Start by marking “The Black Swan (Daughters of England, #16)” as Want to Read:
The Black Swan (Daughters of England, #16)

The Black Swan (Daughters of England #16)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  533 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Lucie Lansdon
Mysterious and romantic sequel to 'The Changeling', continuing the Cornwall saga. When Lucie Landson's father is assassinated in front of his London home, young Lucie is the only witness. Her testimony leads to the arrest, conviction and hanging of an Irish terrorist. But the trauma follows her throughout her life when another disaster - the death of her fianc
Published April 26th 1990 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Swan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Swan

Jane Stewart
Good story, but it didn’t excite me. I needed something more special or different about the characters.

Lucie was bland, passive, trusting, naive. Her friend said Lucie had a mind like a lawyer. But lawyers are smarter about analyzing things and people, not trusting as easily as Lucie did. Her lawyer-like-ness was speaking calmly with reason.

If you look at an outline of the plot with events, twists, and the roles of characters, it’s very good. But the filling in of words for 300 pages was ploddin
April Hochstrasser
I enjoyed this undemanding book about good and bad characters in the 1700's in England. Although it did seem to go on a bit, I was never tempted to skip to the end to get it over with. I really got into the sedate main character and her opposite in every way, the secondary character. I didn't see the ending coming and it was a surprise, although I knew something was up with the brother and sister team, but I just didn't know what.
Dvorah Ophir
i love to read and reread victoria holt and philippa carr books(the same author but sea writes as victoria holt gothic romance and historical gothic romance as philippa carr of that the first story is set in the time of henry the 8 and the last is second world war)
this one is set in the 19 century and is one i read now twice and liked it even better the second time.
victria holt is my tea and chocolates.
Re-read it for the nth time - love this series. This book has an especially frightening twist - even knowing it is coming. Great Gothic atmosphere and even though you can kind of guess that there's something odd about the siblings . . . until the very end, you just don't know what it is. Another well done book in the Daughters of England series.
Ender
I think this was very interesting. I picked out because I was in a mood for romance but, its not so romancey. Its different from anything I would usual read, but it puts me in a thoughtful mood. But it did kept my interest and I will forever be paranoid of black swans. ^_^
Kavita
Perhaps I have read too many of Carr's books, but I was able to guess whodunit by the middle of the book. Still, it was a fun read, and enjoyable.
Marlene
I don't care what it is, or what penname she writes under, I love anything by Victoria Holt aka Phillipa Carr.
Hayley
If you like clean, cheesy, romance novels then you will like anything by Victoria Holt or her pseudonyms.
Tammie Elliott
book 16 in the series
Nikita Italia
what can i say.., fabulous
Katie Anderson
Katie Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
ValerieDomina
ValerieDomina marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Jun 10, 2015
  • The Road to Paradise Island
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Philippa Carr...

Daughters of England (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • Lament for a Lost Lover (Daughters of England, #5)
  • The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)
  • The Song of the Siren (Daughters of England, #7)
  • Will You Love Me in September (Daughters of England, #8)
  • The Adulteress (Daughters of England, #9)
  • Knave of Hearts (Daughters of England, #10)
The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1) Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4) The Witch from the Sea (Daughters of England, #3) The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2) The Love Child (Daughters of England #6)