Start by marking “The Tick: The Naked City” as Want to Read:
The Tick: The Naked City

The Tick: The Naked City (The Tick Comics)

Bulging muscles, immense jaw, and a battle cry of Spoon!--it's none other than The Tick, a strange and seemingly invulnerable force for good in the world. A thoroughly enjoyable parody of superhero comics, this book offers a complete re-telling of all The Tick's adventures in The City. Color illustrations throughout.
Published August 6th 1996 by Da Capo Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Tick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tick

Melki
Mar 25, 2016 Melki rated it it was amazing
I've never been a big fan of superheroes, but I LOVE the bumbling, yet somehow indestructible nigh-invulnerable Tick.

description

My first introduction to this character was the animated TV series that aired from 1994 to 1996.

description

I also enjoyed the live-action, Patrick Warburton vehicle that ran for only nine episodes in 2001.

description

This was my first look at a Tick comic, and it was pure fun. Here, we are introduced to a strange character who is on the lam from an asylum. Armed with his trusty View-Master Secret Crime
StoryTellerShannon
Tale of a maladjusted superhero who is invincible to most things and serves as a comedic element at times to the other characters. One of the strengths of this novel is the humor, especially in the latter half of the story when he saved a girl named Oedipus from not so great ninjas. This is much more about the in jokes than the action. Tick even gets to irritate Superman to the point where he tries to kill Tick. An animated series was spun off of this back in the day.

ARTWORK: B; CHARACTERS/DIAL
Charles
Stuff I Read – The Tick Naked City Review

Most of my memories of The Tick come from the cartoon that ran in the Nineties, which I must say is considerably different than the comic. Not in a bad way, really, but in a way that makes the comics a bit more complicated and conflicting than the show, which is much more a sort of goofy thing that glorifies most of the ridiculous super hero clichés without actually criticizing them. Sure, Tick is a huge idiot in the show, but he’s a heroic idiot, always
Shelley
Jan 21, 2012 Shelley rated it it was amazing
When I picked this up tonight, I hadn't read this for...12 years? More? From way back when I was discovering how much better Eudora was to PINE and still giggling at "fingering" people online (OK, that's still funny). Yeah. Long time.

It's still hilarious. Charmingly dated, insanely funny and full of 80s and 90s comics in-jokes. What's not to love?!
Phillip
Aug 30, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing
I've read this book multiple times and I'm reminded each time how much darker the original Tick was in comparison to the cartoon. Regardless, it remains one of my favorite reads. I just wish I could get my hands on more of it, but alas that has repeatedly turned out to be a too expensive of a proposition for me.
Steff
Dec 29, 2013 Steff rated it it was amazing
This was my first experience with The Tick comics, I recently watched the live action show and that's what got me interested. It was awesome and full of humor, the Tick is really a clueless superhero. But he's still prepared to fight wrongdoers and super villains.
Seth
Apr 30, 2009 Seth rated it it was amazing
I give it 5 stars for being one of the most humorous graphic novels I've read. You almost expect to find Mel Brooks name as a contributor to the story.
Virginia
Apr 24, 2008 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Pure and utter genius.
stacy
Jun 04, 2008 stacy rated it it was amazing
Not in the face, not in the face!

Really? Is there any better hero's catch phrase than that? I think not!
Mark CC
Sep 14, 2012 Mark CC rated it it was amazing
Goodness, what a delight. I'm hardly unbiased since I loved the 1990s cartoon so much, but The Tick is great and I will hear no arguments to the contrary.
Jerimi
Jan 16, 2013 Jerimi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Laughed myself silly, then loaned it to my roommate because not knowing what was so funny was driving her crazy. She read it in one night, and I could hear her giggling.
Sydne
Jan 09, 2008 Sydne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Spoons.
Recommended to Sydne by: Mrs. Cotton's book collection.
Back in my childhood, the Tick was a hero to me.
Mainly because he LOVES spoons. That's pretty much all I talked about.

I love the Tick.

My favorite super hero, next to Dracula.
Chris
Apr 05, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Avoid the countless, waterd-down spin-offs - the orginal tick is priceless, brilliant comic parody. Spoooooon! Not in the face, not in the face!
Robert
Jun 09, 2009 Robert rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes The Tick
"The City calls to me... It cries to me of it's need."
Jeff
Nov 12, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jeff by: the cartoons
Shelves: comics
4.5 stars (not sure why i won't give it a full 5) because...
I love The Tick. I rarely laugh out loud when reading but Edlund's creation consistently opens me up.

If you think that The Tick is an attempt to undermine the positive aspects of the superhero mythos, then you're clearly too sensitive about the superhero mythos.

I understand why the cartoon did not make it explicit that The Tick is clinically insane, but that layer makes for a much richer experience.

I purchased The Naked City along wit
Michael Allan Leonard
Nov 10, 2016 Michael Allan Leonard rated it it was amazing
" People say that I'm out of touch with reality. That I'm insane. Sometimes I forget things. Who I am. Where I am. Unimportant things. But I'm not insane. I am a tick."

The Naked City collects the original half-dozen issues of the king of all superhero spoofs, and is well worth the read. We meet the bamboozled blue behemoth as he drives a very thinly-veiled (like one-ply-toilet-paper-good-thing-this-is-satire-or-there'd-be-lawyers-involved thin) Superman stand-in crazy, and careens from that righ
Aaron Reisberg
May 18, 2012 Aaron Reisberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Somehow I missed the comic and animated series growing up. In college I saw a few episodes of the live-action Patrick Warburton series, which were quite funny. A trip to Half Price Books and I stumbled across this book, and, wow.

Back to the beginning: this book collects the very first six issues (as opposed to the other first six issues?) of The Tick, in all his madness. A great parody of superheroes, as well as late '80s/early '90s pop culture phenomena, such as fast food mascots, rampant comme
Brian Stubbs
Jul 31, 2016 Brian Stubbs rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My favorite comic/graphic novel of all time. I watched The Tick on Fox anytime I was in front of a TV and it was an option. The show was a gigantic part of my childhood, straight up there with Batman: TAS. So it was a no-brainer that when I found this book when I was middle school age, I immediately had to have it. Darker in tone than the cartoon made from this source material, but so much so that it would be 'inappropriate' for most kids, like PG-13 vs PG. I've worn out 3 copies of this in vari ...more
Todd
Aug 27, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it
This would be a five-star if it weren't for that awkward conversation where the Tick and Arthur make sure that the other isn't gay. I'm sure this was meant to be funny, but it just fell flat.

That said this is a great comic that definitely had to be sanitized for a kids' show, but no so much so that the spirit isn't the same.
Michael Wilson
Feb 11, 2009 Michael Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I loved the TV series and the same over-the-top speechifying and satire about everything related to our favorite superheroes like secret identities, the fierceness (and chronic overuse of) ninjas, and great villain names and motivations. The Tick is sheer awesomeness!
Robin
Aug 19, 2008 Robin rated it really liked it
Pretty good beginning story that I never knew existed until I found it at a thrift shop. By the last section it was already transitioning into regular comic book form and already not quite as cool, but the whole introductory story shines.
Paul
May 06, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON !!!!!

Crazy fun! And sometimes that's exactly what the body and soul needs!

...and then Edlund went and commercialized the whole damned thing.
(but honestly, even with the commercialization of it, it was still darned good fun)
Lulu Johnson
Jan 03, 2017 Lulu Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
The Tick is hilarious! It also spawned an equally hilarious cartoon.
Sivyu
Feb 06, 2015 Sivyu rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006, graphic-novels
I watched it when I was little, but wanted to get into the comics now that I am older. I'm thinking about trying out another volume to give it another shot.
Rosa
Love the Superman and Electra parodies and getting to see how Arthur and the Tick first met. Glad watching the live action tv show on Netflix inspired me to read this.
Chris Clayton
Chris Clayton rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Tesse
Tesse rated it really liked it
May 13, 2008
Joey Comeau
Joey Comeau rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2012
Alan Rosenblatt
Alan Rosenblatt rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Red Meat: A Collection of Red Meat Cartoons From the Secret Files of Max Cannon
  • The Adventures of Sock Monkey
  • The Utter Zoo Alphabet
  • The Collected Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway
  • Grendel: Black, White, and Red
  • Astro City, Vol. 6: The Dark Age, Book One: Brothers and Other Strangers
  • The Maxx, Vol. 1
  • Attack of the Bacon Robots! (Penny Arcade, #1)
  • Supreme Power, Volume 2: Powers and Principalities
  • Invisible People
  • Seaguy
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 2: Morning Star
  • Essential Doctor Strange, Vol. 1
  • The Punisher: Circle of Blood
  • Power Girl: Power Trip
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Work Is Hell
  • Top 10, Vol. 2
In 1988, Ben Edlund launched the comic book that would make his name known to many comic and cartoon fans across the nation. It was the tale of a 300 lb., 7ft tall big blue insect named "The Tick". It was a character that Ben created a few years before in high school. The original series, drawn and written by Ben and published by New England Comics, only lasted 12 issues, but became quite popular ...more
More about Ben Edlund...

The Tick Comics (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Tick: The Complete Edlund
  • The Tick Omnibus Vol. 1: Sunday Through Wednesday
  • The Tick Omnibus Vol. 2: Thursday Ad Infinitum
  • The Tick Omnibus Vol. 3
  • The Tick Omnibus, Vol. 4: The Tick's Giant Circus of the Mighty (The Tick Omnibus, #4)
  • The Tick Omnibus 5
  • The Tick and Arthur: Bonanza 1
  • The Tick and Arthur: The Complete Works
  • The Tick Specials: The Complete Works (The Tick Specials The Complete Works, #1)
  • The TICK and ARTHUR The Complete Works (The TICK and ARTHUR The Complete Works, Vol. 1)