The Tick: The Naked City

The Tick: The Naked City

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Bulging muscles, immense jaw, and a battle cry of "Spoon!"--it's none other than The Tick, a strange and seemingly invulnerable force for good in the world. A thoroughly enjoyable parody of superhero comics, this book offers a complete re-telling of all The Tick's adventures in The City. Color illustrations throughout.
Published June 1st 1996 by Marlowe & Company (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Tick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tick

StoryTellerShannon
Tale of a maladjusted superhero who is invincible to most things and serves as a comedic element at times to the other characters. One of the strengths of this novel is the humor, especially in the latter half of the story when he saved a girl named Oedipus from not so great ninjas. This is much more about the in jokes than the action. Tick even gets to irritate Superman to the point where he tries to kill Tick. An animated series was spun off of this back in the day.

ARTWORK: B; CHARACTERS/DIAL...more
Charles
Stuff I Read – The Tick Naked City Review

Most of my memories of The Tick come from the cartoon that ran in the Nineties, which I must say is considerably different than the comic. Not in a bad way, really, but in a way that makes the comics a bit more complicated and conflicting than the show, which is much more a sort of goofy thing that glorifies most of the ridiculous super hero clichés without actually criticizing them. Sure, Tick is a huge idiot in the show, but he’s a heroic idiot, always...more
Shelley
When I picked this up tonight, I hadn't read this for...12 years? More? From way back when I was discovering how much better Eudora was to PINE and still giggling at "fingering" people online (OK, that's still funny). Yeah. Long time.

It's still hilarious. Charmingly dated, insanely funny and full of 80s and 90s comics in-jokes. What's not to love?!
Phillip
I've read this book multiple times and I'm reminded each time how much darker the original Tick was in comparison to the cartoon. Regardless, it remains one of my favorite reads. I just wish I could get my hands on more of it, but alas that has repeatedly turned out to be a too expensive of a proposition for me.
Steff
This was my first experience with The Tick comics, I recently watched the live action show and that's what got me interested. It was awesome and full of humor, the Tick is really a clueless superhero. But he's still prepared to fight wrongdoers and super villains.
Sydne
Jan 09, 2008 Sydne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spoons.
Recommended to Sydne by: Mrs. Cotton's book collection.
Back in my childhood, the Tick was a hero to me.
Mainly because he LOVES spoons. That's pretty much all I talked about.

I love the Tick.

My favorite super hero, next to Dracula.
Jerimi
Laughed myself silly, then loaned it to my roommate because not knowing what was so funny was driving her crazy. She read it in one night, and I could hear her giggling.
Seth
I give it 5 stars for being one of the most humorous graphic novels I've read. You almost expect to find Mel Brooks name as a contributor to the story.
Mark
Goodness, what a delight. I'm hardly unbiased since I loved the 1990s cartoon so much, but The Tick is great and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.
Chris
Avoid the countless, waterd-down spin-offs - the orginal tick is priceless, brilliant comic parody. Spoooooon! Not in the face, not in the face!
stacy
Not in the face, not in the face!

Really? Is there any better hero's catch phrase than that? I think not!
Robert
Jun 24, 2009 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes The Tick
"The City calls to me... It cries to me of it's need."
Virginia
Pure and utter genius.
Aaron Reisberg
Somehow I missed the comic and animated series growing up. In college I saw a few episodes of the live-action Patrick Warburton series, which were quite funny. A trip to Half Price Books and I stumbled across this book, and, wow.

Back to the beginning: this book collects the very first six issues (as opposed to the other first six issues?) of The Tick, in all his madness. A great parody of superheroes, as well as late '80s/early '90s pop culture phenomena, such as fast food mascots, rampant comme...more
Rosa
Love the Superman and Electra parodies and getting to see how Arthur and the Tick first met. Glad watching the live action tv show on Netflix inspired me to read this.
jacky
Sep 11, 2008 jacky marked it as to-read
This cartoon show came out when I was in high school and I loved it. I wish they aired them on some channel. I never knew there was an original before the show though until I was browsing another users shelves.

This was my 911th book which I realized after was added on 9/11 (08). Weird.
Michael Wilson
I loved the TV series and the same over-the-top speechifying and satire about everything related to our favorite superheroes like secret identities, the fierceness (and chronic overuse of) ninjas, and great villain names and motivations. The Tick is sheer awesomeness!
Paul
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON !!!!!

Crazy fun! And sometimes that's exactly what the body and soul needs!

...and then Edlund went and commercialized the whole damned thing.
(but honestly, even with the commercialization of it, it was still darned good fun)
Robin
Pretty good beginning story that I never knew existed until I found it at a thrift shop. By the last section it was already transitioning into regular comic book form and already not quite as cool, but the whole introductory story shines.
Jacklyn
Jacklyn marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Alejo
Alejo is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Grendel: Devil By The Deed
  • The Maxx, Vol. 3
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
  • The Collected Sam and Max
  • Invisible People
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Kid Eternity
  • Astro City, Vol. 3: Family Album
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
  • Penny Arcade Volume 1: Attack of the Bacon Robots!
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • Rising Stars: Fire and Ash (Rising Stars, #3)
  • Magic Pickle
  • Build a Better Life by Stealing Office Supplies (Dilbert, #2)
In 1988, Ben Edlund launched the comic book that would make his name known to many comic and cartoon fans across the nation. It was the tale of a 300 lb., 7ft tall big blue insect named "The Tick". It was a character that Ben created a few years before in high school. The original series, drawn and written by Ben and published by New England Comics, only lasted 12 issues, but became quite popular...more
More about Ben Edlund...
The Tick: The Complete Edlund The Tick Omnibus Vol. 1: Sunday Through Wednesday The Tick Omnibus Vol. 2: Thursday Ad Infinitum The Tick Omnibus Vol. 3 The Tick Omnibus Vol. 4: The Tick's Giant Circus of the Mighty