Start by marking “Amy Carmichael” as Want to Read:
Amy Carmichael

Amy Carmichael (Heroes of the Faith)

People need inspiration like never before--stories of legendary, faith-filled heroes who met amazing obstacles with courage and even joy...stories of godly men and women who changed the world. Barbour's Heroes of the Faith series--in a new format at a new lower price--will inspire readers with the bravery, commitment, perseverance, and wisdom of these great Christian leade ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Barbour Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Amy Carmichael, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amy Carmichael

Stephanie Brock
Jun 04, 2007 Stephanie Brock rated it liked it
Nice little overview of Amy Carmichael's life. It tickled my interest in the tumultuous history of India (and China) at that time (turn of the century). I'm the kind of person who likes to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed, so I will pick up a more rich and full biography of her. She seems to be an extraordinary person - especially when compared to this day and age. Very well read, abounding energy, and fully devoted to Christ - beyond denominational differences. I like her.

This book rec
Victoria
May 09, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
I really feel inspired by Amy Carmichael and her willing Spirit and her devotion to Christ so early on in life. The fact that she allowed Him to guide her is quite wonderful. I don't think this book explained as much, but I am sure reading some of her 30 books would be more helpful. She constantly gave glory to Christ, and for that I adore her. Through Christ she helped people in Ireland, Scotland, and England who were looked down upon. She went to Japan and was willing to be among the people as ...more
Jessica Martin
Feb 09, 2015 Jessica Martin rated it did not like it
Not a good book.. Didn't care for it at all... One of the worst books I have ever read!!
Kari
Jul 09, 2016 Kari rated it really liked it
Great book into Amy's life as a missionary to India. Very readable, though it did leave me wanting more in places. I loved her spirit and personality and that in the times she needed to push to do something she did and the times when it seemed more that she should wait, she did that too. Her whole life, however, she remained active for the Lord, even into her 70's and 80's when she was almost immobile, she still kept writing. Very inspiring. (Loved the added bonus of hearing the books that she r ...more
Emma Filbrun
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Filbrun rated it it was amazing
I have read a number of books about Amy Carmichael. Her life is quite a challenge to anyone who wants to live for God. Amy held nothing back; she gave God all she had and was.

Read my full review here.

Hilary Walton
Apr 24, 2016 Hilary Walton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can not recommend this book. I couldn't finish it. The author writes with a theology that is man centered and with prose that is uninteresting. I doubt Amy would say that she saved anyone and yet the author uses this phrase often. I would love to read a book about this missionary that gives glory to God.
Megan  Burnham
Jan 01, 2014 Megan Burnham rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book about Amy Carmichael. Sam Wellman takes the reader through Amy's journey of her life in God's Family. Amy starts as a young adult and is just starting outreaching to unbelievers. Amy struggles at first. Later on She is able to go and help people in need more often without being ashamed. Amy feels a calling for her to go and be a missionary and after getting permission from her mother she goes and starts her journey. on Amy's journey to become a missionary Amy renews a ...more
Stephanie
Jan 22, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I give this book a much higher rating than I probably would because I love Amy Carmichael's story but I have had this book since college and finally just now muscled my way through it. Looking for another book about her that isn't so hard to read through..
Crystal
great book. Inspired me to deepen my walk with God.
Alexis
Dec 28, 2012 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book. The author left me hungry for more. I fell in love with Amy's sweet spirit and passion for serving God. I can wait to read more books about this faithful servant of God!
Lacie
Nov 23, 2009 Lacie rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
Aside from the first two chapters, which drip with attitude and sarcasm, this is a pleasant read which offers a glimpse into the life of Amy Carmichael.
Madeline
Jul 02, 2016 Madeline rated it really liked it
This was a very well written book about one of my favorite missionary's.
If you're interested in Amy Carmichael, this is a great book to read.
4/5.
Ariel Pressey
Aug 05, 2011 Ariel Pressey rated it it was amazing
This book will make you cry and laugh. I loved it Amy has a heart on fire for the Lord that led her to save hundreds of children’s lives.
Netta
Jun 04, 2007 Netta rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
She listened and obeyed God... loved Children, lived by faith... and lived in Belfast for a while, too!!
Deb
Aug 06, 2014 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book on the struggles and success of Amy Carmichael missionary to India.
Arielle
Jan 20, 2009 Arielle rated it liked it
Really good, lots of information, I used it for my biography/autoboigraphy project.
Gord Davies
For 2015, this is one of my top ten favorites. What a testimony!!!
Sarina Meyer
Jun 21, 2013 Sarina Meyer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Amy Carmichael is so inspirational!
Heather Patridge
Mar 14, 2012 Heather Patridge rated it it was ok
Love the story, but the book is boring.
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Emma White
Emma White is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Rommy
Rommy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Joanna
Joanna rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Rebecca Walters
Rebecca Walters marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Julie Pate
Julie Pate marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Nathanael Parker
Nathanael Parker rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Rick Cramer
Rick Cramer marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Jim Elliot (1927-1956) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Fanny Crosby (1820-1915): The Hymn Writer (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Watchman Nee: Man of Suffering (Heroes of the Faith (Barbour Paperback))
  • Tortured for His Faith
  • Held Hostage: A Serial Bank Robber's Road to Redemption
  • Outrageous Courage: What God Can Do with Raw Obedience and Radical Faith
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • A Heart for Freedom: The Remarkable Journey of a Young Dissident, Her Daring Escape, and Her Quest to Free China's Daughters
  • Which None Can Shut
  • Storylines: Your Map to Understanding the Bible
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • Thin Within
  • War's End: Profiles from Bosnia, 1995-1996
Sam Wellman, PhD, is a writer of numerous biographies. He has traveled to Germany many times and twice stayed for several months (in Berlin and Wittenberg). He blogs and tweets on Martin Luther and Frederick the Wise. He lives near Wichita, Kansas.
More about Sam Wellman...

Heroes of the Faith (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Corrie ten Boom (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Heroes of the Faith: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Jim Elliot (1927-1956) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Polycarp of Smyrna (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Samuel Morris: The Apostle of Simple Faith (Heroes of the Faith)
  • David Livingstone: The Pathfinder (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Faith Triumphs (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Heroes of the Faith
  • Beloved Heroes Of The Faith (Heroes Of The Faith Series)

“Unsaid was her conviction that all this was in preparation for some future endeavor. But what?” 0 likes