Start by marking “One by One (Danielle Ross Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
One by One (Danielle Ross Mystery, #1)

One by One (Danielle Ross Mystery #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  16 reviews
One secret links twelve strangers. One secret that could cost them everything. Danielle Ross's life keeps slipping out of control. First she must abandon her education to take over her ill father's floundering detective agency. Then, while pursuing a new case, Dani becomes a victim herself. She awakens in a strange place and finds herself surrounded by eleven other people. ...more
Published June 19th 2000 by Crossway Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about One by One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One by One

Arava
I really enjoyed listening to this on audiobook. A few theological shortcomings, but very interesting characters! I adore Ben Savage, Danielle laid-back and sarcastic employee. Danielle is a great main character, too--sometimes I want to shake her because she's being so mean, but others I'm very proud of her growth. I'm looking forward to hearing about her next adventure in the second book of the series.
Gerry
The story line was really good.
I've never read anything by Gilbert Morris so I don't know if this is typical of him, but it was very religious. I don't really mind that, it just surprised me.
Danielle is a seminary student. She's very caring but at the same time, she was not very personable.
Sharon Easterling
This book was so much fun to read. I enjoyed reading Nancy Drew books growing up and this book reminded me some of those. It was so nice to read a mystery without bad language in it. I can't wait to read the second in the series. Very Good!
Karen Chow
I've read this before. Very Ten Little Indians, aka. And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie). I read it, knowing who the killer was. It was so obvious, of course, the second time around.

I liked Dani Ross and Ben Savage's character development. I didn't like the way all of the victims who died were Christian or became Christian; it was too fairy tale-ish. Still, it is definitely one of Gilbert Morris' more unique novels. None of the typical Morris plot: black sheep turns Christian with some s
Maria M. Elmvang
One of my favourite books which I've read too many times to count. The evangelization does get a bit heavy handed at times perhaps, but it's kept within the concept of the story-line, so I don't think it would be too much - even to a non-Christian.

I know the story well enough by now that I remember most details, so it's fun to see how many clues I can pick up on before the characters themselves do. Unlike many other crime novels the clues are made present to the reader as well, which makes for a
Aspen
I thought it was cheesy and well stupid. I didn't even finish it! I got 7/8 th of the way and just stopped. The plot wasn't that great and it made no sense. But I did really like characters. Dani was awesome and so was the cop dude that was her helper I guess the word is. The thing I hated most about the book was that at the end everybody was killing everybody and everybody was suspicious. I wasted a whole day!!!! Sorry but I wasn't impressed. I love Gilbert Morris! So don't give up on him!
Stacia
I didn't really enjoy the majority of the book. I don't really like the main character and found her to be arrogant. To me, it didn't really read like a mystery should and the first 1/3 was very slow moving and somewhat pointless to the story. The most enjoyable part was the "Here's what happened"-type wrap up. I wouldn't recommend this book at all. I just have a bad habit of finishing books unless they are absolutely unreadable.
Margaret
Listening to this on audio book. Gripping story so far but not the greatest reader. I really liked this book, sort of the "10 little Indians" scenerio with people being bumped off. Liked the plot a lot and will probably listen to another Danielle Ross mystery. I didn't know Gilbert Morris wrote mysteries.
Denise
I have not read a lot of this author but I enjoyed this one. It was a little slow to start but the end was interesting. It was suspenseful trying to figure out who the killer was and how the captives were going to escape. I liked Danielle for the most part, although she seemed talk too often her looks.
Sue
Good mystery but throws alot of religion/christianity into it....to me has nothing to do with the plot line or how it all turns out.....
Kelly
gaping plot holes, continuity issues, no relatability to characters or causes. not impressed at all.
If you are interested in a good Christian mystery series, I highly recommend the Danielle Ross Series!
Tiffany
Interesting mix of creepy mystery and christian preaching. I think his writing improved over time.
Chris Toney
Intersting characters, well told. Slightly implausible but an excellent story never the less.
Suz
Too many religion references....
Rachel Janke
This is a great series.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Elizabeth Kunkel
Elizabeth Kunkel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Julie Ann
Julie Ann marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Patricialogan8
Patricialogan8 marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Debbie Lester
Debbie Lester marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Ellis Sims
Ellis Sims marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • Silk (Heart of India, #1)
  • The Rosary
  • Taken on Trust: An Autobiography
  • Ghost Writer
  • Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • Dread Champion (Chelsea Adams, #2)
  • Unforgotten (The Michelli Family Series #2)
  • Castles: Maidens Meet Their Knights
  • Deep Blue
  • Riptide (Julesburg Mystery Series #2)
  • Blind Justice
The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (The House of Winslow) Sword of Truth The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow) The Captive Bride (The House of Winslow, #2) The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (The House of Winslow)