Start by marking “The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)

The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon #2)

Constantinople, A.D. 1203: a great army camps outside the City of Cities, and threatens it with conquest. Within the City, a Greek witch and a renegade monk who is also a white enchanter do their utmost to hold back the tides of war. But even their great powers may not be able to save Byzantium's empire from the Western Crusade.
Published September 1st 1985 by Bluejay Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Horn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Horn

Julie
The problem with a continuation of an Alf-centered storyline is that I don't like Alf. He's not a good, interesting character and I want him to get struck by lightning.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
A capsule review ported over from my old database drew a hateful comment.
Both have been deleted.
April Steenburgh
Alfred is a monk of St. Ruan’s Abbey- devoted to his Brothers and his God, a scholar of rare talent, and very much more than a man. A foundling, he was taken in and raised by the Abbey as one of their own, and while his colleagues have grown to old men, he remains no more than a youth.

The quiet Abbey life that Alfred clings to is pulled away from him as he is sent out to the world, carrying a message of violence to the Richard Coeur de Leon. Once out of the Abbey’s comforting walls, Alfred canno
Garnette
This book is confounding. I appreciate historical novels because they show us how people in different times and places responded to the unique circumstances of their lives. And I appreciate fantasy novels which bring to life an imaginary society. But this novel is an odd combination of the two that doesn't work for me. The book vividly describes the shameful Fourth Crusade and the sack of Constantinople about 1200. As a historical novel, it works; both the Greek and Latin characters engaged my i ...more
Ita
Jul 07, 2014 Ita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, audio
I found this book only so-so because Alf was a Marty Stu and didn't engage me *at all*. He was good, kind, patient, noble. Boring. The other characters, Jehan and the family he ends up adopting, were much more interesting.

And his burns? He's in a hot dry climate and he forgets to protect himself? This was just an excuse for him to be "rescued" and meet the other main characters.

I will start the next book for the sake of completeness.
TheRealMelbelle
Jun 22, 2014 TheRealMelbelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 1204 sack of Constantinople and three day pillage and rape of the beautiful city and it's inhabitants is never easy to read. The author is too fine a historian to gloss over the brutality of that terrible event. Despite its bits of magical fiction the history is solid and these battle accounts are not for the wee ones. Another good story of Constantinople is Jill Paton Walsh's _The Emperor's Winding Sheet_ which gives a more thorough look at the intricate rituals of the Eastern church.
Knitwit Tarvin
Alf's adventures continue in Constantinople at the time of the Fourth Crusade. I am continuing to enjoy the vivid picture Tarr paints with her words. Historical fiction/ fantasy is not my typical genre, but this trilogy has been well worth it.
Kristyn Jensen
Apr 18, 2011 Kristyn Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than the first one. I loved the story line. Ready for the last one
KA
Dec 28, 2012 KA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Heartbreaking account of the Sack of Constantinople in the 4th Crusade. Good story with believable characters and character development; really well-researched.
Emilie
Sep 23, 2016 Emilie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I read this near the time it was first published, and I know I really liked it, but the details are a little fuzzy this many years later. I'll have to read it again.
Margareth8537
Jun 08, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Always enjoy books about Constantinople, although 'enjoy' is probably not the correct word. Perhaps 'fascinating' would be better. Thought this was the best book in the trilogy
Maya Morikawa
Mar 13, 2015 Maya Morikawa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Constantinople

While this one,mostly history,the building of the characters moves on.Getting to know the new people and the parts they play.
Alex Unterburger
Alex Unterburger rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
crystalis
crystalis rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2011
crackerjackheart
crackerjackheart rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Heather Urfer
Heather Urfer rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2012
Tanja
Tanja rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2009
Terence
Terence rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2009
Claire Walters
Claire Walters rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2009
Cat
Cat rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Jhaniel
Jhaniel rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Soo
Soo rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Paul Fletcher
Paul Fletcher rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2010
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Sparklingtonic
Sparklingtonic rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Dorikue
Dorikue rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2015
  • The Armor of Light
  • Damiano's Lute (Damiano, #2)
  • Kingdom of Summer
  • Spiral Path (Night Calls #3)
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Lammas Night
  • The Way of Light (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #3)
  • The Coquette and the Thane
  • This Crumbling Pageant (The Fury Triad #1)
  • Dystopia
  • Mushishi, Vol. 6
  • What Ho, Automaton! (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries Book, #1)
  • The Alchemist's Code (The Alchemist, #2)
  • The Stars Dispose
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the
More about Judith Tarr...

The Hound and the Falcon (3 books)
  • The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1)
  • The Hounds of God (The Hound and the Falcon, #3)