Start by marking “Coraline: The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Coraline: The Graphic Novel

Coraline: The Graphic Novel

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,116 Ratings  ·  1,086 Reviews
Coraline discovered the door a little after they moved into the house.

When Coraline steps through a door in her family's new house, she finds another house strangely similar to her own (only better). But there's another mother there and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to "change" her and never let her go.

Acclaimed artist P. Cra
Published by Bloomsbury Children's (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Coraline, please sign up.

Becky This page refers to the graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's original Coraline. The one you're referring to is the anniversary edition of the original…moreThis page refers to the graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's original Coraline. The one you're referring to is the anniversary edition of the original Coraline novel. I found a limited edition copy of the Chris Riddell illustrated novel at bookdepository.com using a Google search. Amazon is also selling a Kindle edition of that version.(less)

Raeleen Lemay
I definitely enjoyed the novel way more, but this was still a super creepy book, perfect for Halloween.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoy the story of Coraline, but the artwork just didn't do it for me.
Anne
I'd definitely recommend this version to reluctant readers.
Yeeees. The real book is...a REAL book, but I'm talking about those kids who don't like to read.
I've got one of those, and she loved this thing.
My feeling is that if you can get them hooked on a good story, no matter how you do it, it's going to show them the possibilities between the pages of a book.

The graphic novel tells the same story as the book, but with the added bonus of pictures. Duh.
Who doesn't like pictures?
Blind folks and sno
Taylor Knight
Jul 31, 2015 Taylor Knight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't seen the movie for Coraline or read the original book so I had pretty much no idea what this graphic novel was about.
The overall plot was really interesting and spooky. I wasn't expecting it to be so strange but I really enjoyed it.
I really like Coraline. She was a fun character and I thought she was really well written.
أحمد
Oct 18, 2015 أحمد rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يعرف مَن شاهد فيلم "كورالاين" أنه لا يناسب الأطفال كثيرا، وأنه سيظل طويلا ملازما لكوابيس أي طفل شاهده. لكن هذه الرواية المصورة؟ لا أعرف حقا كيف كنت لأشعر لو كنت قرأتها طفلا! فخيال المخرج المبدع "هنري سيليك" أخرج الفيلم في صورة رائعة ومروعة، تساءلتُ كثيرا عن مدى مناسبتها للأطفال. لكنني اكتشفت بعد قراءة الرواية أنه كان رحيما بتجاهل الكثير من التفاصيل المفزعة!
نيل جايمان هنا يمزج بعبقرية فذة بين أشنع تيمات الرعب، وبين أعذب ملامح قصص الأطفال.
تحياتي يا جايمان، فقد نجحتَ تماما في إثارة هلعي كبالغ، وانب
Rebecca McNutt
I've read some terrible book-to-comic adaptations before, but Coraline isn't one of them. Beautifully (and sometimes creepily) drawn, full of quirky and unforgettable characters, and set in both reality and fantasy, this is one graphic novel that everyone can enjoy.
Sarah Churchill
As usual, I love Gaiman's original story. This adaptation is both hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the illustrations and the story felt a little fleshed out and more... immersive? That comes from having visuals to support the story I suppose.

BUT Coraline looks a lot older than she 'should' from the original story, which turns it into a story about an ungrateful petulant pre-teen rather than a little girl, and that made me lose a little sympathy for her. Nobody likes a sulky teen (pre-teen or othe
Ferdy

Liked it. The story was interesting and fast paced, the characters weren't anything special but they were decent enough. Coraline was likeable, the talking cat was fairly witty, and the other mother was a good baddie… She was a little camp in her evulness but not in a bad way though.
There were some parts that were quite creepy, like the bad guys having buttons for eyes, and the other mother wanting to take Coraline's eyes out so she could sew buttons on her instead. The parts with the
Cara Marie
Jul 04, 2008 Cara Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My rating here is for the graphic novel as an adapation, rather than for the story itself. I should probably stop reading comic adaptions of Neil Gaiman's books, because they never seem to really sing.

Part of it is how this is a very straight adaptation - I would have preferred it to have relied less on the boxes of text narrative, which seem to generally be taken straight from the book. The comic doesn't do anything other than what the book does, which I find disappointing in an adaptation. I'd
Karin
I was extremely excited when I saw the Coraline in graphic novel form. When the book first came out I totally fell in love with it. For a children’s book, it was completely frightening. The graphic novel does a great job of hitting the high points of the story and the illustrations are great, but I don’t think it should be used as a replacement for the original book. The illustrations that are in the book publication are even creepier than the color illustrations in the graphic novel. For exampl ...more
Lexy
*** 3 STARS***

POP READING CHALLENGE 2016 A GRAPHIC NOVEL

Desde hace tiempo quería leer novelas graficas, y decidí empezar con una sencilla.

La leí súper rápido, me gusto la historia es entretenida, aunque las imágenes no me agradaron del todo, me hubiera gustado que fueran mas oscuras, como con mas misterio.

Sin duda veré la película que parece tener mas ese toque de terror.
Nicolo Yu
Jan 03, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Coraline isn't as dark as the movie but I wouldn't say this graphic novel was all sunshine either. It is still a dark enough story to thrill children and give adults nightmares, just as Gaiman intended his novel to be.

This was a great read, as I did found the empty time in between errands the perfect time to read a story set in between the hidden pockets of reality. I found myself favoring this adaptation to the movie as Russell really knows how to
Kat
Basic plot: Coraline is largely overlooked by her parents and ends up in a parallel world where her "other mother" is overly interested in Coraline.

Ah, the basic problem of being a kid: either your parents aren't interested enough or are too interested. This is one of the paradoxes of parenting. Finding a happy medium is nigh impossible.

The art for the graphic novel is good, but not mind-blowing. After having seen the movie, the art really threw me off. Nothing looked the same at all (not that t
Eli
Jan 05, 2009 Eli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Good story; adaptation was a big disappointment. P. Craig Russell has done some great comics, and at worst he still draws a very pretty picture, but this was mostly flat and literal-minded. The characters aren't very expressive (Coraline, who looks about 15 and very conventionally pretty, often just seems bored and mildly worried) and, with a few exceptions, the backgrounds aren't either... so it's hard to tell why Coraline would ever think the other house or the Other Mother was particularly co ...more
Robin
Jul 21, 2008 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like quirky graphic novels
This is the second graphic novel adaptation of a young adult novel that I've read recently. The first was Artemis Fowl which I liked and now this one. Oddly enough the written version of Coraline seemed much darker to me than this version so as much as I liked it, I didn't think it was as creepy and disturbing as the original.
Aseel

This book is meant to be a movie
Watched it with my neices thousands of times
Reading the book was OK
There's one extra character in the movie though
THE MOVIE IS A MUST WATCH
Ciruela
Esperaba mucho mas de este libro puesto que la película es mi película de stop motion favorita. No siempre los libros son mejores que las películas he aquí el ejemplo.
description
El problema es que esperaba mucho de este libro y no sabia que no tenian a Wybie, las primeras paginas estaba tipo asi:
description
No esta mal el libro es solo que la película lo sobrepasa por mucho. En este insólito y poco común caso: vean la película antes del libro.
Megan
Wow. I skimmed through some other reviews after finishing this and a lot of people really don't like the graphic novel version of this book. I've never read the novel version so I can't compare the two myself but I guess I can understand how a reader might not want or agree with someone else's artistic interpretation of a beloved story since we all take something different from them. I have seen the film version though and I have to agree with those other reviewers that I preferred the darker, g ...more
Kristina
Oct 18, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Neil Gaiman. I will always love him. That being said, I have never read the book Coraline, or seen the movie. I did enjoy this graphic novel though (loved the art) and I now have definite plans to do both.
Brooke
Jan 12, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fansty-horror
Be courageous. Be bold. Take risks. For genre de jour I read a distinguished book called Coraline by Neil Gailmen. The genre of this book is fantasy and horror. Coraline was about this family that moved to a new house that was very different. The main character of my book is named Coraline. Coraline is mysterious and loves exploring. She likes to do stuff on her own and take risks. When she started to explore around the new house, she seems to find strange and frightening things about this home. ...more
Erma Talamante
I seen the 'animated' version of this, borrowed from the library at my kids' request. I was not a big fan of that version, but I rather like the Neil Gaiman books I've read in the past, so I thought I'd give a written version a go before I wrote this story off as 'eh'. While the library had all other versions checked out, this adapted one was available, so I got it. If nothing else, I told myself, I would get a kick out of the illustrations.

Man, am I glad I picked this one up, and gave the story
Ahmad
Apr 02, 2015 Ahmad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book but the movie was better
Tamara
Jan 11, 2015 Tamara rated it really liked it
My first graphic novel :)
Shippseattle
Sep 03, 2008 Shippseattle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the print novel and I'm now reading the graphic novel Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actr...more [close] Coraline lives with her preoccupied parents in part of a huge old house--a house so huge that other people live in it, too... round, old former actresses Miss Spink and Miss Forcible and their aging Highland terriers ("We trod the boards, luvvy") and the mustachioed old man ...more
Ross
Nov 28, 2012 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may sound like heresy, but I found this graphic novel more satisfying than "World's End." Particularly as the story was less epic in scope and had a greater sense of relevance and immediacy. The "realistic" style of the comics artwork, which makes Coraline look like a teenager, is a great departure from the style used for the children's story (as well as the movie.) All these changes made this seem more like a "lost" chapter of "Sandman"—only without the trademark characters and with a genuin ...more
Sylvia
Sam Ang
Jun 02, 2012 Sam Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fantasy, comics
The full article of the review is available here:

Well, I guess everyone will have the same impression as I did the first time I read the title - "Shouldn't it be Caroline? Must be some typo there." And that is the same response people gave her.

Young Coraline was not happy with her life despite the fact that she was only a kid. The adults around her acted a little weird sometimes, making her the more mature one in her mind and she felt bored about that. Her
Saowbia
Nov 01, 2015 Saowbia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I shouldn't have read this on Halloween at night. There were times where I felt like smacking common sense into Coraline. But she came to her senses. The other mother still terrifies me to this day. The weird thing is the graphic novel story seems different than the actual novel. The story was a nice and creepy read perfect for Halloween.
Paula
Jan 01, 2016 Paula rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the graphic novel of 'Coraline' from
start to finish, the illustrations are great to look at and the Other Mother looks more scarier which I enjoyed.

'Coraline' is a wonderful story, there are some changes in the graphic novel (I recognised some of the lines from the film adaptation), the changes do not take anything away from the story.

I will definitely read this story again and again. Highly recommended.
Siobhan
Mar 04, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Coraline, those who have only watched the film are missing out on so much.

I’ll always remember when my sister picked up the book after watching the film, leaving her shocked as to how different the two actually are. Such always seems to be the way with film adaptations, yet Coraline is certainly much higher than a lot of other things that I have read.

Appealing to all ages, Coraline is a quirky horror which keeps you interested throughout. Furthermore, in the form of a graphic novel it is grea
2015 Reading Chal...: Coraline by Neil Gaiman 3 25 Aug 03, 2015 08:40AM
  • Lola
  • Honey, I Love and Other Love Poems
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Copper
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • The Crane Wife
  • The Savage
  • Bayou Vol. 2
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • The Eternal Smile: Three Stories
  • Wonderland
  • I Am a Taxi
  • Alia's Mission: Saving the Books of Iraq
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty
  • Brain Camp

“Sharper than a serpent's tooth is a daughter's ingratitude. Still, the proudest spirits can be broken, with love.” 5 likes
“No. I'm not the other anything. I'm me.
(Não. Eu não sou outro, nada. Eu sou eu.)”
0 likes