Start by marking “Stop the Thyroid Madness: A Patient Revolution Against Decades of Inferior Treatment” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  310 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
With even more pages, a new chapter on foods and supplements, and additions throughout the entire book, this informative Second Edition of the ever-popular classic, "Stop the Thyroid Madness: A Patient Revolution Against Decades of Inferior Treatment", continues to break ground as the ONLY thyroid patient-to-patient book on the market. It addresses a 60+ year, internationa ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 296 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Laughing Grape Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Stop the Thyroid Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop the Thyroid Madness

Tricia
Mar 22, 2012 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, health
Mixed feelings about this book.
It was informative, no denying it. However, I'm not sure I was a fan of the author's tone. She was very abrasive, anti-doctor, and defensive. Given many patients' histories of not being listened to by doctors, I can understand how many years of misdiagnosis can lead to bitterness. However, it does not make for a very inviting tone in a book. My husband is a medical student so I was really put-off by Bowthorpe's portrait of doctors as uncaring, unfeeling egomaniacs.
Lessons
Aug 26, 2009 Lessons rated it did not like it
I'm very sorry I wasted good money on this book. The *so-called* author believes that she is helping, but in reality, it seems more like a ploy for attention. There are much better books available on dessicated thyroid meds and I would hopefully suggest you keep looking.

It did, however, lead me to her website which sells T-shirts and caps and things that no one could possibly need or want. But here again, she has that *need* to be celebrated. There is info on this site which may prove to be hel
Fran
Dec 07, 2011 Fran rated it it was amazing
Stop the Thyroid Madness
Author: Janie A. Bowthorpe
Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Misinformation is really hard to counteract when you don’t realize what you are being told is incorrect. Doctors have always been considered the be all and end all when it comes to patient care. Many people never question their doctors, research their medications or find out the side effects of what was prescribed. The story you are about to hear and the information that I will relate when reviewing this book will definitely
Verna
Oct 27, 2009 Verna rated it it was amazing
This book was a revelation for me. I finally discovered a whole group of people just like me. It is the bible for a certain segment of the population who do not fit into the standard medical definition of hypothyroidism and the usual conventional treatment prescibed by doctors. After reading this book, I felt fully validated for the first time in all of my years of feeling sick with thyroid disease and not knowing what to do about it. There is a current battle raging about the use of t4 only tre ...more
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-books
The bottom line is that Thyroxine doesn't even remotely have the same effect and make you feel the same, as Armour Thyroid. Standard blood tests for thyroid levels are also woefully inaccurate.

(Although mine have always tested very low since I became ill, this isn't the case for many).

As the `Stop the thyroid madness' website explains,

"The theory was that T4 would convert to the T3 needed for the body. But in nearly ALL patients on T4 meds, the T4 does NOT convert into an adequate amount of T3,
John Macgregor
Jun 19, 2013 John Macgregor rated it really liked it
One of the better primers on yet another thing Medicine gets wrong - treatment of hypothyroid conditions.

The author (a Texas housewife) did this research & wrote this book because no doctor could tell her how to fix her thyroid condition. So she did it herself - & this is the result.

Covers the basics of self-diagnosis & self-treatment - a safer & more conservative approach that risking your health with a doctor, it seems.

Poorly written & formatted, which is a bit distracting
Adrienne
Jun 26, 2013 Adrienne rated it liked it
I highly recommend this book if you have any concerns about any thyroid issues. I give the content 5 stars. It has great, thorough information. That said, I give the whole book 3 stars because I thought the book itself was poorly organized. Apparently the book is not written for "beginners" but rather those who are on the madness train. It takes the author until chapter 12 to explain what T3 is and does after she has been talking about it for 11 chapters. She begins the book by explaining medica ...more
Karen
Mar 31, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone on thyroid medication
I bought this book because one of my clients has an active thyroid disorder. This book came highly recommended to sussing out what all the lab test mean, and which ones are the best to run.

Since thyroid disorders run in my family, I figure it wasn't bad information to have on hand.

This book is an excellent resource -- IF you are taking thyroid medication. That is what it is geared towards. If you know you have thyroid disorder, and your doctor has put you on medication, likely Synthroid, this is
Trudee Hunter
Feb 25, 2014 Trudee Hunter rated it it was amazing
When I completed 11 months of rehab (at home under the efficient and professional guidance of www.pointofreturn.com) I thought most of my health problems would resolve themselves.

This was 'wishful thinking' at its finest. Getting free from prescription drugs unravelled the real reason I had suffered with chronic insomnia, hypertension and depression for twenty five years. HYPOTHROIDISM!I was simultaneously diagnosed with ADRENAL FATIGUE after learning how to get properly tested by reading, "Stop
Cody
Feb 06, 2011 Cody rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I think that the book can be beneficial for some. She does have her biases, but presents a lot of good information. Much of it wasn't new to me and didn't apply, but in general a good review.

I was diagnosed with severe hyperthyroidism over 35years ago. They treated it with radioactive iodine and so I am now hypo. For over 20 years I was on Synthroid 210mcg. About 13 years ago I found a more open minded doctor and he switched me to a combination of synthetic thyroid and natural dessicated thyroi
Lynn Serafinn
Aug 11, 2011 Lynn Serafinn rated it liked it
This book (referred to by its fans as "STTM") was the first I ever read on the subject of hypothyroidism and its treatment (or MIS-treatment, which is the case for many patients). It is a book written by a patient and advocate for the holistic and natural treatment of hypothyroidism and adrenal issues. For its intention, I give it 5 stars. However, as a book, it sometimes felt more like a collection of blog posts in that it was extremely repetitive throughout. Also, the author's view of correct ...more
Teleia
Apr 08, 2016 Teleia rated it liked it
There is some good information in here, but...

I have a strong background in science and this book really likes the phrase, "a large body of patients." Ok. Which patients? Where? Under what conditions? There's no way to know, because it's not based on science. Instead, it's anecdotal information "gathered" in no methodological way (that I could determine, at least). When information was actually scientific, it was nicely footnoted, but these were few and far between.
Angelique
Jun 04, 2014 Angelique rated it it was amazing
If you have hypothyroid?hashimotos and are still experieincing depression, exhaustion & other symptoms you NEED this book because the Rx your Dr gives you at the urging of Big Pharma, may make our THS levels look good, but only dessicated thryoid will make your symptoms manageable. This book explains how to get to the good Dr.s, what tests you need to find co-ocurring conditions and how to obtain wellness for yourself. I am so grateful I found this book.
Susan
Dec 19, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a ton of information in this book. I was reading it while recovering from thyroid surgery and it was a bit overwhelming at that point. However, I returned to reading it after I was healed and it was even more helpful. Definitely worth the read as it addresses diet and lifestyle changes that could help save your thyroid.
Kathleen Wojtkiewicz
Dec 22, 2014 Kathleen Wojtkiewicz rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone who is still not feeling well despite the "normal " tsh ranges. It helped me realized that dealing with the hmo I work for as a nurse by the way has doctors who are preprogrammed or brainwashed were killing me. I went outside to a private endo and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's after 5 years of Hmo hell later being treated like I am crazy and given t4 only. This Is the hypothyroid bible to me.
Nicole
Sep 27, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book is an awesome reference for anyone who even thinks they have a thyroid issue. It's written by a person with hypothyroidism who has combined all her knowledge along with that of doctors and other hypothyroidism patients. The book is dense at times and is best if read a little at a time with a processing period in between. Also this is a great reference for when going through symptom changes and/or thinking new issues have arisen.
Verna
Sep 02, 2009 Verna rated it it was amazing
Tim Gray
May 17, 2015 Tim Gray rated it it was amazing
Eye opening. You must read this if you've been ill and doctors can't tell you what's wrong. It's the final piece of the puzzle for my health. If you're hypothyroid you're mental if you don't read this!
Marilyn Williams
Absolutely essential reading for EVERY patient facing any thyroid disorder or disease.
It's your health, it's your body, it's your money; learn what constitutes a good doctor and how to find one.
Lisa
Sep 03, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Advice and anecdotes. The former has helped me with supplements and NDT dosage
And test results. My condition is slowly improving. The latter reminds that I am neither crazy nor alone.
Kathryn
Oct 19, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
A book for anyone and everyone that doesn't feel good and the Dr's. don't know why. A book all Thyroid patients should read. Tons of information for getting better.
Slbarto
Apr 21, 2014 Slbarto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The group (FTPO on Facebook) and the blog posts helped educate me on thyroid - the interactions and how the systems are supposed to work together. Along with Paul Robinson's Recovering with T3, I was able to resolve my thyroid issues and discover my underlying issue which was the reason for my thyroid disorder.

The issue I have with this book is the tone. I believe it will turn many people off and puts doctors on the defensive. In reality, I believe entering into partnerships with our doctors is
Ashli
Jul 23, 2014 Ashli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information amid a lot of anecdotes about thyroid diseases. Good book for someone recently diagnosed.
Krista
Aug 13, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Somewhat biased, but a great resource overall.
Julia
Aug 15, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This book is SUPER helpful if you have any of the issues covered. It can sound a little crazy sometimes but I think that's a function of it being written by patients who are tired of being ignored. It IS enough to make you feel a bit crazy. A great self-help read and good material to either take to your current doctor or to use to find a new doc.
Jlo
Sep 12, 2012 Jlo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends and family
Recommended to Jlo by: research on internet
Thank you for writing this book, and having a web page. This book is outstanding.Synthroid is a nightmare for us, but a gold mine for the pharmaceutical companies, and doctors. It's no wonder that lies & exaggerations were created for desiccated thyroid. Why would they want us healthier? Because it doesn't make dollar sense for them.
James
Dec 27, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-wellness
Great information on hypothyroidism and hashimoto's disease. Plenty of information on how to read lab tests and talk to your doctor. This book deals strictly with the medical side. For diet and nutrition considerations you will need to go elsewhere.
Amy
Jul 26, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I think this book saved my life. If anyone is suffering from thyroid issues, you need to read this and follow the advice step by step. Sad but true, most doctors don't know very much about thyroid and/or autoimmune illnesses. This book takes you step by step back to being well.
Ruby
Mar 12, 2013 Ruby marked it as to-read
I think her website has been helpful to help me realize I still have lingering symptoms. Though she seems a bit abrasive. Maybe even tactless at describing some doctors as clueless. So I am hesitant and afraid to get the book to inform them. TBD...
Justin
Dec 16, 2014 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, hpa-t
Mostly focuses on natural vs. synthetic thyroid and the problems with allopathic medicine/tsh testing. My problems are largely adrenal, if they were more thyroidal I might've appreciated this book more.
  • Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyles Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic
  • Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It
  • An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science
  • Principles of Human Anatomy
  • Herbs (DK Handbooks)
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • Mafia State: How one reporter became an enemy of the brutal new Russia
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • The Thyroid Solution
  • The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • The Menopause Makeover: The Ultimate Guide to Taking Control of Your Health and Beauty During Menopause