The Homeplace

The Homeplace (Singing River #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Lanie took out her journal and dated it April 12, 1928. She started the habit of writing down everything that happened to her when she was no more than eight years old, and now she had six journals completely full. She thought about the prize at school, almost prayed to win, but somehow she could not. 'God, ' she finally said, 'I'll do my best, and if you'll help me, that'...more
Published August 7th 2005 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 2005)

Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenBewitching Love Potions & Charms by Raven Tempest
Cover Couples
271st out of 687 books — 539 voters
A Surrendered Heart by Tracie PetersonAn Unexpected Love by Tracie PetersonThese Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Long Winter by Laura Ingalls WilderThe First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Historical Fiction Book Covers
60th out of 102 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Louise
Phenomenal novel!!!! This is the first book by Gilbert Morris that I've read and I was so impressed. There are three other books in this series of four: "The Dream", "The Miracle", and "The Courtship" which I've just ordered. I couldn't put this book down and was shocked when I went to turn the page and found there was no more story, the book had ended! Thankfully, I realized there are more novels, as I cannot continue on until I find out what happens in this saga about the Freeman family!

"Lanie...more
Mary
So the main character really isn't much to talk about. She's just an annoying perfect girl who never develops any personality. A total dud. No matter how much you read, she never does one thing to make her seem likeable or real. Also, the dialogue in this book is repetitive and basic. There isn't any great writing skill shown, and the dialogue just doesn't read well. The redeeming point, and the reason I bought all for books, is the secondary characters. Brother Ryan, Maeva, Davis, Annie, Aunt K...more
Katie
This book got 5 stars almost from the get-go!! The Homeplace grabbed me from the first few pages, Lanie’s character is instantly likable and her selfless attitude is evident from the very beginning. The whole atmosphere of the family was refreshingly enjoyable; they were a very close-knit family.

Since my family is much like that – close-knit – I enjoyed reading about how much they came together when the trials began to come upon them. The writing was filled with so much emotion that I often foun...more
Loraine
Gilbert Morris has once again given us a great work of historical fiction. Fourteen year old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope Arkansas has high hopes for the future. A bright student, a great helper at home, a faithful follower of Christ, and a budding writer of poetry until tragedy strikes her family and the depression hits the entire US. Will Lanie be able to keep her family together through all the troubles that face them?

I loved the small town feel of this book. The characters were wonderful...more
Lola4
I really loved this book about the troubles of a young teen having to raise her siblings and deal with a variety of adult pressures during the Depression, having nothing to rely on except her own integrity, the kindness of neighbors, and ultimately the mercy and provision of God, who is the only one who can bring it all together and work it to the good. I have a particular interest in this period of history and have read much fiction and non-fiction about it, so I couldn't help but enjoy this bo...more
Bettina
Did not hold my interest at all. Could not finish.
Don
Mar 30, 2014 Don added it
I liked it.
Cheryal
Okay this is a dang frustrating book. I just found out it was a series which explains why you are reading along and the book just stops. Stupid book. AND all that after I tolerated the lengthy preaching that was in it. I enjoy Christian romance books as a rule, but this one was a long sermon and reminded me of my days in Texas as a protestant. Holy cow. In all fairness, I was touched by the faith of the kids envolved and thier antics. And no, I won't read the second one, too much drama.
Heather
Overall, I liked this book. The characters were fantastic; quirky and engaging. However, I thought the story was a little...uneven. I liked the book best when its tone was light, but many of the events in it were very serious. I really enjoyed Lanie teaching her brothers and sister and how characters talk about praying. Do be aware that this book is the first in a series, so some major plot points will not be resolved by the end of the book.
Krissie
1928 Lanie's mother expecting
Michelle
A great story about a family of five children, where the mother dies, the father has a tragedy shaken him and Lanie the oldest daughter must take care of her family anyway she can~ but to honor her parents and glorify God! The Almighty allows this family to go through some difficulties, but not without Him and His promises!
An excellent story written, a help for the christian to go by faith and trust in Him alone in life!
Melinda
This is a wholesome book. It was really slow for me at first but picked up. If you don't like the talk of God this is not the book for you. It doesn't scream any particular religion, which I like. It just has a general talk of prayer and shows how people are the answer to a lot of our prayers. It is cheesy at times but cheesy usually means someone is trying to be good. Over all it is a decent book.
Jeri

"had promise but was way too ""religious"" for me ….As the year 1928 begins, fourteen-year-old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fairhope, Arkansas, has bright hopes for the future. Her father has launched a new business, and her mother is expecting her fifth baby. Lanie has dreams of going to college and being a writer. Then tragedy strikes....." Would not read this author again.
Jan Frew
This book had potential. The story line was interesting and the setting was an interesting time in America. But it fell flat in character development and left me not really caring what happened to them. I did not like that the book ended without actually resolving the issues and problems, just kind of open-ended, I guess so you read the next book. Not a fan.
Judy
A Christian book, a free download for my Kindle, had a good story and it was well written. My only "complaint" is that the heroine, Lanie, was just a little bit too "perfect." She was certainly likeable and not sappy-sweet -- but almost as good as an angel on earth. Yet, overall, I liked her so much that I want to read more about her and her family.

Mikaylah Brooke Hansen
The Singing River Series by Gilbert Morris is everything! Touching, heartwarming, classy, inspiring, entirely interesting, and much more!

LANIE FREEMAN is an ideal role-model and amazingly realistic!

You must read this book... it is amazing for all ages!

Reccomended for age group (15-30!)
Tanya
Dec 28, 2012 Tanya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This book is about 5 siblings during the beginning of the depression. After losing her mother during childbirth and her father is imprisoned Laine works hard to care for her family. We see her as a 14 year old highschool freshman mature into a 17 year old young woman who managers her household.
Ratforce
Gilbert Morris is known for his faith-based and heartwarming historical fiction. He has written dozens of historical series in different locations, but you may want to start with this book, which is the first in the Singing River series and is set during the Great Depression.
Rebecca Rash
The Singing River series are my favorite books from Gilbert Morris. The only thing that bothers me is the authors tendency to use names, events, or even lines from some of his other published books.
Lillie
Reading about people living during the Depression gave me a new appreciation for what they went through—and made me pray that we won't be going through the same thing.
Holly Mace
This is pretty good so far. It's about a 14-year-old girl in 1928 in Arkansas. Some aspects of the story seem out of place time-wise, but it's a pretty good read so far.
Meadow
I LOVED it. It was so sweet, yet sad. Lanie was a real go-getter. She is a model for what young women should be today. Willing to help and set aside desires for family.
Michelle
This first book of the series really pulls you in. It is hard to wait till the next times I can open the book to read more! It is another great book by Morris.
Amy McIlhaney
Was not sure at first because I loved the House of Winslow series. But I quickly fell in love with these characters. Great series!
Doug
Terrific book about family sruggles during the depression and how a community can come togther and support each other.
Nita
I love this series. I'm not a big fan of his, but this series made me cry and I can't wait to read them all.
Sheri
It took a long time for me to get into this book, but once i did i couldn't put it down.
Katie  Wornson
I love how he writes and I love the story, but this is one that's going to have to wait.
Maile
I really enjoyed the Singing River series. It's clean but has an intriguing story line
Lisa
This has a great story line, I just didn't like the author's writing style.
  • Sushi for One?
  • Rorey's Secret (Country Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Real Enemy
  • Saving Sailor: A Quirky Girl, A Faithful Dog, and One Unforgettable Summer (A.J., #1)
  • Daisy Chain
  • Fireworks
  • Robin and Ruby
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Exposure
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • Catwalk (On the Runway, #2)
  • The Sweetgum Ladies Knit for Love (Sweetgum Knit #2)
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Indivisible
  • The Christmas Lamp
The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (The House of Winslow) The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow) Sword of Truth The Captive Bride (The House of Winslow, #2) Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)