Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History

Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes: The Assassins Who Changed History

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  10 reviews
“A history of the twentieth century punctuated by gunshots. . . . An exciting account.” --Sunday Telegraph (UK)

Exploding telephones, pipe-guns, bullets made of teeth, aspirin explosives, cobra-venom darts, a rifle that shoots around corners, exploding clams, samurai swords, karate chops, poisoned umbrellas, and a fuel-laden light aircraft. Sometimes even a regular gun. The...more
Published August 5th 2008 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves, Jackals, and Foxes

Theresa
Not so much about the assassins as it is about the assassinations and their effect on the world. Apparently, an attempt on Truman's life was nearly successful, there really was an umbrella of death, genocide in Rwanda was sparked when the preseident's wife had him killed and blamed it on the other guys, and Uday Hussein was a sadistic psycho. Overall, an interesting read though on occasion, the author writes as those certain things are fact when they are merely suspected so it would have been ni...more
Melissa Rochelle
Dec 22, 2008 Melissa Rochelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: abandoned, nonfiction
If you're at all interested in the world we live in and how it came to be this way...then read this book. It's crazy to read about all of these people that are murdered for absolutely insane reasons, or for NO reason whatsoever. AND if you like statistics, this book has 'em! Want to know what day is most popular for a head of state to be assassinated, it's Friday!

While I didn't finish the book, I only read the first 19 chapters (of 36) it's not because I didn't like it...it's that reading about...more
Brittany W.
It started off interesting but I quickly lost interest after that.
Rachel
It's hard to rate this book because it was a good and interesting book but I had to keep put it down a couple times because it got repetitive with account after account and there's only so many accounts of killing important figures I can take in one sitting. 3.5 stars because it definitely was a good read. One of those books that's good for reading 4 or 5 chapters while waiting for something, then picking it up a couple days later and continuing.
Vince
Excellent book although it's odd that the author has never met the possibility of a conspiracy theory that he could embrace. He devotes around 7 pages per assasination, just enough for the facts and the aftermath. the author has come to the conclusion that political murder does frequently achieve it's desired results. A good, brisk read.
Tim
I learned a fair amount about very famous assassinations. The stories were at times hard to keep straight, but I think that in part is due to the number of assassinations in warring countries. An interesting change for true crime readers who need a break from serial killers.
Julie
Another three and a half star rating. This was interesting, and exhaustively researched, but not as compelling as I had hoped. I've had such good luck this summer with my non-fiction choices, too.
Aaron Murray
Historically interesting, but a lot of the gore is done in bad taste and sensationalized.
Penny
This book can get a little clinical, but it's still a good read.
Papajack
Interesting point of view.
Linda Liu
Linda Liu marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Nick
Nick added it
Apr 14, 2014
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Heather Erickson
Heather Erickson marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Sally
Sally added it
Nov 13, 2013
Carolanne Layman
Carolanne Layman marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Liz
Liz added it
Feb 08, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Unthinkable: The Shocking Scandal of Britain's Trafficked Children How to Kill Unthinkable: The Shocking Scandal of Britain's Trafficked Children Diamond Geezers Criminal London: A Sightseer's Guide to the Capital of Crime