Start by marking “Turtle in July” as Want to Read:
Turtle in July

Turtle in July

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
"A book that is both fresh and engaging. The animal poems, framed by the seasons of the year, are sharply evocative. . . . Pinkney's glorious full-page, richly layered watercolors pulse with life. An excellent source for both poetry and nature units".--Booklist, starred review.
Published March 1st 1994 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Turtle in July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turtle in July

Linda
Jun 17, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2112, poetry
Recently received as a gift for a poem I wrote, I already love this anthology by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. It is full of delightful and jumpy descriptions of different creatures throughout the seasons. For example, there's 'January Deer', 'March Bear,, and "april is a dog's dream,' where is found a dog who says "we're going to the park/to chase and charge and chew'. The illustrations are gorgeous watercolors surrounding the words. I hope you can find a copy.
The Styling Librarian
For me, this was a fantastic poetry book to enjoy with my son. The poems were dying to be read aloud and after I read them, my son would say, MY TURN and read it with even more enthusiasm. I additionally think the illustrations were beautiful, so lifelike. Fabulous poetry book to share with kids. K-5 (and I loved it as an adult as well!)
Ileana Lindner
Oct 16, 2012 Ileana Lindner rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Author: Marilyn Singer
Title: Turtle in July
Grade: 2-3

This book is an interesting story book that goes into what different animals are doing in different parts of the year. It explains animal diversity and the structure and function of living organisms all organized into a nice story for young 2nd and 3rd graders to enjoy.
Sydney McClure
The style of poetry shown in this book gives new insight to how to write poetry. It doesn't rhyme, but it uses the way sentences are broken up to be poetic. Perfect for a poetry theme. Also, the poems are about animals doing various activities from January to December, and its very realistic.
Kristen
Apr 08, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, animals
This book includes a poem about an animal for every month of the year, and sometimes season. ONe of my favorite was Deer Mouse which uses repition of the word "get" and tells all the things a mouse needs to get without getting into trouble.
Candace Carr
This book would be great to read to a 3rd grade classroom about the seasons. This book could also be read during s unit on animals because students can learn about different animals during certain times of the year.
Julie
May 22, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
My kids love this book. Its a pretty fun poetry book, all about animals, and also has seasons & months. Its a fun book to get at the library.
Tessa
Jan 20, 2016 Tessa rated it liked it
Shelves: verse, picture-book
In animal voices but no supplemental text in the back.

Bear, deer mouse, dragonfly,
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Beautiful poems accompanied by beautiful illustrations of each month of the year.
Debbi  Tehrani
Debbi Tehrani rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Aiden
Aiden added it
Jun 02, 2016
Ellen
Ellen added it
Mar 13, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Mariah
Mariah rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Catherine Flynn
Catherine Flynn rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Libby In Libraryland
Libby In Libraryland rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Pat Morris
Pat Morris rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Sharon Maier
Sharon Maier rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 07, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Disha Sankhla
Disha Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig
More about Marilyn Singer...