By Bizarre Hands

By Bizarre Hands

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  22 reviews
WARNING: THIS BOOK MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR MENTAL HEALTH.
But if you've got a taste for bone-chilling, gut-wrenching terror that brilliantly tests the limits of human endurance, then Joe R. Lansdale is your man. In his first collection of short stories, the gruseome and outrageous cult classic "The Drive-In" pilots a wildly thrilling, violent and vivid roller coaster ride...more
Published November 1st 1989 by Mark V. Ziesing

To ask other readers questions about By Bizarre Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Bizarre Hands

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
257th out of 1,114 books — 3,423 voters
The Amulet by Michael McDowellCold Moon Over Babylon by Michael McDowellThe Fortune by Michael McDowellThe War by Michael McDowellThe House by Michael McDowell
Best Over-Looked Southern Gothic Classics
19th out of 19 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawn
In the early 1980s, I subscribed to TWILIGHT ZONE MAGAZINE from the first issue - being young, I didn't realize that what I was reading was what would end up being one of the last widely published forums for short fiction, specifically of the weird/supernatural/fantasy/horror persusaion. Many careers for writers of the 1990s started in TZ, and certain writers still stick out in my mind as having been discovered by me in the pages of the magazine: T.E.D. Klein, David J. Schow and Joe R. Lansdale....more
Blue Mama
be ready to feel as though you've done something wrong after reading some of the stories in this book. they are so horrifying at times and so well written that you come out of it feeling as though you experienced or perpetrated the acts on the pages. not for squirmish readers.
Amy
It's really too bad this is out of print - if you're a horror fan, you're going to want to seek this out. Lansdale's "Night They Missed the Horror Show" is in here, which apparently won a Stoker award - it's got crocodiles and swamps - 'nuf said. "Tight Little Stitches in a Dead Man's Back" is another memorable one - nuclear horrors that Stephen King's never thrown at you. Really, Lansdale is a treat - :)
Sockmonkey
Jan 14, 2009 Sockmonkey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Joe Lansdale fans.
This book was on my list for a long time before I finally found it. It was well worth searching for though. Joe is a master. His use of the language makes me wish I lived in one of his books. But then again if I did something really bad would probably happen to me. I love short stories and there isn't a single bad one in this collection.
Charles
A great collection of horror short stories by Joe Lansdale.
Tim Schneider
When I was reading High Cotton I started doing short reviews of the stories. I ran out of steam and/or time. We'll see how I do here.

"Fish Night" is a shorty that still finds time to make at least two significant turns in tone. Saying much more than that would give away too much. The story is worth the short time commitment.

"The Pit" if it's anything feels like swamp noir. If there were a femme fatale in the tale it might harken to Charles Williams and the swamp noir of his Fawcett originals....more
Petr Šimčík
Není tomu dlouho co se mi do rukou na doporučení portálu SFF.cz dostala sbírka od mě dosud neznámého autora Joea R. Lansadalea - Bizarníma rukama. A skutečně kniha je to bizarní, je plná toho nejkrvavějšího hororu, plná motivů nejhrubšího násilí, rasismu, šovinismu, sexu, krve a vulgarit. Dalo by se říci, že z prvních třech povídek jsem byl docela vyděšený, ale spíše to bylo v tomto směru: "Za co jsem to utratil peníze!?" Naštěstí jsem nepřestal číst.

Když se totiž čtenář přenese přes prvotní šok...more
Jason Fischer
Just as good as I remembered it! Glad I slated this collection for a re-read, Lansdale's writing is visceral and succinct, there's no fat on any of these stories. It was interesting to read the introductory comments, where some justification is given against labelling Lansdale as exclusively a splatterpunk writer, and having read "By Bizarre Hands" for the 2nd time I can't help but agree. When he puts gruesome violence into his fiction, it's there for a reason, not just for effect. There are a f...more
Aslan
Incredible collection of horror stories. Ranks with Barker's Books of Blood....Lansdale is a born storyteller.
Fraser Burnett
This is a classic collection of stories that will forever be in my library. Sixteen doses of pure originality, that appeared on the scene like a cooling east Texas breeze.

The wit, vigour and distinctive authorial voice on display is indicative of Lansdale's quality as a writer.

Nobody has written a story so upsetting as Night They Missed the Horror Show, since Harry Crews put the final full stop to A Feast of Snakes. Pure horror.

Sean Bridges
Joe R Landsdale is a man who can push your buttons and could care less what you think about it. I can't put his work down, even when it hits me at a visceral level. A master at his craft.

There should be more of his work on this site. HIGH COTTON is one of the best short-story compilations I've ever read. And it doesn't even include my favorite Landsdale story.

A fantastic writer, who takes you on a hell of a ride.
Gary Lyons
A mixture of good and average horror shorts.

Sometimes the horror thing seems a bit laboured and the is actually better at it funnier moments than it's darkest. Also I felt that the best writing was in "Trains Not Taken", a story of addiction and a dying marriage which isn't actually horror in any way.

I'd probably give this a 3.5 but had to mark down as I wouldn't rate it a 4.
Tom Schulte
I found the first half of this collection of horror tale too predictably common-turns-weird; overwrought and formulaic. The red herring documentary on drive-ins was pleasantly surprising and leads off a more divere, better half of the book but overall ... meh.
joey
Dec 08, 2009 joey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
I bought this when I was a kid, struck by the cover artwork of J. K. Potter (who also illustrated Etchison and R. Campbell). It's one of those books whose stories I occasionally re-read with guilty pleasure. "Night They Missed the Horror Show" is my favorite.
Marc
Aug 04, 2012 Marc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
As good an anthology of short stories as you will EVER read. A life changing book for me. The stories range from the brutal to the heart-breakingly sweet. Among the best i have ever read, for sure.
Susan Sommerfeld
One of the best short story collections ever. I was lucky enough to hear Mr. Lansdale read from the book at a Scifi convention.
Chris Pounds
The title story is likely the most disturbing I have ever read. Wanna read a story with surprises? Joe's your man.
Greg of A2
Really terrific short horror fiction. Tales that will tingle your spine and tickle your brain.
William Watson
Best short story collection i have read so far cant think of one story i didnt enjoy.
M
too predictable
Chris
Worth reading.
Sheralynn
Sheralynn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Quentin Wallace
Quentin Wallace marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Nisse
Nisse marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Bill Tallitsch
Bill Tallitsch marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Zareepa
Zareepa marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Jejeee
Jejeee marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
  • The Dark Country
  • Dark Gods
  • The Howling Man
  • Painted Devils
  • Noctuary
  • Wetbones
  • Books of Blood, Volumes 1-6
  • Dark Delicacies II (Dark Delecacies, #2)
  • Borderlands 1
  • Horror: The 100 Best Books
  • The Unblemished
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • The Imago Sequence and Other Stories
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...
The Bottoms Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2) Savage Season (Hap and Leonard, #1) The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3) Edge of Dark Water