Start by marking “Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems” as Want to Read:
Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems

Amy Carmichael: Rescuer of Precious Gems (Christian Heroes: Then & Now #4)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  422 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Christian Heroes: Then & Now have set a new standard of quality in Christian biography. These thrilling true adventures are the best-written biographies for ages 10 and up! Driven by love, sustained by faith and determination, this young woman from Northern Ireland defied the cruel barriers of India's caste system (1867-1951).
Published May 1st 1998 by YWAM Publishing

Beyond Waiting by Rebekah SnyderThe Destiny of a Galaxy by Sarah HolmanThe Misunderstood God by Darin HuffordThe Destiny of a Few by Sarah HolmanInterrupted by Rachel Coker
Best 2012 Reads
45th out of 57 books — 10 voters
William and Catherine Booth by Helen Kooiman HosierPaper Roses by Amanda CabotKnight of the Purple Ribbon by Jennifer Leigh WellsVisions Beyond the Veil by H.A. BakerCharles Spurgeon by J.C. Carlile
Historical Christian Stories
13th out of 28 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Keely
'Amy Carmichael stood on the deck of the steamer, waving goodbye once again to her old friend Robert Wilson. How could she have known she would never see him or the British Isles again? Amy was certain God called her to India. Indeed! India would be her home for the rest of her life.' Amy Carmichael-a bright light for God, her love for the unwanted and outcast in India makes her quite an example for me. This book is very well written, starting in Amy's childhood all the way to her death. The aut ...more
Rhonnie
Soon after I started reading this I saw that it was a YWAM Publishing book, which is awesome and I didn't know even existed. Also, the writing is VERY simple and basic, but serves to tell the story very well. The story of Amy Carmichael is another amazing testament of faith and God's provisions. So inspiring and beautiful. It stuns me in a way (but also is not really surprising at all) what Amy had to go through when she first arrived in India as a missionary -- that even the other Christians, t ...more
Patricia
This is a terrific series...interesting, inspiring, and easy to read. We used these books as part of our homeschool curriculum when my kids were in middle school. Now that they are grown and done with school, I am doing a re-read of the series, just for myself. Truly, while they may be children's books, they are a wonderful, inspiring read for adults as well. There is no age limit for learning about great heroes of the Christian faith.
Christina Hufstetler
This is a wonderful book. Amy Carmichael is a wonderful example to all women of what true faith looks like. I read this story with my 12 year old and she loved her also and talks about her like she is an old friend. Recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
This is an amazing mission story about the importance of always following God. The path He has laid out for us may not look like the one we have in mind, but it is far sweeter than we could imagine. The writing here was much better than I hoped for and I found this book difficult to put down. We will be adding it (and probably many more in this series) to our family library.

Amy Carmichael always wanted to do the right thing by God and was frustrated when those who called themselves Christians s
Leslie
Es una biografía. Nunca leo biografías.
Está serenamente redactada, puede uno disfrutar la lectura sumergiendose en el personaje histórico y sus sentimientos como en cualquier personaje ficticio: con la gran impresión de haber tomado decisiones tan valientes y desinteresadas EN REALIDAD.
Gracias a que Amy Carmicheal escribió tantos libros seguro los autores pueden dar fe de los sentimientos que interpretan. Es maravilloso poder conocer la vida de una persona tan ejemplar. Gracias a Dios por la vi
Jen
I believe the authors took some license with this story and colored it with their own brand of theology. Lots of emotionalism and questionable mystical accounts. I would like to read a biography of Amy Carmichael from a reliable author. Those issues aside, it was a great story.
Christabelle
Read this aloud as part of our homeschool. The kids followed along and were engaged. I was concerned about the story as Amy Carmichael is one of my favorite missionaries, but felt they did well with her story. Highly recommended.
Amber
This is the story of a woman who made India her home. She spent time with the people and encouraged education among all children, but especially girls since they were not able to participate. The culture and practices in this area in India are greatly described. Amy Carmichael built an orphanage for these girls who needed an escape from temple prostitution. I believe that children should know what a gift education truly is and how these young girls had to sacrifice their families in order to obt ...more
Margaret
Dec 21, 2007 Margaret added it
Recommends it for: Lin & Lenoard (VC)
The book is an easy and exciting read. Can't stop once started.
-God knew Amy and had a wonderful plan for her life in India.
-She obeyed God with abandonment w/o sacrificing her own personality.
-She's non-traditional being mischievous and all.
-She asked God if she should marry or not and He answered for her to stay single and gave her peace about it.
-She was concerned about not having children and being lonely but God gave her so many spiritual children!
-God is faithful as she also did not announ
Larisha
Amy Carmichael had a huge heart for God's calling for her and for her Father, God. She cared for many children and as God led her she rescued them from a life of being destined to temple prostitution.

This book shares the many ways God used Amy to reach people who desperately needed to know the freedom of Christ!!

Our family has found this series to be wonderful--simple, informative, and perfect for sharing with the family. It is great storytelling for all ages. Amy Carmichael's life has been reve
Shantelle
I reluctantly started to read this book as part of school... and found myself enjoying it from time to time. I had heard of Amy Carmichael before, but had never really went into her story. It was interesting to be sure, lovely too, :)

The beginning of this book had a slow start, but did liven up at some point. Amy's times in India were pretty amazing, the children she took in so sweet, even with their sad stories! I'm happy I read this book after all, :) A great testimony.

I would recommend this b
Lisa Fischer
Great family read aloud.
NaomiRuth
I don't remember much about this book because it was ages ago that I read it, but I do remember that I have never liked non-fiction books, or hardly ever anyway. And I really enjoyed this one. Someone just came into where I worked and bought it and I was so excited. I think I will always remember the opening sequence. IF you're interested at all, I think you should read this book. It's a good one.
Leah
Wow! What an amazing woman and an amazing story. Amy went through so many setbacks and yet she kept pushing forward in her service to God and her faith. What resulted is nothing short of astonishing. This is the "children's version" but is an inspiring, quick, easy read.
Martha Valasek
I was really touched by the woman's life of service and her humble heart. She is really an inspiration even in this day and age. I have reserved from other libraries some of her books she wrote and another biography of her life written by Elizabeth Elliott.
Leatha
I enjoy reading the Christian Heroes: Then & Now series by Janet & Geoff Benge. This was not one of my favorites of their series but it did make me want to read more about Amy Carmichael and it left me wanting to read the books that she wrote.
Lynnae Spafford
This is a very encouraging story. Amy Carmichael was the missionary who made the biggest impression on me. A laty whoe devotes her life to serving God. And God's help in providing for even the most impossible things.
Amy
It has been a while...and even now no matter how hard I look I can't find this book...but of all of the Benge missionary books, this one was my favorite. Amy's life is a testimony that continues to live on
Amy Berti
Really liked the poetic prose this book is written in. It caused a great bed time story discussion with my girls. The story was clear and easy to understand for my grammar school children. Inspiring!
Jennah
Amy Carmichael is my favorite missionary! The author did a really good job explaining her story. All of her books are an easy read and I definitely recommend reading all of them.
Laurie Simmons
I really enjoyed reading about such a brave woman. I only wish I was introduced to her earlier. I look forward to reading more Christian Heroes by Janet and Geoff Benge.
Greta
I really enjoyed reading this book to my girls and learning about Amy Carmichael's amazing faith. I did omit some parts that were too heavy for them.
Craig Dyson
Another fantastic book from YWAM Publishing. What a amazing life that Amy Carmichael lived, giving everything she had for the cause of the gospel.
Lydia
Dec 20, 2007 Lydia added it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Wow, it is just an amazing book! It will always stick with me. I loved how Amy was always doing something even in her younger years.
Anni Pronschinske
Decent. I've read better. I've always enjoyed this series and I definitely recommend it!
Jaclynn
A good condensation of Amy’s life before and as a missionary.
Kristen
I found this book to be really encouraging.
Emma
This is a good book but hard to find!!!
  • Hero Tales
  • Trial and Triumph
  • Goodbye Is Not Forever
  • Pocahontas
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • And The Word Came With Power
  • The Narrow Road: Stories of Those Who Walk This Road Together
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Missionary Stories with the Millers (Miller Family)
  • The Middle Ages: From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of the Renaissance (The Story of the World #2)
  • Prisoners of Hope: The Story of Our Captivity and Freedom in Afghanistan
  • Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main
  • It Couldn't Just Happen (Classical Conv): Fascinating Facts about God's World
  • Star of Light
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
Janet and Geoff Benge are a husband and wife writing team with twenty years of writing experience. They are best known for the books in the two series Christian Heroes: Then & Now series and Heroes of History. Janet is a former elementary school teacher. Geoff holds a degree in history. Together they have a passion to make history come alive for a new generation. Originally from New Zealand, t ...more
More about Janet Benge...

Christian Heroes: Then & Now (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Nate Saint: On a Wing and a Prayer
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Keeper of the Angels' Den (Chrisitan Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold
  • William Carey: Obliged to Go
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
Gladys Aylward: The Adventure of a Lifetime (Christian Heroes: Then & Now) George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now) Mary Slessor: Forward into Calabar (Christian Heroes: Then & Now) Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)