Start by marking “Pippi Longstocking” as Want to Read:
Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  119,346 Ratings  ·  2,248 Reviews
"Who will challenge Mighty Adolph, the World's Strongest Man, in a wrestling match?" cries the ringmaster.

Who else but Pippi? She lifts him high in the air and carries him around the ring, to the delight of all the children at the circus.

But then everything about Pippi is strange and wonderful and funny ... whether she's teaching two burglars to dance or murdering arithmet
Published 1972 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1945)

Manny
Since I love Scandinavian authors and review many Swedish and Norwegian novels, I'm often asked what the best language is if you're planning to read one in translation. It's early days yet, but I'm starting to feel more and more certain that the answer is German. Just like Komet im Mumintal , which I read last year, Pippi Langstrumpf was an absolute winner and felt 100% authentic. It was exactly like reading it in Swedish: the melody of the sentences was the same, the word-play was the same, an ...more
Manybooks
Feb 21, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys children's literature, especially literature with strong female characters
Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is still globally loved and admired.

The original concept for the novel originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous little girl named Pi
sweet pea
Feb 04, 2008 sweet pea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pipp
Nomes
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end
Riku Sayuj
Jan 22, 2013 Riku Sayuj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-r-rs

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could the
Ahmad Sharabiani
پی پی سه تا تخم مرغ برداشت و به هوا پرتاب کرد. یکی از تخم مرغ ها خورد روی سرش و شکست و زردهء آن به روی صورتش سرازیر شد. بعد همان طور که چشم هایش را پاک میکرد گفت: «من همیشه شنیده بودم که زردهء تخم مرغ به مو قوت میده. حالا خواهید دید موهای من با چه سرعتی رشد می کنه. در برزیل به همین دلیل همه تخم مرغ به سر این طرف و آن طرف میروند و حتی یک نفر هم کچل نیست. یک وقتی یک پیرمرد عجیبی بود که تخم مرغ هایش را به جای این که به سرش بمالد میخورد. خوب طبعا کچل شده بود و به محض این که می آمد تو خیابون تمام ماش ...more
Mahdi
تجربه ی بسیار لذت بخشی بود، خوندن داستان کودکان زیر ده سال، در بالای بیست سالگی! کلی با شوخی هاش خوش گذشت.

پی پی، دقیقاً بر عکس آلیسه! آلیس یه دختر کاملاً معقول (و حتا کمی تندخو و خشک) که وسط یه شهر پر از خل و چل و دیوونه گم میشه و سعی میکنه با بدخلقی اشتباهات دیگران رو بهشون یادآوری کنه، ولی هیچ فایده ای نداره.
اما پی پی، خودش عجیب و غریب و کمی دیوونه است، و وسط کلی آدم بزرگ معقول و خشک گیر کرده و مدام با کارها و حرف های نامعقولش، اون ها رو از کوره به در میکنه.
من فکر کنم لذت خوندن این دومی برای ب
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*

L, is for Lindgren

2.5 Stars

Pippi Longstocking is absolutely a case of I-read-this-too-late-in-life.

This is NOT the kind of story my mom read to me as a child. I was too headstrong already, I didn’t need her reading about a ginger-haired nine year old who lifted up horses and refused to go to school. Wise move, mom, wise move.

I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to review this, to be honest. There is a cuteness to it, a toughness too BUT I can’t turn off pretend-mom brain. I can’t help but th
Victoria Hansen
Jun 29, 2016 Victoria Hansen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I remember the day my mother came home with a copy of 'Pippi Longstocking'. I was seven, and too scared to read such a 'big' book. After my mother convinced me to, I read Pippi Longstocking and fell in love with the adventures of the independent, yet immature Pippi. It took me a couple of years before I re-read it, which was where my view on the book changed. As I used to live in Denmark, I grew up with Pippi Longstocking, Karlsson-on-the-Roof, Emil of Lönneberga, and anything Astrid Lindgren, r ...more
Manny
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pip
Caroline
May 20, 2015 Caroline added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Shelley
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all child
Ronyell
To be honest, I have heard of “Pippi Longstocking” when I was little, but I only saw the movies of the little red haired heroine, but then again I might have read this book when I was younger. It is just that I do not remember many children’s books that I have read when I was small. “Pippi Longstocking” is a popular children’s book by Astrid Lindgren and it details the wild adventures of an unusual girl named Pippi Longstocking. “Pippi Longstocking” is clearly one of the best children’s books ev ...more
Bonnie
5 stars *(My child-experience rating, though my adult rating wouldn’t differ much.)

As an adult, I find it interesting to revisit books I read as a child. Pippi Longstocking is one of two I remember most vividly; The Ugly Duckling is the other. These stories are so different from one another that I find it odd – it must say something about my personality as a child.

Rereading Pippi recently, I laughed out loud throughout the first half of the story and then I’m not sure what happened. Maybe “Monke
Scarlet Cameo
Feb 10, 2016 Scarlet Cameo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scarlet Cameo by: The movie & the cartoon.
Shelves: rc-15

Acepto que Pippi es uno de mis personajes favoritos y que tengo recuerdos de mi infancia en los que ella era mi ídolo, pero ahora que ya estoy más grande me gusta pero ya no me fascina, lo cual no es que sea malo sino que ya no tiene el encanto que me cautivo cuando era niña (desgraciadamente no todos los libros tienen en mi corazón la trascendencia de Alicia y Mafalda).

Pippi es una niña peculiar, con muchas cualidades que hacen que tre agrade el personaje, aunque sí conociera una niña así en la
April Knapp
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very similar
Melanie
“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.”

This one is so nostalgic for me. I grew up having my mom read the books to me and I used to watch the movies all the time as well.

Pippi Longstockingis a classic that everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. It's about a young girl who lives in a large house with a monkey and a horse, she also happens to be "the strongest girl in the world." Beside her live two other children, a brother and a sister
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Her mother died when she was just a baby so she has no memory of her at all. Her father was a ship captain who was thrown overboard during a storm at sea and disappeared. Pippi Longstocking, nine years old, believes her mother is in heaven watching her, and her father on an island and has become the king of the cannibals. She lives alone in their house with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.

She often looks up at the sky and tells her mother "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on
Alissa Patrick
This book was cute! I never read these before, but I kind of remember a movie/TV show where the girl with the crazy pigtails had a monkey on her shoulder. This was a short book so I got through it in a few hours. I think this would make a charming collection to books I want to read to my daughters when they're older. I'm prone to liking fellow redheads. =)
Filipa
Apr 05, 2016 Filipa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pippi.
Pippi usa uns sapatos maiores do que os seus pés umas três vezes.
Pippi tem mais força que muitos homens juntos.
Pippi aprendeu a fazer as melhores comidas com a cozinheira do barco onde viajou com o pai por entre muitas marés.
Pippi vive com o seu macaco e o seu cavalo. O seu pai, um dia perdeu-se no oceano, mas ela acredita e sabe que ele foi dar a uma ilha e é agora rei dos canibais. Mas antes disso acontecer com o seu pai, este encarregou-se de lhe comprar uma casa para viverem um dia mai
Gaijinmama
Dec 24, 2009 Gaijinmama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it amazing how an implausible book written by a Swedish lady in the 1930's about a little girl who lives with a horse, a monkey, a suitcase of gold coins, and no grown-ups can still engage us today? Pippi flat-out rocks! I read this as a kid, then read it with my son a few years ago, and now my daughter is six and has seen the animated version on Cartoon Network, and we all still can't get enough of Pippi.
One thing I felt as a parent this time around: Pippi really does try to fit in, and i
Jessica
I always sort of assumed I had read Pippi Longstocking, until very recently when I was trying to describe it to my kids, and realized that I had seen the old movie and read other books by Astrid Lindgren, and conflated them. So I decided to remedy that all around by reading the first book aloud to my kids, and of course I had to have the fully illustrated edition with pictures by Lauren Child, because of our fondness for Charlie and Lola.

The consensus? Delightful! The kids thought Pippi was hila
Deborah Markus
May 28, 2014 Deborah Markus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren li
Deborah Markus
May 22, 2015 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-me-cake
Yet another book that’s even more entertaining when you reread it as an adult. In fact, we need Pippi more than ever now. I did, anyway. At a time in my life when it’s too easy for me to feel cynical and angry pretty much nonstop, it was a relief to revisit Pippi’s humor, honesty, complex simplicity, strength, and wholehearted generosity.

There’s no mawkishness here, and no idealization of childhood or children. Astrid Lindgren simply manages to capture the joy that ought to be the birthright of
Adiee
May 07, 2016 Adiee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прекрасна идея бе да си припомня детството! Какво шях да правя без книгите на Астрид Линдгрен?!
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 22, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010)
Shelves: 1001-core, childrens
We all tend to love the books that we grew up with, no matter how bad they were. I have a friend you loves Paolo Coelho's The Alchemist even if he knows that it is really not a par with the works of the other literary giants that he only came to know during his adulthood. The reason? He read The Alchemist during his tender years, in his high school, when I think everybody was talking about it and claiming it to be their favorite book. Among these people were the shallow showbiz celebrities answe ...more
Gina
Jun 24, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Don't you worry about me, I will always come out on top."

Ooooh what a delight to read this!
I have already told you - while reading Heidi - that when I was a kid, Pippi Longstocking was my hero. I had NUMEROUS videotapes of movies, series,... both real acted as animated ones.
My wallpaper in my room was of Pippi Longstocking as well as I had a bed spread. I watched the tapes about 50 times a day (A DAY!!!) and go on and on. I was a big fan, to say the least.

So when I found this book, I HAD to
Sarah Sammis
Dec 08, 2007 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: released
Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Efraim's Daughter Longstocking (or Pippi to her friends) is one of my favorite children's fiction heroines. She was first introduced in Pippi Longstocking. She's stronger anyone, lives alone in a palatial home, has a horse and a monkey, and is the daughter of a pirate. Who could ask for more out of a main character?

For the BookCrossing Literacy Train I treated myself to a reread of Pippi Longstocking before donating my copy to the cause. This initia
Maureen
Jun 30, 2008 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: children
As a headstrong little girl, Pippi was my heroine. I longed to live in a castle with a horse and a monkey, and live life on my own terms. So what if the plot was weak? The object of the story was to portray a way of life that many girls yearned to live. Her name made quite a good mantra, when recited while avoiding cracks in neighborhood sidewalks. Inside every child is a lighthearted rebel, just like Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking.
June Geiger
Oh, Pippi-- pioneer latchkey kid-- she made it all seem so magical. So carefree. So...doable. Of course today social services would haul her in a heartbeat to undesirable fosters and dull her with ritalin. And who on earth would want to read THAT book?? (I love my 1950 Viking Press Edition with quirky illustrations by Louis Glanzman)
Penélope
“He's the strongest man in the world.
'Man, yes,' said Pippi, 'but I am the strongest girl in the world, remember that.”

I liked it. That's all.
I don't "love" it. Basically because I knew that it was going to be very difficult. I mean, I'm 17 years old, probably I would have loved this book with the age of 12 or 14 years old but I love classics and this book is one of them.

The plot is basically the adventures of Pippi. She's a girl who is living alone because her father is a pirate and she do
Around the Year i...: Pippi Longstocking, by Astrid Lindgren 4 14 Aug 13, 2016 07:55PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren 2 14 Sep 02, 2015 12:32PM
101 Books to Read...: Pippi Longstocking 9 21 Nov 26, 2014 04:32PM
Great Middle Grad...: Happy birthday, Astrid Lindgren! 8 9 Nov 17, 2014 06:08PM
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Патиланско царство
  • Morgen, Findus, wird's was geben
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)
  • The Wednesday Witch
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Pippi in the South Seas

“The children came to a perfume shop. In the show window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

What does the sign say?” ask Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.
It says, ‘Do you suffer from freckles?’” said Annika.
Does it indeed?” said Pippi thoughtfully. “Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.”

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. “No!” she said decidedly.

What is it you want?” asked the lady.
No,” said Pippi once more.
I don’t understand what you mean,” said the lady.
No, I don’t suffer from freckles,” said Pippi.

Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, “But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!”

I know it,” said Pippi, “but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.”

She turned to leave, but when she got to the door she looked back and cried, “But if you should happen to get in any salve that gives people more freckles, then you can send me seven or eight jars.”
118 likes
“But Nightshirts aren't dangerous," Pippi assured her. "They don't bite anybody except in self defense.” 79 likes