Start by marking “Smart Love” as Want to Read:
Smart Love

Smart Love

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Smart Love shows how putting a child's inner happiness first, not his outward behavior, actually will make hima better behaved, and in the long run, more confident and responsible.
Published May 1st 2001 by Harvard Common Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Smart Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smart Love

nicebutnubbly
Apr 04, 2014 nicebutnubbly rated it did not like it
I wanted to really like this book. I want to really like this approach! My kid is working with the Smart Love people (they were the only therapist we found in our town who was recommended and taking patients) and I really want this to work for him.

I had to grit my teeth listening to this and remind myself over and over and over to be open-minded. I failed, I guess. I couldn't even listen all the way through (so take that as salt when reading this review).

I like their general goals - love and kin
Susan
Jun 05, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
I dunno.

This book kind of threw me for a parenting loop. Its philosophy is that, if a child is misbehaving, he/she has "inner unhappiness." If a parent disciplines her, her unhappiness grows even greater. The authors promote nurture over nature 100%, even saying that a child's personality is created by the actions of the parents. So: if your child has a difficult personality, it's because of his/her inner unhappiness, which YOU caused! Sheesh. Talk about a guilt trip.

They totally reject the idea
Alba
Jul 12, 2010 Alba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All parents looking for positive discipline.
I read this book probably 4-5 years ago before I knew anything about attachment parenting. I remember liking it and thinking it was the best parenting book I had read thus far. I have meant to go back and re-read it now that I have adopted the attachment parenting style.
Amy
Mar 14, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting-family
At times a book cannot be adequately assessed immediately after an initial reading. Such a book for me was Smart Love. The book's basic premise is that children learn to crave inner unhappiness if they do not receive unconditional love from their parents. At the time I read it, I considered much of the parenting advice sound but Pieper's evaluation of children's misbehavior as nearly always stemming from inner unhappiness seemed ridiculous. While I still don't go to her extreme, I believe it to ...more
Kim Clement
May 20, 2013 Kim Clement rated it really liked it
I randomly checked this book out of the library about 9 years ago. It planted some of my best parenting seeds. The main idea is that when a child does something wrong, what is the best way to teach them? Is it to "punish" by showing disfavor or or putting in a corner (they were against time-out but I happen to like lime-out)? Their answer is no, being punitive is not the best teacher. They offer wonderful alternatives. Some more realistic than others.

A book that develops this idea more fully an
Blanche_in_Lakeview
My son Lukas goes to the Smart Love Preschool (Toddler Explorations Program) on the North Side of Chicago. The preschool is founded on the philosophy laid out here by the Piepers. It is a fast, easy read but is PACKED with good information! This book has great advice for those parents who are unsure of how to deal with a "temperamental toddler" or how to interpret various moods/signals of babies in general. Discusses how to do "loving regulation," and how to basically help you to raise kids in a ...more
Lubitsa Marcheva
Защото децата са любов!
Yana
Dec 30, 2014 Yana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ценна книга, която хвърля светлина върху различните етапи на израстване на детето. Дава практични насоки как да се справим в различни ситуации без да попада в модела "направи това и ще стане това". Не дава готови рецепти и оставя място за личността.

Имам забележки в частта с отбиването на детето. Съвета им детето да се отбие на годинка е неадекватен и малко противоречи на цялостата им концепция за напътствие съобразено с нуждите на детето.
Annie
Feb 03, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
This is a must for parents. It dispels the myth that the twos have to be terrible and provides moms and dads with the confidence to parent with--not against--your instincts. It is backed up by decades of experience by this husband and wife team of psychiatrists.
Amy Edwards
Discipline, not punishment. This is a great book for all parents who want to help their children learn self-discipline, in a loving (but not lenient) way.
Spencer
Sep 25, 2009 Spencer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents
This is one of the best parenting books I've ever read, helps me understand how a child develops better.
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
really good for learning how kids need us to act like responsible adults!
Bernadette Porter
Bernadette Porter is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Ritz
Ritz rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Anichukwu Godwin
Anichukwu Godwin marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Karen Ebert
Karen Ebert rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Debra Trujillo reyna
Debra Trujillo reyna marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Marwa Eldawy
Marwa Eldawy is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2016
Azita
Azita rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
SILAS S.
SILAS S. marked it as to-read
toni daphne jones
toni daphne jones rated it it was amazing
Petya
Petya added it
Jennifer Blotkamp
Jennifer Blotkamp rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Blake Lunt
Blake Lunt rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2015
Rita
Rita rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Justme
Justme is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2015
Dianne Lippman
Dianne Lippman marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline: The 7 Basic Skills for Turning Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Aware Baby
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
  • Family Traditions
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • Raising Confident Girls: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting Pregnancy Organizer
  • Parenting for a Peaceful World
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • The Attachment Connection: Parenting a Secure and Confident Child Using the Science of Attachment Theory
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • A Smarter Way to Learn JavaScript: The new approach that uses technology to cut your effort in half
20339
I just published my first children’s book, Mommy, Daddy, I Had a Bad Dream! I am the co-author with William J. Pieper, M.D. of the bestselling parenting book: Smart Love: The Comprehensive Guide to Understanding, Regulating, and Enjoying Your Child (reprinted by Smart Love Press, 2011: www.smartlovepress.com). We also co-authored the popular adult self-help book, Addicted to Unhappiness (McGraw-Hi ...more
More about Martha Heineman Pieper...