Start by marking “The Armour of Contempt” as Want to Read:
The Armour of Contempt

The Armour of Contempt (Gaunt's Ghosts #10)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,060 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Imperial crusade, including Gaunt's Ghosts, are sent back to the planet Gereon to join forces with the Imperial defenders and liberate the planet from Chaos. However, the brutality of the 'liberation' pitches Gaunt into opposition with his commanders, who believe victory must be achieved at any price, no matter how cruel.

Published December 12th 2006 by Games Workshop (first published October 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Armour of Contempt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Armour of Contempt

Andrew Ziegler
Abnett's books flow over me like an unstoppable river of action, characters full of pathos, and a world dripping in grim reality. Every Marine oriented book, or Guard book I have read drives home the fact that the soldiers of the Imperium all plan on dying in the service of the Emporer...that there will never be peace or time after war. All they can do is enjoy those times between, or their service, therein lies their humanity.

The lost series is caked in this humanity. This book, the return to...more
Peter
Mhoram Freeman
Gereon resists.

Gaunt and his Ghosts are returning to Gereon, and this time, they bring not assassination, but liberation. The fifth army has been diverted to re-capture Gereon in an audacious plan by Warmaster Macaroth to improve morale by reclaiming worlds that were previously judged beyond salvation. Gaunt's mission is to make contact with the Gereon Resistance cells and help coordinate their role in the liberation. Meanwhile, the newly-inducted Dalin Criid learns to his horror that he will no...more
Richard Tran
Martin
The Armour of Contempt

The Fifth Crusade Army, led by Lord-General Van Voytz, finally advances to reclaim Gereon from the forces of Chaos after over two thousand days of brutal occupation. The majority of the Crusade force is deployed to assault the coastline fortifications known as K'ethdrac'tt Shet Magir, an action which the newly-inducted Dalin Criid participates in as part of an RIP (Retraining, Indoctrination and Punishment) detail. Half of the novel follows Dalin's experiences in basic trai...more
Simon
Rather disappointing I thought. Bitty. Not much story. And the now cliched rather abrupt ending that leaves a major character dead that is becoming a hallmark of the series.

First one of these for a while I've not loved though.

It just sort of... ends on a pretty massive downer on all fronts.
Bruce Robertson
Mixed feelings about this book.

I read it immediately after His Last Command, so perhaps I still felt a little apprehensive going into this one. Like the previous book, the exploits of the Tanith are gripping and so vividly protrayed you almost want to duck at times. The addition of a new major character is done in an intriguing way that really shows up the callousness of the Imperial way of war.

Overall I enjoyed it, but (for some reason I can't put my finger on), this is definitely not one of my...more
Christian
The Inquisition and Commisariat accompany the liberation forces to Geryeon which means that the whole planet and its citizenry is condemned to an almost impossible level of scrutiny for Chaos taint. You can see why worlds would rebel and try to declare independence. A major character falls in such an undramatic way that it is bitter sweet but life in the Imperial Guard is like that. One moment you're alive and the next you're just dead and nothing you could have done could have stopped it.
Tirant
Aug 20, 2007 Tirant rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gaunt fans, 40k fans
Shelves: justfinished
Well, back in to the breach my freinds. Gaunt is back in command of the 1st and only (what happened to it being called 81st 1st?) and back on the world which seperated him from his unit in the first place.

Not a happy ending, and not the best example of this series. The introduction of a new character in a provisional regiment was interesting though, as well as the depiction of a possessed tank.
Craig
Dec 04, 2007 Craig rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Warhammer 40,000 or Mil. Sci. Fi.
Shelves: mcnerdigan-s-pub
Dan Abnett does it again. The investment of dead main characters in the past books of the series pays off in spades as Gaunt's Ghosts return to Gereon with a massive invasion force and you KNOW no one is safe. And no one is. But also, dead doesn't ALWAYS mean dead.

The writing is sometimes trite or formulaic, as usual, but it's worth it. Carries the series forward in admirable fashion.
Michael A
The book follows shortly after the events of "His Last Command", and I felt that it's actually one of Abnett's weaker books in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I gave it three stars because I really wasn't all that drawn in to the story, and felt that the author added a number of events just to add shock value. Hopefully the next few in the series will prove better reading.
Patrik Olterman
Another fantastic Gaunt's Ghosts novel, war gets more Gruesome than ever as the Ghosts are part of the liberation of Gereon. The best part of the book is that we get to follow Dalin Criid as he goes through basic training and enters the war for the first time.
Sinister
Not a bad Gaunt's Ghosts book. I found myself not giving a bloodthirster fart about Dalin Criid (which half the book is dedicated too) but it wasn't a waste of time.
Next!
Omar El
ONe of the best action military novels i ve ever read
Steve
My favorite of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels.
Peter Kohut
Gritty and great!
Plaguedoctor
Plaguedoctor marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Isaac
Isaac added it
Oct 17, 2014
Tobin
Tobin marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Belinda Gunn
Belinda Gunn marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
  • Duty Calls
  • Angels of Darkness
  • The First Heretic
  • Storm of Iron
  • Wolfblade
  • Emperor's Mercy
  • Dark Apostle
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Age of Darkness