Do I Look Fat in This?: Life Doesn't Begin Five Pounds from Now

Do I Look Fat in This?: Life Doesn't Begin Five Pounds from Now

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For any woman who has bonded with a stranger by complaining about how fat she feels, here is a thoughtful and inspiring guide to breaking the cycle of body criticism and creating a powerful and healthy self-image.

Let's face it, you're tired of dieting. You hate counting calories and carbs and fat grams. You're sick of the pressure to work out three times a week. Bottom lin...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Gallery Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Do I Look Fat in This?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do I Look Fat in This?

Rachel
I am torn between three and four stars. Three for the mediocre writing. I'm sure she's a great motivational speaker. The book reads like a big pep talk. Three for the lack of life-changing insight and depth of research. But, I would give this at least a four for the message. More women need to realize that "life doesn't begin five pounds from now." She does a great job of deconstructing the Language of Fat, with which women tend to bond. Who hasn't said to a friend, "You look great, did you lose...more
Erin
I don't always like "self help" books, but this is an excellent book in any sense of the word. And it's written for all genders and people of ALL sizes, which i really appreciated. She talks about finding out why we abuse ourselves, and how to stop the cycle with ourselves and with our friends.

It's a wonderful resource, and i think it would be beneficial to anyone who has ever said negative or horrible things about themselves, not just related to size.
Rachel Ebner
Again, I don't love non-fiction, but this was a good one for me cause it helped me really look at how women language talk about their bodies. And I'm totally a believer in the power of words and speech in our lives, so it is making me more cognizant of what kind of conversations I participate in about my body and other peoples' bodies. It went hand-in-hand with a Weight Watchers journey, which I have found to be a weight-loss plan that is more accepting and more realistic than others. Talks abou...more
Joy Weese Moll
Jess Weiner is out to decode and abolish the Language of Fat. She wants to rid us of the question in the title and all the awkwardness it creates in our relationships. She wants to eliminate the female bonding ritual of complaining about our respective bodies. She wants women to stop giving away their power and possibilities until they lose a little weight.

Much more on my blog where I fret about how to deal with an obesity epidemic and rising rates of other disorders at the same time: Book Revie...more
Rakisha
Mar 07, 2009 Rakisha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fat
Jessica Weiner has really written an excellent book for fat women, skinny women, and all types of women who have fallen into the trap of putting their life on hold until they can fit into their so-called skinny jeans. It also teaches not use defeatist or negative language when describing your body, because it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It also encourages husbands, boyfriends, and friends to not get sucked into the "do I look fat in this?" game, but suggesting gentle conversation defl...more
Farrah
Great book! Highly recommend it for women, teens, and men who grimace when they think of their own bodies. Perfect for the woman who has walked into her closet full of clothes and growled because she has "Nothing to wear! And Nothing fits! And she is gross!" Come on ladies...you know you have been there!

This book breaks the stereotypes and sheds light on the absurd ideals of what we "should" look like vs just accepting who we are!
Lisa
You can glean insight from this book no matter what your size. Men can learn from this as well. As women (and men too) I am SURE that you have asked this question at least a hundred times. Learn the detrimental language of fat that Jennifer speaks about. It can only help you to help yourself or other women in your life when this most touchy subject rears its ugly head, and I assure you that it will.
Dorothea
When you're saying "I feel fat..." you're actually expressing something else. What is it and how can you deal with it? The author makes good points about the whole "feeling fat" issue that women bond over. "Life doesn't begin five pounds from now!" Helpful for my "Body Image Workshop."
Soapykitty
Everyone with bad body image needs to read this book.I used to always blame my weight when I was feeling sad or stressed,ect without realising it.Now I've stopped doing that I feel way better about myself.
Marissa
This book made me realize how many times a day I think about my weight. Sad since I could be doing something much more productive instead.
Rosie
Aug 05, 2008 Rosie added it
If you are asking this question on a regular basis, this is a book you need to pick up.
Ger
The theory in this book is sound; it's believing it that is the hard part!
T
Pay attention to the way you talk about your body
Missy
Missy added it
Jul 29, 2014
Johanna A.
Johanna A. marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Tj
Tj marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Veronica
Veronica is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Very Hungry Girl Life Doesn't Begin 5 Pounds from Now Do I Look Fat in This?