Start by marking “The Joy Luck Club” as Want to Read:
The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
There are so many things that a mother wishes to teach her daughter. How to lose your innocence but not your hope. How to keep hoping, when hope is your only joy. How to laugh for ever. This is the story of four mothers and their daughters - Chinese-American women, the mothers born in China, and the daughters born in America. Through their eyes we see life in pre-Revolutio ...more

To ask other readers questions about The Joy Luck Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joy Luck Club

Julio Quero
The Joy Luck Club is an intriguing true story about the customs of mothers born and raised in China immigrating to the United States and having to raise American born daughters there, also the everyday struggle of relationships between mother/daughter. The Joy Luck club is a gathering that a few families have where they gather to talk and play mah-jong. Jing-Mei who's mother was part of the club dies and she takes her place at the table. Her mother had located the address of her long lost daught ...more
Maan
Dec 08, 2011 Maan rated it it was ok
I found the book okay. It was light, it delved on family values, but I wanted more. Bitin!I read the book fast because I was looking forward to know how the author will connect the different stories of the characters. As I read the last line, I found myself saying "That's it?!"
anissa
Apr 20, 2007 anissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
The first and still the best of Amy Tan.
elaney guevara
Apr 13, 2007 elaney guevara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girl friends
Shelves: favorites
i read this book before i watched the movie. this book made me cry. if you know how hard it is for me to cry, that is a feat in itself.

i like the characterization in the story, how consistent they are in their portrayal. i love the women in this book, especially june, as she seems to still struggle to win the approval of her mother (as we asian women are wont to do) even as she struggles to find herself in a country so different from what she really is.

the main raves about this book though is i
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it liked it
PB-B @ 1989 - 8/93. Interesting story about four Chinese mothers and their four Chinese/American daughters. If I read it again, I would read it differently...I would read each chapter about the same family in sequence. Perhaps that way it would not be so confusing!
Suzanne
Dec 10, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great glimpse into the world of Asian-American immigrants, and in fact the identity struggles of all immigrants, mothers trying to maintain ties to the culture of their birth, daughters trying to establish their own identities in a new culture.
Wendy
Feb 13, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: coming, of, age, women, china
I really enjoyed this book which makes me wonder why I haven't read more by Amy Tan.
Kay Lu
Apr 02, 2010 Kay Lu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Q1:
I think there is totally different situation between the story and me. My friends and I like to play mah jong and play it for fun during the leisure time or the Chinese New Year but in the story, they play that game to forget the fear and the sadness of the war.

Q11:
I want to know what happened when Jing-mei Woo met her sisters whom she has never seen before and who lived in Shanghai. I think Jing-mei's sisters had good life in China that she could sent Jing-mei money. I want to know how they
Alena Vacková
Nov 19, 2014 Alena Vacková rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and moving - I had watery eyes during the last chapter.
Sonja Buckles
Jan 04, 2016 Sonja Buckles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT!!!
Hoss
Mar 20, 2007 Hoss rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highschool
The powers that be should reconsider putting this book and Woman Warrior on school reading lists. Books like To Kill a Mockingbird and The Color Purple are challenged while this novel rewards the continuing orientalizing of Asian American identities. While I would never advocate censoring this book, if it is taught, I hope educators will interrogate the identities constructed in these novels. I think it’s relevant like Song of the South is relevant--as a cultural Freudian slip.
Celeste
May 27, 2007 Celeste rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: 2007
It confused me a little, and I had to consult the page at the front to keep the characters straight, but it was a really engaging book. It made me examine my own mother/daughter relationship. Tan does an excellent job creating rich and singular characters. This is a good read.
Namiko
It surprised me with how strong their relationships are, a mother and a daughter. I started to think about my relationship with my mom and my daughter.
Aiman
It was a good book, some of the stories were very touching and sad.
Paula T
Paula T rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
robin williams
robin williams rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Linda Digioia
Linda Digioia rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Stephanie Lee
Stephanie Lee rated it it was amazing
Rhiannon Burrell
Rhiannon Burrell rated it really liked it
Lennea
Lennea rated it really liked it
Seana Rasor-Sowell
Seana Rasor-Sowell rated it it was amazing
Sally Witt
Sally Witt marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
  • 1984 (Level 4, Penguin Readers)
  • The Gladiators
  • The Homecoming
  • Neighbors
  • Tales of the North
  • Albert Camus: A Biography
  • Penguin Passnotes: Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre"
  • The Ransom of Russian Art
  • Maeve Binchy: Firefly Summer / Circle of Friends (Omnibus 1)
  • Easy Travel to Other Planets
  • Tracker / Dogsong / Hatchet - A Gary Paulsen Collection
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Southern Daughter: The Life of Margaret Mitchell and the Making of Gone With the Wind
  • Novels by Paulo Coelho: The Alchemist
  • Night by Elie Wiesel (Connect : A Literature/Social Studies Program)
  • The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest
  • Snow Bound
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
Clare West has over twenty years' TEFL classroom experience in the UK and overseas, and has led workshops for teachers in Switzerland, the Netherlands, Greece, and Argentina. For most of her teaching career she was involved with long-stay students on Cambridge examination courses, and engaged in the development of strategies to improve students' reading and writing skills.

She is now a freelance au
More about Clare West...