Start by marking “Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia” as Want to Read:
Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia

Boxen: Childhood Chronicles Before Narnia

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A collection of maps, histories, sketches, and stories created by C.S. Lewis as a child to describe his private fantasy world, known as Animal-Land or Boxen. A scholarly introduction explains the stories in the context of Lewis's life.
Published October 21st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Boxen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boxen

Karen
These are stories written by C.S. Lewis and his brother Warnie in their youth. They made up an entire world of characters (mostly animals) and a whole history to go with it. You can see where the ideas for Narnia came from. It is hysterical to read the dialogue of the characters especially, since it couldn't be more British. You can practically hear them mumbling away. Much of Lewis' style of speaking a writing can be seen emerging in these stories. Although some are quite convoluded as far as f ...more
RE de Leon
Jan 04, 2011 RE de Leon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to see the development of CS Lewis' writing style, all the way back to age 8.
This book was written by an eight year old. Literally. Put that into consideration, and the book is remarkable! After all, the eight year old in question is CS Lewis. Still, pretty much the only reason you should get this book is if you're a big Lewis fan and want to explore the evolution of his writing. In which case, this book should take you all the way to the start, to Little Lea and The little end room. Happy reading! :D

RE de Leon
Agoo La Union
10:07 PM
January 4, 2011
Ronnie
May 16, 2009 Ronnie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
To see the writtings and drawings of C.S Lewis and his brother and to learn their childhood history is amazing.
NebraskaIcebergs
Whenever I like an author, I tend to want all their books. If they’ve written an autobiography, I desire that too. I’m also going to find of interest collections of their speeches or essays. Then there are the anthologies which contain short works by them. Suffice to say, I want every piece of writing by them, including their childhood stuff. And that’s how I came to be interested in Boxen by C.S. Lewis and W.H. Lewis.

According to the back cover, half a century before the publication of his belo
Brent
My wife is a school teacher and, when I visit her, there is usually some sort of work done by the students hanging in the hallway outside her and, the other teachers classrooms. I enjoy reading and looking at this fount of insight into the minds of our children. So, you can imagine my delight at having found an entire book full of stories and art whose child author is C.S. Lewis and his brother Warren.
Lori Anderson
I didn't really READ the book, per se, but perused it to see what the minds of the very young Lewis boys were like. I was impressed with the depth of their imaginations and their art at the ages of 8 to about 11.

The stories themselves didn't do much for me, but I very much appreciated what they were. Kind of like looking at certain art in the museum -- loved the work that went into it and the history behind it, but wouldn't hang it on my wall.

It IS worth looking at, though, if you are a CS Lewi
A.E. Shaw

A beautiful edition, with scans of a great deal of pictures and maps, many of which I enjoyed as much as, if not more than, the actual content. The stories themselves feel very much like a private conversation, well-told as they are (especially considering the age of the authors), they are very much about the procedure and pleasure of describing and storytelling, as much as they are about the land itself - you can feel the time passing by, almost, as you read. Some of the characters are delightf
Madeline Stone
I've been wanting to read Boxen for a long time, to get inside Lewis's head and see what he was like as a kid, which is why I read (or at least read part of) Boxen. It is written in the style of a history book excepting a few stories which he wrote as plays. Lewis was amazingly meticulous in the writing of Boxen, filling in all the details of his little animal kingdom. He seems like a younger version of his friend, J. R. R. Tolkien.

While the stories are amusing, they are not terribly interestin
Hannah Givens
This is mostly of interest for Lewis fans and scholars, especially the first few stories. However, the more you read, the more fun and engaging the actual stories can be, since they tend to follow the same set of characters.

Part of my project to read all of C.S. Lewis's books in chronological order: http://hannahgivens.wordpress.com/201...

First read: 3/9/09
Elizabeth
I loved this book. It was a glimpse into the life of C.S. Lewis when he was a little boy. Lewis and his brother wrote the Boxen stories together when they were children. They're filled with funny, animal characters that were partially inspired by Beatrix Potter's books. The spelling errors, animal battles, histories, and politics are all delightful.
Not as good as The Chronicles of Narnia which is what I expected. Since this was his earlier work I guess the later series was an improvement! This was hard to follow. But since it was written by kids I liked that aspect - I wrote a series about my cat when I was younger.
Carrie
The prologue was interesting as a biographical piece, but the rest is the writings of Lewis as a child. I only enjoy reading the writings of children who are related to me, so I didn't even finish this.
Marley Butler
This was very interesting as an insight into Lewis' development of his mind and craft. Fascinating from that perspective, though from a pure reader's point of view...not so much.

Elise
This was a really adorable read and my first Lewis book outside of Narnia! Brilliant work from one of my favourite authors.
Joel Roberts
really cool to see into the young mind of Mister Lewis and read what is clearly an influential precursor to Narnia.
Becky
Interesting to see into the mind of a yound C.S. Lewis, age 9! Very sophisticated writing for such a young author.
Sam
Honestly, not that enjoyable, but Jack and Warren wrote it as children, so pretty darn impressive.
Laura Kupets
So great. It's really neat to read the stories that Lewis made up when he was young.
Terri
a nice read for children or anyone interested in C.S. Lewis.
John Lowery
Lovely. This is the early imaginary journeys of Lewis
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Elkie
Elkie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Sharon Normark
Sharon Normark marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Dahabonan
Dahabonan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Cecily
Cecily marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
  • Taliessin through Logres, The Region of the Summer Stars, and Arthurian Torso
  • Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Collected Works
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • The Company They Keep: C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • The Book of Common Prayer: A Biography
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Collected Poems: 1945-1990 R.S.Thomas: Collected Poems : R S Thomas
  • John Wesley
  • The Ice Palace
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • Rough Diamond
  • Kiss, Kiss ; Over to You ; Switch Bitch ; Someone Like You ; Four Tales of the Unexpected ; My Uncle Oswald
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Northrop Frye on Shakespeare
  • Batman: The Complete History
  • Long Story Short
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)