.

Strong Points:
-I loved the dark and light moments in the book. Some parts were unexpectedly gruesome, and others lighthearted and fun. This mix made it highly entertaining.
-I also really liked the way the plot went at the end
-Loved the concept of the princess saving her prince.
-The characters were awesome, but see weak points for a lit
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 Beth Cato rated it really liked it
Shelves: in, fantasy, 2009
Cinderella - aka Danielle - thought she found her happily-ever-after. She married her prince, toured the kingdom, and has discovered she has the funny knack to talk to animals. But when one of her stepsisters breaks into the castle and tries to assassinate her with some peculiarly powerful witchcraft, it's obvious that something is very wrong. As her stepsister escapes, she announces that they have the Prince - Armand - in their possession. Fortunately for Danielle, a woman by the name of Talia ...more
Kati
Not as light-hearted as Hines' "Goblin" series. Actually, it's a really odd mix. On the one hand, there's banter and humor, on the other hand, there's rape and murder there too. And the end-result is... well, odd. The princesses are likable, that's true. But I have to admit that by the end of the book I was starting to get really bored/annoyed with them. I can't really put my finger on what bothered me so much. Maybe it was their inability to cooperate? Or better said, the author's inability to ...more
Elwen
Somehow I thought this is a funny retelling with our well-known fairy tale characters, but it is by no means! Even if there are some scenes to giggle, it is more an action packed twist on their happily ever after. Snow white, Cinderella and Sleeping beauty are based on the original (bloody) Grimm fairy tales but differs in some interesting ways. The story itself lacks a bit sometimes, but the magic system and the thrilling finale balance this out very well.

It is #1 of a series, but can be read
Unwisely
Sep 16, 2012 Unwisely rated it did not like it
This started out slightly obnoxious, but I figured maybe it was just a rough start. Lots of books get better as they go on. Except before I got 100 pages in, it tripped my Most Hated Trope (see here, and I just couldn't finish. (Yes, yes, you go ahead and read about that stuff, I will not.)

I made it past that in the Mercy Thompson because I actually cared about the character - it took several books to get to that point. This didn't make it. I can't recommend it.
julia
Jul 17, 2012 julia rated it it was ok
A friend recommended this to me, knowing my penchant for Disney Princesses. These gals ain't anything like the Disney princesses, more like the fairy tales I read growing up. HOwever, I didn't really care for the girls. Talia/Sleeping Beauty is kind of a mean person with a major chip on her shoulder from all that time spent sleeping. Snow White is more like a teenage boy's fantasy than a real person, and Cinderella/Danielle really wasn't that enchanting. I won't be reading any more of the ...more
Patrick Burgess
Sep 24, 2009 Patrick Burgess rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: anyone, really, it's just not for me
Shelves: reviewed
Hmmmm

I tried. I really did. It's not a bad book, but I just couldn't get into it. It was a great premise, but it didn't go the way I thought it was going to. Maybe it seemed a little too contrived? A little too contemporary? I think I was expecting something a little bit MORE out there... somewhere... over a rainbow or rabbit-hole or magic faraway tree. Or something.

Just couldn't do it...
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
I thought the concept was pretty good and really wanted to like this book, but just never felt like I got into it. The plot was rather simplistic, the characters a little too flat (although with potential), and the humor not humorous enough. It starts off doing a good job playing off of the "story that you've heard is not the real story" angle of the fairy tales, but in the long run just falls back onto common tropes.
Eric
Jan 28, 2009 Eric rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty unite to form a kick-ass superhero team. Imagine a mash-up of the Brothers Grimm and the Powerpuff Girls. This is mostly Cinderella's story (she rescues her abducted prince), but things pick up noticeably when Snow White summons her seven little friends. The dwarves bring the pain and help the Powerpuff Princesses tear down Fairytown. Hi ho!

Artemis
"Do we look like we need to be rescued?"

Exciting, non-stop action and adventure - with three princesses from three different fairy tales. These are not the demure and ineffective females we associate with Disney or even Grimm. These ladies are strong, well-developed, well-rounded and three-dimensional: who need no prince to come and save them. In fact, in this tale, they are the ones who go on a hero's journey to save the prince!

For someone who is tired of seeing degrading and unself-aware rubbi
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Stepsister Scheme 1 3 Jul 21, 2013 06:23PM
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
  • The Sleeping Beauty (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • Airs of Night and Sea (Horsemistress Saga, #3)
  • Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
  • Sword And Sorceress XIV
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Geist (Book of the Order, #1)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • Winter's Child:  A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Once Upon A Time, #17)
  • Fitcher's Brides
  • Six-Gun Snow White
  • Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England
  • Midnight Never Come (Onyx Court, #1)
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
Jim C. Hines' latest book is REVISIONARY, the fourth in his modern-day fantasy series about a magic-wielding librarian, a dryad, a secret society founded by Johannes Gutenberg, a flaming spider, and an enchanted convertible. He's also the author of the PRINCESS series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous GOBLIN QUEST trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in BLOOD OF HEROES. His short fiction has ...more
More about Jim C. Hines...

Princess (4 books)
  • The Mermaid's Madness (Princess, #2)
  • Red Hood's Revenge (Princess, #3)
  • The Snow Queen's Shadow (Princess, #4)