Start by marking “Smart Love” as Want to Read:
Smart Love

Smart Love

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Smart Love shows how putting a child's inner happiness first, not his outward behavior, actually will make hima better behaved, and in the long run, more confident and responsible.
Published May 1st 2001 by Harvard Common Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Love

nicebutnubbly
I wanted to really like this book. I want to really like this approach! My kid is working with the Smart Love people (they were the only therapist we found in our town who was recommended and taking patients) and I really want this to work for him.

I had to grit my teeth listening to this and remind myself over and over and over to be open-minded. I failed, I guess. I couldn't even listen all the way through (so take that as salt when reading this review).

I like their general goals - love and kin
Alba
Jul 12, 2010 Alba rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All parents looking for positive discipline.
I read this book probably 4-5 years ago before I knew anything about attachment parenting. I remember liking it and thinking it was the best parenting book I had read thus far. I have meant to go back and re-read it now that I have adopted the attachment parenting style.
Amy
At times a book cannot be adequately assessed immediately after an initial reading. Such a book for me was Smart Love. The book's basic premise is that children learn to crave inner unhappiness if they do not receive unconditional love from their parents. At the time I read it, I considered much of the parenting advice sound but Pieper's evaluation of children's misbehavior as nearly always stemming from inner unhappiness seemed ridiculous. While I still don't go to her extreme, I believe it to ...more
Kim Clement
I randomly checked this book out of the library about 9 years ago. It planted some of my best parenting seeds. The main idea is that when a child does something wrong, what is the best way to teach them? Is it to "punish" by showing disfavor or or putting in a corner (they were against time-out but I happen to like lime-out)? Their answer is no, being punitive is not the best teacher. They offer wonderful alternatives. Some more realistic than others.

A book that develops this idea more fully an
Blanche_in_Lakeview
My son Lukas goes to the Smart Love Preschool (Toddler Explorations Program) on the North Side of Chicago. The preschool is founded on the philosophy laid out here by the Piepers. It is a fast, easy read but is PACKED with good information! This book has great advice for those parents who are unsure of how to deal with a "temperamental toddler" or how to interpret various moods/signals of babies in general. Discusses how to do "loving regulation," and how to basically help you to raise kids in a ...more
Lubitsa Marcheva
Защото децата са любов!
Yana
Ценна книга, която хвърля светлина върху различните етапи на израстване на детето. Дава практични насоки как да се справим в различни ситуации без да попада в модела "направи това и ще стане това". Не дава готови рецепти и оставя място за личността.

Имам забележки в частта с отбиването на детето. Съвета им детето да се отбие на годинка е неадекватен и малко противоречи на цялостата им концепция за напътствие съобразено с нуждите на детето.
Annie
This is a must for parents. It dispels the myth that the twos have to be terrible and provides moms and dads with the confidence to parent with--not against--your instincts. It is backed up by decades of experience by this husband and wife team of psychiatrists.
Amy Edwards
Discipline, not punishment. This is a great book for all parents who want to help their children learn self-discipline, in a loving (but not lenient) way.
Spencer
Sep 25, 2009 Spencer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
This is one of the best parenting books I've ever read, helps me understand how a child develops better.
Tiffany
really good for learning how kids need us to act like responsible adults!
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
May 13, 2015
Zintle Mpumlwana
Zintle Mpumlwana marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Rocio Pimentel
Rocio Pimentel marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Antoniq Zdravkova
Antoniq Zdravkova marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Patti Mosier
Patti Mosier marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Petya
Petya marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Dilyana St
Dilyana St marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Bara'a
Bara'a marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Maria Lupanova
Maria Lupanova marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ivanka Pavlova
Ivanka Pavlova marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
20339
I just published my first children’s book, Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream! I am the co-author with William J. Pieper, M.D. of the bestselling parenting book: Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child (reprinted by Smart Love Press, 2011: www.smartlovepress.com). We also co-authored the popular adult self-help book, Addicted to Unhappiness (McGraw-Hi ...more
More about Martha Heineman Pieper...
Addicted to Unhappiness: Free Yourself from Moods and Behaviors That Undermine Relationships, Work, and the Life You Want Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream! Intrapsychic Humanism: An Introduction to a Comprehensive Psychology and Philosophy of Mind