Start by marking “The Exiles (The Creole #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exiles (The Creole #1)

The Exiles (The Creoles #1)

Book one of The Creoles Series, captivating novels from bestselling authors Gilbert and Lynn Morris, introduces Chantel Fontaine. Readers follow Chantel through the streets and swamps of Louisiana as she falls in love, faces the loss of both her parents, and searches for the baby sister she thought was lost forever.

The culture of the citizens of nineteenth-century New Orle
Published March 11th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Exiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exiles

Shantelle
I think this is one of my favorite books by Gilbert Morris. At times, the writing style or such reminded me of his Bonnets and Bugles series, which I loved!! Of course, this book is written by his daughter Lynn as well.

Anyway, it was a lovely read all in all, centering mostly on a rich young girl named Chantel. I don't know what to say to describe it, but its a sweet, thoughtful story.

There was a few things I didn't like so much. Like all the death. And young Chantel being told that her fathe
Grace Bittle
Apr 04, 2017 Grace Bittle rated it really liked it
Well I found it sort of dull in the beginning and the middle.
But by the end it was exciting again.
Jeri
Feb 20, 2017 Jeri rated it did not like it
I borrowed this book from my local library due to its New Orleans subject matter. I, like others, simply could not finish the book.

Despite the authors obviously being well published, I found the writing severely lacking. The description was minimal and obvious, and the dialogue left me cringing. Not every book has to be a gem to be enjoyable, but the actions and dialogue just weren't believable to me.

I do not recommend this book.
Bethany
I was so excited about this book and it's subject - historical New Orleans and Louisiana, plus a Christian-fiction message. But just a chapter or two in, I realized that the writing was just lacking. It zipped through important events without any description of the lovely setting or even the main characters. Got through about 80 pages before I realized it was not going to get any better. Didn't finish.
Christin
Sep 18, 2013 Christin rated it it was amazing
Since the Cheney Duvall, MD series is my all time favorite series, I was really excited to read this series. Alas, it's no Cheney Duvall but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved the New Orleans setting, the time period, the character development, the gospel-centered message--it sucked me in! It's a good thing I sat waiting for jury duty for about 6 hours because I could not put it down. Can't wait to finish the series!!
Christin
Jan 30, 2014 Christin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nae
Jan 24, 2015 Nae rated it really liked it
I love books about Lousianna and N'Awlins, and this one did not disappoint in that aspect. The storyline is a bit on the been there, done that, line, but then this book was written a good many years ago so I can deal with that. I enjoyed it enough to now move on the second in the series so that is a good thing :)
Hosanna
I am sure that this would be an amazing book for adults, but honestly, I quit after the first chapter. I could tell that there was some adult content coming up in the book. ***I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS BOOK FOR YOUNG ADULTS.*** I was really looking forward to reading this book, but because it was not for my age range, I sadly had to put it away. I may read this in the future, when I am older.
Erin
Jun 04, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
This book is decent, but it lacked the pull and electric storyline I expected from Gilbert Morris. It seems to be much more simply written than some of his other works, but I would still recommend it.
Connie
Jul 06, 2015 Connie rated it liked it
another great book by the Morris family. Eagerly looking forward to reading the entire Creole series
Sharon Brewer
Sep 11, 2015 Sharon Brewer rated it it was amazing
This was my first Gilbert Morris book, and I loved it. I plan to read the whole series. I recommend this to anyone who likes a good story.
Jami
Mar 21, 2008 Jami rated it really liked it
This is the book cover I was looking for. This was an easy, clean read. I enjoyed the story, even if is was a bit predictable.
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Sharyn
Sharyn rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2009
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2009
Jennifer Thomas
Jennifer Thomas rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 17, 2011
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was ok
Nov 26, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2013
Tara Leonardt
Tara Leonardt rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Alethea
Alethea rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Shawn Armstrong
Shawn Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Nancy Seal
Nancy Seal rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What drew you to this book? 1 3 Jun 13, 2012 11:33AM
  • There is a Season (Cheney and Shiloh: The Inheritance #3)
  • The Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying
  • Seasons of the Heart/Four Complete Novels in One Book
  • A Man Called Outlaw
  • The Shiloh Legacy Complete Set (#1-3)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • Threads of Silk (The Silk House, #3)
  • Pargeters
  • Mam'zelle Guillotine
  • The Christkindl's Gift (Culdee Creek Christmas #1)
  • An Ancient Strife (Caledonia, #2)

The Creoles (4 books)
  • The Immortelles (The Creole #2)
  • The Alchemy (The Creole #3)
  • The Tapestry (The Creole #4)