Start by marking “Am I Old Yet? The Story of Two Women, Generations Apart, Growing Up and Growing Young in a Timeless Friendship” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  15 reviews
At forty-four, Leah Komaiko was not aging graciously. Her generation expected to stay forever young, but she felt old and empty inside. Nothing she thought of trying (plastic surgery, a vacation, a new husband) could make her feel young again. Then she met Adele -- a woman who never expected to be ninety-four -- alone, forgotten, and living in a nursing home. This inspirin ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 275 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by Thorndike Press (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Am I Old Yet? The Story of Two Women, Generations Apart, Growing Up and Growing Young in a Timeless Friendship

Marianne
Baby-boomer and children’s author Leah Komaiko was convinced that she was washed up and hung out to dry at age 44: “Now I was older. To sleep, I had to have a choice of heating pads (steam or dry for back pain), a night neck collar, lavender aromatherapy, valerian root, calcium magnesium and vitamin D to ward off osteoporosis, and a fan or air conditioner running twelve months a year to block out the noise from my neighbor’s barking dogs...”

After deciding that a matchmaking service wasn’t the an
Margaret
this is a wonderful little book. the author Leah was afraid of elderly people growing up and now feels OLD at 44. she volunteers to be a companion to someone in an nursing home. she is paired up with Adele, a 94 year old women who is blind. At first Leah thinks she has made a mistake but soon learns Adele has a lot to teach her. I loved this quote from the book-"No matter how old a person is-if she has love in her life, there is only one age-alive".
Sharon
A touching and utterly honest story of the friendship between a woman in a nursing home and a female writer. There are some laugh-out-loud funny moments and some smile moments, and there are precious and sad moments. Maybe the story will urge the reader to go out and collect a nursing home friend; I hope so. It will bring most readers to some new insights. An enjoyable, easy-read book full of small surprises and surprising honesty.
Karen
I truly enjoyed this very touching memoir that allows the reader to share a warm, loving, often funny friendship between the author and a lonely, blind and very interesting 94 year old woman who is living in a nursing home. The author's original one hour a week volunteer visits became a strong and trusting friendship. She learns a great deal about love and life..."No matter how old a person is, if she has love in her life, there is only one age...alive." Their friendship brought new life to both ...more
PB
It's the whiniest book I've ever read. Plus, it's poorly written. The author is well off, and has no real direction or meaning in life and so attempts to find one. So she volunteers for the most selfish reasons and right through to the end, comes off as vain and selfish in the context of this entire project. I loved Adele but I could not summon much sympathy for Leah.
Connie
In this memoir, 44-year-old Leah documents her developing friendship with 94-year-old Adele, a blind nursing home resident. Leah has decided to "adopt" a senior citizen in an effort to combat her fear of aging. As the two women get to know each other, Leah decides to write a book documenting their friendship. Given Adele's age, you'd think that there would be many anecdotes about her life or how the lives of these women differed. However, I had the feeling that it was all about Leah, her insecur ...more
Barbara
Do you want to smile while you are reading? Do you want to get insight into what it's really like to be old in years and young in spirit? Do you want to feel inspired ?
Then this is a book for you. I brought it to work and offered it to a co-worker, who also thoroughly enjoyed it. When you are finished reading it, you'll probably do the same.
Suzan
The author volunteers to help at a nursing home and agrees to spend an hour a week with a woman (Adele) 50 years older then she is. Adele is quite spunky but she seems to be the one who truly gives help to the author with some great life lessons. Wonderful and often very funny!
Dawn
I grabbed for the title, even thought this usually backfires. It worked this time. This was a fun thoughtful book to read.
Spencer
It's a very moving story. Makes me even more certain I do not want to live in a Nursing Home....ever.
Maggie
Karla
Sep 27, 2009 Karla rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2001
The author came across as so vain and shallow that it was hard to enjoy this book.
Lynn McMillen
Great book on bridging the gap between the old and the not so old.
Blackeyedcrow
Jan 26, 2008 Blackeyedcrow marked it as to-read
i read some and would like to finish :)
Stephanie
Very easy story to get into. Easy and entertaining reading. Adele was a much more likable person than the author. At times I thought the author was incredibly vain and selfish. Overall I enjoyed the book and finished it in a day. .
K
K marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Carol Bach
Carol Bach marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Hilary
Hilary added it
Sep 03, 2014
Kym
Kym marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Annie Bananie Malibu Carmie Earl's Too Cool for Me I Like the Music Just My Dad & Me