Start by marking “Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery” as Want to Read:

When their nineteen-month-old son, Miles, was diagnosed with autism, Karyn Seroussi, a writer, and her husband, a scientist, fought back with the only weapons at their disposal: love and research. Consulting medical papers, surfacing the Web, and networking with other parents, they traced the onset of their child's problems to an immune system breakdown that coincided with ...more
Published January 8th 2002 by Harmony (first published 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder

Heather
Aug 17, 2007 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: autism
This book was an unfortunate distraction to me after my son was diagnosed. It is a story of one woman's journey through what may or may not be a "cure" to what may or may not be a "lifelong, debilitating disorder". This is the sort of book one might seek out when they seek to hide from the fact that there are no miracle pills, no cures. It's full of theory, but no substance and backed up by nothing but anecdotal evidence and one woman's passionate testimonial.

There are far more touching stories
Iamshadow
Aug 26, 2008 Iamshadow rated it it was ok
Belinda
Apr 21, 2008 Belinda rated it really liked it
I came across this book accidentally and opened it randomly. What I read floored me! So I made a mental note to read this later. I recently opened it again, only to be sucked into it for hours. This is not my usual book. I was quite surprised to find myself so into it. It's really a great read!
An educated and ambitious woman finds herself dealing with the confusion that is Autism, when her son is diagnosed. The book reads like a journal, as it follows her journey to find the cause behind the sym
Sep 27, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autism, 2008
This book is an amazing story of a mothers story to understand, fight and (in this case) defeat autism. I started to read this book after my 2 year old's speech therapist thought he might be autistic after our 1st meeting. My pediatirican does not think so and we flip flop on this idea for the last two weeks. This book has given me the knowledge and encouragement to understanding my son and his needs. If he is autistic, he is on the lower side of the spectrum and we wait to have him tested. In t ...more
Ned
Feb 03, 2009 Ned rated it liked it
I went into this book determined to keep an open mind and was pleasantly surprised by most of what I read. Seroussi is determined to find out what's best for her son, and while I wasn't convinced by of much of her reasoning (as it depended on the shakey science of discredited folks like Andrew Wakeman), her results alone bear paying attention. My false hope detector went off left and right, but at the end of the day, trying a gluten-free/casein-free diet is something most folks can try for thems ...more
Kristen
Jul 30, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I read this book, I wasn't really sure I believed that dietary intervention could really be a "cure" for autism (in my very limited experience). I thought maybe it could help. Or maybe parents were just desperate for any shred of hope they could find. And maybe it'd be worth trying, even though the claims were unsubstantiated.

But, because this mother's research was so thorough and credible and the results are more wide-spread than I had known, I am now looking at dietary intervention in a
Teresa
Mar 27, 2010 Teresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I could not bring myself to finish this book. When the author starting coming off as judgmental with a bit of "if you don't do everything I say you should, you're not a good parent" kind of vibe, I starting losing interest. My son doesn't fall into the same category and every autistic child is different. The book has a lot of good points and I finished the part of the story that was her personal journey, but didn't get through the diet part, there I stopped. The diet isn't for everybody.
Aug 06, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Very touching personal account, certainly something I relate to on an emotional level. Not however high on my list for clinical information. I think the subtitle (A Mother's Story of Research and Recovery) would have been a more accurate main title.
Erin
Dec 28, 2007 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: autism
The story of this mother's journey through autism is inspiring. I would like the book better if it didn't try to convince you that the GF/CF diet is the "cure" for autism. A good read, but biased.
Bob Levine
While I admire the mother, and her continual search for the demons that ravage the mind and soul of those diagnosed with Autism, there was very little that applied to my son's specific situation.

There was a tremendous amount of expert testimony, along with other parent's, who achieved startling results, based on the diet she recommends. That being said, the book never delved into PDD itself, and the young adults who have been diagnosed with it.

All in all, it was a good read; hoever, more towards
Lise R
May 07, 2011 Lise R rated it really liked it
I've had this book on my shelf for several years actually, and recently pulled it down because I discovered that it was a really good source to find out about how diet affects a child with autism. Our daughter has some behavioral issues and we've gotten desperate to control them without adding and more meds, so this is the route that we may try. A very good starting point if you're planning to start a gluten-free, casein free diet.
Jadine
Jun 02, 2008 Jadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting and although I have seen children with whom the diet makes no difference this presented some extrememly fascinating stories. The diets are extreme and strict and I sympathize with parents who are trying to remain faithful to the restrictions. BTW ,,, not mention of stickers containing gluten.
Katy
Aug 08, 2007 Katy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: moms of autistic children
Excellent resource, with some startling (yet, logical) theories and very encouraging information. I'd recommend this to any parent of an autistic spectrum child. Easy to read, very informative -- though the timeline can get confusing. A definite read if you're concerned that your child exhibits early signs, or if you're concerned about vaccinations.
Lauren
Oct 30, 2007 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents or teachers of autistic children
Shelves: non-fiction
i've always been interested in autism since i've worked with many children on the spectrum. also, since becoming a mom, i've been very interested in the claims of many parents that vaccines somehow caused their child's autism. this book is one woman's journey through her son's autism.
Alaina
Aug 12, 2008 Alaina rated it it was amazing
A great story of learning and healing with therapy and biomedical intervention. Another ground breaking book, as it takes place at a time, when biomedical intervention was still very, very new. It is a quick read and includes some ways to implement the GFCF diet, as well as recipies.
Lynley
Mar 14, 2011 Lynley rated it really liked it
Very interesting, well-written, and helpful to any parent with an autistic child. My brother is autistic and we had wonderful results with the GF-CF diet recommended by this book. Well worth my reading.
Maree
Aug 11, 2009 Maree rated it it was amazing
Mom, this is the book I was talking about on the phone. I loved it, I felt like what the author/mother said was very credible and I am now a believer that diet can help with disorders such as autism and even other disorders that may be present.
Liz
Jul 05, 2007 Liz rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very interesting in terms of the struggle she went through with her son and the research she did. A lot of new research has come out since this book was written, but I still question the role milk products and vaccinations play in causing autism in children.
Ashlee
Sep 24, 2008 Ashlee rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. It is a page-turner, which really surprised me. I think this is for everyone, not just for parents of austistic children. We will all know and love children affected by this, so we should all learn about it!
Jonah
Mar 10, 2013 Jonah rated it did not like it
For five months after readin this, I tried the diet suggested by this book. It didn't work.
Also, the science is sketchy.
Kydio
Oct 25, 2014 Kydio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
WOW! If even half of this is right WOW!
Sydney
Jun 05, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
Enlightening
Emily Wolfenbarger
To be read....
Silk
Mar 11, 2008 Silk added it
Shelves: medical-health
one of the best books EVER about the connection between vaccines, food allergies and the autism epidemic
Hollie D
Oct 27, 2015 Hollie D rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating read. Of course, I didn't agree with all her conclusions. I did learn about a lot of research that I was unaware of.
Carol Kowalski
Jun 20, 2012 Carol Kowalski rated it really liked it
Great first book for parents of newly-diagnosed children on the spectrum (especially those seeking information on dietary intervention).
Bimala Khanal
Bimala Khanal rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2017
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Jeeschka
Jeeschka rated it really liked it
May 20, 2017
Jennifer Coyne
Jennifer Coyne rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • Healing and Preventing Autism: A Complete Guide
  • Autism and the God Connection: Redefining the Autistic Experience Through Extraordinary Accounts of Spiritual Giftedness
  • Children With Starving Brains: A Medical Treatment Guide for Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • Son, Rise: The Miracle Continues
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Asperger's on the Job: Must-have Advice for People with Asperger's or High Functioning Autism, and their Employers, Educators, and Advocates
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Laughing Allegra: The Inspiring Story of a Mother's Struggle and Triumph Raising a Daughter With Learning Disabilities
  • Rex: A Mother, Her Autistic Child, and the Music that Transformed Their Lives
  • Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic: A Medical Controversy
  • Autism's Hidden Blessings:  Discovering God's Promises for Autistic Children and Their Families
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts