Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Renowned comics icon Joe Kubert returns to the legendary military unit he made famous in this action-packed tale based on a true story!

From North Africa to the Rhine, Sgt. Rock and his company of hard-bitten veterans have faced insurmountable odds and lived to tell the tale. But when they find themselves caught in the No Man's Land of the Balkans searching for a religiou

Published April 7th 2007 by DC Comics

Andrew Huey
After reading a bunch of superhero comics this weekend, I picked this series out of my pile. Definitely a refreshing change of pace from the superhero stuff.

Joe Kubert is a great artist, and he's really at the top of his game here. I remember enjoying his work on many of the war comics I read when I was a kid. It's great to see him back on a classic character like Sgt Rock, but with modern printing and coloring. The art here is really great.

The story is a little weird, and it seems like the kind...more
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Frank Rock y su Easy Company son asignados a una particular misión: Servir de escolta a un particular joven a través del fiero invierno del este europeo. Alianzas incómodas, crueles enemigos y más de una amarga sorpresa espera al grupo en el carnicero frente ruso. Otra acertada pincelada de la guerra y su horror gracias al talento experimentado de Joe Kubert.
Brent
Nov 04, 2013 Brent rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Joe Kubert and Sgt. Rock fans
Recommended to Brent by: The Book Nook
Kubert, the author, teacher, editor, educator, is much missed. Thankfully, in his last decade, he returned to some familiar characters of his, like Sgt. Rock and Tor.
I look on this tale as visiting subjects editorial strictures might not have allowed before the 1970s or the time Kubert left DC editorial offices. Like: messianic Judaism, the Holocaust, and mortality in wartime.
I am curious about the historical background here, as the Baltic city of Riga is referred to constantly as in Estonia, wh...more
Dan
God damn, Joe Kubert was awesome. PROPHECY has a rather lackluster ending, but when Kubert draws a war comic, there's hardly anything that could make it unenjoyable. He was the greatest war comics artist without a doubt and this return to Sgt. Rock, Kubert's most famous character, shows an artist still at the top of his game clear into his twilight years.
Randy Daugherty
Sgt Rock by Joe Kubert brings for many of us a trip back to our childhood as he presents Sgt. Rock and Easy Company in a graphic novel.
Rock and Easy Co. have been to North Africa and the Rhine,now as the allies are entering Europe, Easy find themselves in the North of Europe in No Mans land. This area is first pummeled by the Germans and then by the Russians with neither side maintaining a hold on the area.
To this area Rock and Easy come, seeing a glimpse of the horrors that are yet to come. The...more
Robert
This was more of a trip down comic book memory lane than the previous Sgt. Rock book that I had read. This was the artwork and characters that I remembered from my days as a comic book reading youngster. And match that with a decent story with plenty of action to make for a fun little trip down memory lane.
Sonic
First-rate graphic storytelling from a classic comic book artist.
Lucas Martin
Lucas Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
20323
Joe Kubert is a Jewish-American comic book artist who went on to found the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art. He is best known for his work on the DC Comics characters Sgt. Rock and Hawkman. His sons, Andy Kubert and Adam Kubert, have themselves become successful comic-book artists.

Kubert's other creations include the comic books Tor, Son of Sinbad, and Viking Prince, and, with writer R...more
More about Joe Kubert...
Fax from Sarajevo Yossel, April 19, 1943 Showcase Presents: The Unknown Soldier, Vol. 1 Tarzan: The Joe Kubert Years, Vol. 1 Jew Gangster