Start by marking “Jelly Roll” as Want to Read:
Jelly Roll

Jelly Roll

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this jaunty and intimate collection, Kevin Young invents a language as shimmying and comic, as low-down and high-hearted, as the music from which he draws inspiration. With titles such as “Stride Piano,” “Gutbucket,” and “Can-Can,” these poems have the sharp completeness of vocalized songs and follow a classic blues trajectory: praising and professing undying devotion ( ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Knopf (first published January 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jelly Roll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jelly Roll

The Complete Poems by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanShakespeare's Sonnets by William ShakespeareThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotAriel by Sylvia Plath
Best Poetry Books
196th out of 1,573 books — 1,735 voters

More lists with this book...

I loved this. Great collection of poems that tell the story of a relationship, using music--especially American music forms--to trace the emotional arc of the relationship and tie all the poems together. The language of the poems is musical, the voice decidedly American, often specifically African American. Some of the poems also hark of Emily Dickinson, in their use of long interruptive dashes and short but intensely thoughtful and emotional phrases. The early poems in the collection tend to be ...more
Oct 24, 2010 Lindsey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone.
"Ragtime," "Stride Piano," "Errata," "Rhapsody," "Lyre," "Evensong," "Interlude," "Late Blues," "Elegy, Niagra Falls"

Excellent use of enjambment/line breaks; wonderful richness of "simple" language, beautiful arc. Best book of poetry I've read in a while.
Stacy Mar
i read quite a few poetry collections by contemporary authors. i usually 'doggy ear' my favorite poems. and while there are quite a few favorites in this book, i felt that the collection is so long that many of them began to blend together and sound alike.

the collection is simply too long. i also felt that the author is talented and has a unique voice, but way too much emphasis was put on the 'blues' aspect, rather than derive an original creativity/voice which the author has and that shines thr
Using a variety of rhythmic song forms, from “Cheer” (22) to “Ditty” (15) or “Country (& Western)” (79) to “Disaster Movie Theme Music” (84), Kevin Young’s third collection of poetry is an inspiring look at the intersection of music and poetry. The poems mostly deal with love and relationships, as seen through the shaded lens of an aged blues singer. But Young is a deft observer of current culture and he balances the melodramatic tone of his blues with humorous images and motifs from popula ...more
This was absolutely fantastic. I loved his form; his words very very sparse, there were absolutely no extraneous or unnecessary filler words. I loved the shortness of the lines in most of his poems. I just think the form and style he uses is really great. That alone would make his poetry absolutely gorgeous.

What makes it even more gorgeous is the way he plays with sound. There are poems where the words or phrases don't really connect much to each other, but that doesn't matter because they sound
Diann Blakely
*Jelly Roll: A Blues* (Knopf), Kevin Young's third book, combines street talk and haiku, Africa and Georgia snow, decrescendos and dream talk. The free verse poems here have a jazzy, improvised feel; they're nonmetrical but rhythmically accomplished and highly syncopated. Perhaps the most dazzling, if seemingly minor, aspect of *Jelly Roll* is the titles, which signify Young's knowlede of music and his willingness to play with traditions in order to create a style entirely his own. "Busing," "Ro ...more
Mark Desrosiers
I'm a sucker for that spare semi-autistic voice that Emily Dickinson invented well nigh 150 years ago, and Kevin Young's variation of it (inflected with Langston Hughes blues rhythms and John Berryman backwards grammar) is fun (!) and unique. These are not "difficult" poems by any means, but they are blunt, unrelenting, and re-readable (especially the lust poems at the beginning).

I wish his sense of humor didn't depart him so thoroughly in the death poems at the end, and the tedious "Sleepwalki
Gabriel Oak
Fun book of poems based on musical forms: the blues, ragtime, etc. The poems have a kind of narrative arc to them based on a romantic relationship, but most of the pleasure is in the way Young uses the musical forms as the basis for some incredible metaphors.
Big-time Belly Button Blues by Forever Young and Restless.
Jul 20, 2007 A rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
i stumbled on this in the library at univeristy. my favorite quote: from the poem "boasts": Wouldn’t be no fig leaf/ if I was Adam/ but a palm tree./ Once I danced all/ night, till dawn/ & I—who never/ did get along—/ decided to call a truce—/ my body/ buckets lighter,/ we shook hands/ & called it blues./ Mama, I’m the man/ with the most/ biggest feet—/ when I step out/ my door to walk the dog/ round the block/ I’m done.
Taryn Chase
Haven't read a book of poetry in a while and this was a pleasant surprise--found it by accident among the new releases at the library. His titles are all music-related--like "ragtime" and "jitterbug," "dirge" and "muzak"--so it was the theme that pulled me in, but the contents are surprising and sexy. I haven't enjoyed a new writer this much in a long time; definitely worth seeking out his first two books.
Renee Jaspers
I absolutely hated this! It is was monotonous and boring. He loudly places himself in the "blues" poetry tradition (made famous by Langston Hues & Sterling Brown. He is young (as his name implies), but arrogant. It made me feel like this got published because it would sell well, versus actually being quality work. However, everyone has different tastes in poetry, so I'm sure some people loved it.
A little longer than most poetry collections, but that just means constantly being excited for the next poem you know is there, and reading in a joyful instead of labored way. If you don't like Kevin Young's work, there's really very little I can do for you.
Kevin Young is one of the best poets I have ever read. You read the words on the pages with your eyes but they enter your head as music (dirty, gritty, blues). If I could I would wrap myself in his words and fall asleep to the rhythms that they create.
This is my favorite book of poetry of all time. I go back to this book whenever I need inspiration: the turns of words and phrases, the lust, love, and loss portrayed in the book, the imagery, all show what poetry is possible of creating.
Devin A.
i really like poem books by famous worldwide authors. great authors. if you read this book
you will be amazed
Anglada 6/2/2009
This is a great collection of poetry. I love the way Young's work feels. It's so smooth and small and stilted, like Dickinson. Like it's trying so hard to be perfect, but also hardly cares.
Gorgeous rhythmic poetry, sexy as all get out, sometimes funny, sometimes sad. I want all of Young's books RIGHT NOW.
Love. Poetry that oozes the blues. Language that rips out your guts. In a good way. For grown-ups.
Kevin Young is for anyone who likes poetry and jazz. You can hear the music in his lines.
Cathryn Cofell
Reading it again. Something about this book I keep returning to.
smart, fun poetry
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Miriam Young
Miriam Young marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Gabrie'l Harris
Gabrie'l Harris marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
ALICIA marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
  • M-A-C-N-O-L-I-A
  • Cocktails
  • Steal Away: Selected and New Poems
  • This Clumsy Living
Kevin Young is an American poet heavily influenced by the poet Langston Hughes and the art of Jean-Michel Basquiat. Young graduated from Harvard College in 1992, was a Stegner Fellow at Stanford University (1992-1994), and received his MFA from Brown University. While in Boston and Providence, he was part of the African-American poetry group, The Dark Room Collective.

Born in Lincoln, Nebraska, You
More about Kevin Young...

“Deep Song

let us float.
Joy is the mile-

high ledge
the leap—a breath

above the lip of the abandoned

the dark the deep.”