Start by marking “Amy Tan's the Joy Luck Club” as Want to Read:
Amy Tan's the Joy Luck Club

Amy Tan's the Joy Luck Club

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  568 ratings  ·  20 reviews
- Presents the most important 20th-century criticism on major works from The Odyssey through modern literature- The critical essays reflect a variety of schools of criticism- Contains critical biographies, notes on the contributing critics, a chronology of the author's life, and an index- Introductory essay by Harold Bloom
Published April 1st 2002 by Chelsea House Publications (first published December 19th 2001)

Trina
I found it hard to keep the characters straight until I was a good ways into the book. Even then I sometime had to refer back to the page in the front that reminds you which daughter belongs to which mother. I also found it really difficult to feel really drawn into the characters until the end when it stuck more to the main character and her mother's story. It just felt open ended on so many levels to me. I needed more length to each story!
Renie
This book taught me that I would not like to be Chinese. First of all, everything they say has a double meaning and the whole time I was reading the book, I felt anxiety-filled. Secondly, I don't appreciate how this country allows people to become citizens simply because they deliver a child here....and I really don't appreciate how illegal aliens abuse and flaunt that aspect of the system.
Brittany T
Gosh these ladies had crappy lives
Nou
This was my first Amy Tan book. I read it a long, long time ago, but I remember seeing the movie before I ever read the book. There aren't too many things I'm thankful for that I ever got from my ex, but there are two that I have to give him credit for: our daughter, and introducing me to Amy Tan.
Danyel Armenteros
How I love this book and tale of 8 Chinese women. I visit their stories often. This book really captivated me and makes me cry everytime i read it. It goes to show you that every person has a story. Gosh, I will forever be blessed by this book! The movie is VERY, VERY faithful!!!
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
I had to read this in order to do a paper for a English class in college. As far as it being interesting, some of the points were but I also remember that some of the points where kind of 'stupid'. It was interesting see how another person interpreted her work though.
Nancy
I loved it! I can't wait to read the Bonesetter's Daughter! Amy Tan scratched my itch . LOL! I love books about Oriental people.
Melanee
((shrugging shoulders)) ~ not sure what the hype was about. A couple of pearls of wisdom but that was about it for me...
Blubbyhueyling
It was a heartfelt piece and the experiences shared by Tan were so evident in the Chinese culture.
Lynn
excellent book on audio cd by author...enjoyed her humor and description of life as asian american.
Edith
Better than the movie, I was entranced by the book. The mother daughter theme really comes out.
Noy
One of the most inspiration and humorous book I've read in a long time.
Chan Ling Yap
Loved it. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It reminded me of my own life.
Aditya Sylvana
suatu buku menarik tentang culture shock and intercultural relations.
January
What a good read. I loved the insight of culture in this book.
Lauren
unbelievably depressing and yet i couldn't put it down.
Don
Good stories...interesting insights into Chinese culture.
Clare
kinda boring but otherwise good!
Janie
It is an excellent you must read it.
Lauren Weber
Lauren Weber marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Julie Grothaus Boyer
Julie Grothaus Boyer is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
요섭 양
요섭 양 marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Jessica Nolan
Jessica Nolan is currently reading it
May 21, 2015
Vincent Perez
Vincent Perez marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Nicole Sutliffe
Nicole Sutliffe marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Banna Dunn
Banna Dunn marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
  • Kafka: A Very Short Introduction
  • Short Stories by Jesus: The Enigmatic Parables of a Controversial Rabbi
  • Legacies: A Chinese Mosaic
  • Literary Theory: A Guide for the Perplexed
Bloom is a literary critic, and currently a Sterling Professor of the Humanities at Yale University. Since the publication of his first book in 1959, Bloom has written more than 20 books of literary criticism, several books discussing religion, and one novel. He has edited hundreds of anthologies.
More about Harold Bloom...
Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (Modern Critical Interpretations) Aldous Huxley's Brave New World (Bloom's Guides) Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides) The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages