Start by marking “Bubba Ho-Tep” as Want to Read:
Bubba Ho-Tep

Bubba Ho-Tep

The companion book to the popular movie starring Bruce Campbell as Elvis and Ossie Davis as JFK. Stuck in an East Texas old folks home, they must face off against a redneck mummy.

Skyhorse Publishing, under our Night Shade and Talos imprints, is proud to publish a broad range of titles for readers interested in science fiction (space opera, time travel, hard SF, alien invas
Published October 1st 2005 by Night Shade Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bubba Ho-Tep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bubba Ho-Tep

Bill
Sep 30, 2015 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
This has got to be one of the best opening lines for a story ever. (view spoiler)

An Egyptian mummy in an oversized hat and cowboy boots runs amok at Shady Rest Convalescent Home in East Texas, picking off the geriatric residents one by one. It’s up to Elvis and black JFK to put an end to the menace. That is if they can come up with a plan that doesn’t include them gettin
Gregor Xane
Apr 28, 2015 Gregor Xane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This is an excellent novella. Lansdale describes the world in which this story is set with a sort of over-the-top, vivid cynicism that forces you to laugh out loud for fear of spiraling into the depths of despair. This is wholly appropriate considering this story is set in a retirement home populated with lonely and dying elderly persons who are largely treated like humanity's dirty little secret by the staff and society at large.

Sadder still are the heroes of this story, two old men who may ha
Paul Nelson
Bubba Ho-Tep was recommended by a friend/blogger (you know who you are and my thanks for a cracking rec), so it went on the old list for consideration until I eventually got round to reading it on holiday. Wish I’d read it long before that though, what a thoroughly enjoyable tale of the elderly and mentally unstable’s battle against a supernatural entity that feeds on souls.

And with some famous adversaries in Elvis Goddamn Aaron Fucking Presley, John F Kennedy who believed his brain was in the W
Kimberly
Nov 22, 2015 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in the Mud Creek Shady Rest Convalescent Home, we are introduced to some residents, including a geriatric man who believes he is--radically disguised--as President John Kennedy, and another who believes he is the true Elvis Presley. Landsdale describes parts of their sad, meaningless days--with most having no family that bother with them anymore. In the hands of a lesser author, this would have been depressing as hell; however, Landsdale has the ability to turn this bleak situation of societ ...more
Zoeytron
Shady Rest Convalescent Home - an elder care residence or a home for nutters? An inordinately large number of the residents think they are celebrities - Elvis, JFK, Dillinger, the Lone Ranger.

When you get old, 'Everything you do is either worthless or sadly amusing.' A mummified soul eater is on the prowl there at the Shady Rest. During the wee small hours of the morning, Elvis and JFK have a notion. They may be old, and mayhap crazy, but worthless?
Steve
Oct 04, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very weird. Very strange. Very funny!
Andrew
Sep 22, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those circular stories (and I am not referring to the book)- when a story spawned a film spawned a book - which encourage a friend to suggest I see the film which resulted in me stumbling across a story which I recognised. I think thats how it goes. Anyway I recognised the film for several reasons - partly from a friend who just does not stop talking about it - (plus it has the indomitable Bruce Campbell in it) to the fact there are quite a few pop culture references to it - but l ...more
Nick
May 16, 2015 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the story in this book…Elvis and JFK (who are in old age with everyone believing them to be dead) vs a Mummy in a care home. Just how do you get an idea like that!

I saw the movie when it was released and only just picked up a copy of the book, so I am well behind with the times but this is the case with everything I watch or read. I am never up with the latest must see or read.

A great mix of horror and comedy with a sense of how it feels to get old which adds a sense of poignancy.
Frank
Jan 04, 2015 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world needs more mummy stories. Bubba Ho-Tep is the next quantum leap on the subject. Yeah, yeah. I know its been out forever and I'm late to the party. That doesn't make it any less break through.

Not only am I late to the Bubba Ho-Tep party but I'm late to the Joe Lansdale party as well. What strikes me .ost about Lansdale is how Bizarro he was before bizarro was bizarro. He is one of those horror writers on the 90s and beyond that took big chances and twisted the genre on its head. Modern
Godzilla
Mar 01, 2012 Godzilla rated it really liked it
Shelves: quirky, horror, 2012, kindle
I'm not sure how you really avoid spoilers with a book like this!

Set in an East Texas care home, two residents must battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy to save their souls being sucked out of their asses!

Joe R Lansdale never fails to carve great characters with his words, and this is no exception. If you like your noir and horror in a quirky style then be all over this like a rash.

I know several other reviewers have quoted this passage, but it sums up the writing and the book better than any crappy
Trev Twinem
Jan 31, 2014 Trev Twinem rated it liked it
fun read but not my fav this year.....
Neil
Mar 23, 2014 Neil rated it it was amazing
weird but amazing. loved it.
Kevin
May 17, 2010 Kevin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hollie
Likely the most comprehensive expression of Lansdale's aesthetic, "Bubba Hotep" captures all of the author's pet motifs in a single short story, adopting as its core characters a pair of larger than life celebrities and pitting them against a b-movie horror villain. As icing on the cake, setting the story in an East Texas nursing home allows Lansdale a chance to spin out vernacular language so scatologically over the top that it possesses an odd sort of beauty. Check it: "The sun, like a boil on ...more
Lee
Sep 18, 2016 Lee rated it it was ok
A pretty crazy short story

An aging Elvis and black JFK do battle with a cowboy mummy, I think that just about sums up the book, you know exactly what you are going to get.

Someone told me to watch the film on YouTube and I found out that it was actually a book and considering it would only take an hour or so to read I thought I'd go with that first.

Elvis is old cranky and possibly not actually Elvis at all but an impersonator who broke his hip when he fell off stage, JFK is black and believes th
Madeline
May 12, 2008 Madeline rated it really liked it
"The sun, like a boil on the bright blue ass of day, rolled gradually forward and spread its legs wide to reveal the pubic thatch of night, a hairy darkness in which stars crawled like lice, and the moon crabbed slowly upward like an albino dog tick striving for the anal gulch."

I think the best writing is writing that provokes a physical reaction. Lansdale makes my booty lock up.
Randy
Jul 18, 2014 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've wanted to read this story ever since I saw the excellent film a few years ago. It first appeared in The King is Dead: Tales of Elvis Post-Mortem. The film starred Bruce Campbell as the still alive Elvis and Ossie Davis as Jack Kennedy)the old black man claims to have survived the assassination attempt, only to be died black and abandoned.

Both are residents of the Shady Rest old folks home. Elvis is still alive because he'd gotten tired of the life and switched withe best Elvis impersonator.
Nathaniel Brehmer
Nov 27, 2012 Nathaniel Brehmer rated it it was amazing
This was a hoot. Pure entertainment value. So grungy it feels like it's been it's been scraped off the floor of an alley, and in this case it's a good thing. Read it if you liked the movie, it's a great, quick read. Lansdale's voice is truly unique.
Matt
Jul 21, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Good short story. A little vulgar, but that doesn't bother me. I like how he explains Elvis's presence in the retirement home and why he is still alive. Good stuff.
Corky
Feb 16, 2008 Corky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This may be my favorite book ever. Lansdale is the best. Its actually just a short story. A must see movie. Bruce Campbell IS Elvis!!(at 70)
Yolanda Sfetsos
This morning I felt like reading, but I didn't want to get stuck into any long books until the new year. So, I looked through my Kindle and decided to read this bizarro story.

Hubby and I watched the movie years ago and really enjoyed it. I'm glad the story turned out to be just as good.

Sebastian Haff is convinced he's Elvis Presley and is now an old man living in the Mud Creek Shady Rest Convalescent Home. He oftens regrets a lot of his decisions in the past and is still very obsessed with his p
Tony
Dec 18, 2012 Tony rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
BUBBA HO-TEP. (2003). Joe Lansdale. **.
Mr. Lansdale has created an extensive body of work in both the crime and horror genres. This novella falls kind-of in the horror category, or at least skirts around the edges. Bubba Ho-Tep is the name of a mummy who has managed to stake a claim on a nursing home, where he manages to keep himself ‘alive’ by sucking out the souls of the old people there. The fact that they die is no surprise, especially to the staff of doctors and nurses; you expect old peop
Mel
An aging Elvis, John F Kennedy, Dillinger and a mummy. This is a fun fast read. Read it, it won’t take long. Don’t read this if you are offended by dirty language. In fact, don’t read this if you are easily offended period. Everyone else, I highly recommend. I also highly recommend the movie based on this story. It is worth watching, but not if you are one of those people who get their panties in a knot easily. Then do not watch the movie either. Everyone else, enjoy!
Audrey Spencer
Aug 03, 2016 Audrey Spencer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was some vulgarity in the book that I didn't anticipate (have known of Lansdale for years and this was the first thing I'd gotten around to reading), but once I got past that and into the downright absurdity of the the circumstances and story, I really enjoyed reading it. It's the kind of thing I want to write: unique points of view, uncommon setting and very seldom-seen character types (at least in my own experience). I liked this story very much.
Douglas Castagna
Dec 03, 2015 Douglas Castagna rated it it was amazing
Cannot believe I had not read this up to this point in my life. I loved the movie for a long time and finally decided to read the source material. The movie had to be a labor of love since it was so close to the source material. And what a rich story it was. Great writing takes a hysterical premise and makes it work effectively. Great little read.
nick herron
Jan 11, 2016 nick herron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elvis and Mummies whats not to love

This book is not for the ordinary. Its extraordinary and celebrates life. 2 old people still with a zest for life while others are simply waiting. Whether Haff is Elvis is not important he's vital and alive in a place where most await the inevitable. The King is back in his zaniest role

Schecke
Mar 31, 2015 Schecke rated it liked it
Bubba Ho-Tep is a short story that tells of two men in a nursing home that encounter a soul sucking mummy. There is a plenty of foul language and gross depictions of various bodily functions and medical conditions. A Bram Stoker nominee apparently? Though not at all scary... Bubba Ho-Tep is a comical, light and disgusting read. 3/5
TK421
Dec 03, 2015 TK421 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
3.5. I would have liked to have more story. Originally written as a short-story, this could have been enriched and developed into a stellar novella. As is, the story still provides moments of laughter while also making the reader squirm in some of the more graphic passages.
Stacy Fetters
Jan 08, 2015 Stacy Fetters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bubba Ho-Tep is a movie im completely obsessed with (thank you Trent), Bruce Campbell makes a great elvis and after reading this... it seems like that part was written with him in mind.
The introductions brought the stories more together and the script stayed true to the short story.
A small town in Texas, a retirement castle and a deep wooded area is where this all begins. Elvis, President JFK and even the lone ranger have rooms inside the "castle". Everything goes to shit when peoples souls wi
Natalie Olsen
Dec 07, 2015 Natalie Olsen rated it liked it
Some of the grossness was unnecessary I felt. Overall an interesting concept and likeable characters. Some struck a little too close to home for me as I had a grandmother in an East Texas nursing home.
Stewart Bootles
Apr 15, 2016 Stewart Bootles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Very Funny and original Tale of a Mummy and Elvis Presley, If that doesn't make you want to read it I don't know what will, also made into a classic film featuring the legendary Bruce Campbell, A great Novella
  • Metallic Dreams
  • Creepy Archives, Vol. 1
  • Alone
  • The Cats of Ulthar
  • Dagon Rising (Clickers #3)
  • Crawl
  • The Haunted Forest Tour
  • The Rain Dancers
  • The Cormorant
  • The Venus Complex
  • Skin Medicine
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: The Laughing Corpse Ultimate Collection
  • Alleinstehender Psychopath sucht Gleichgesinnte (Andrew Mayham, #2)
  • Zippered Flesh: Tales of Body Enhancements Gone Bad!
  • 山田くんと7人の魔女 7 [Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo 7] (Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, #7)
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...